Time to Throw in the Towel and Tank?

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
Well, fellow Panther fans, another December has rolled around and our team once again is among the bottom five in the NHL with no realistic chance of making the playoffs. Ask anyone at last night's game, who saw the 5-1 drubbing by Pittsburgh with their back-up in goal.

The good news is that, at long last, there is real, young talent in Hubs, Barkov and Bjugstad on offense and Guds is finally starting to come around on D as well. We are also playing harder and winning a higher percentage of our games than before Dineen's firing.

The bad news is that our team continues to struggle on both ends of the ice in part because about 25% of our team consists of NHL cast-offs on 1 year contracts. Tallon is apparently still trying to engineer trades, but it is easier said than done because so few teams have any cap space. As the TDL draws nearer, I expect that trades will occur with the most likely being vets on expiring contracts including Goc unless resigned first.

I believe that the time has come to begin the process of calling up NHL worthy prospects to allow them to gain experience, like Petrovic, Trochek etc.

I am not going to end with a cheer to begin the tank now. Why bother? For all practical purposes, we are already bottom 5 team now and likely to be a bottom 3 team by seasons end once the vets get traded at the TDL.

Effe

Sep 26, 2013
Gothenburg, Sweden
How are we supposed to develop Huberdeau, Barkov and Bjug if we start to tank? We need to make them into winners that hate to lose, not into loser that don’t care at all. Also we will go into this UFA market as buyer (if viola keeps his promise) but if we tank then we would have to pay even more to sign any players. So no, this franchise won’t turn around by another high draft pick, it will turn around if we can get some good UFA that can lift players like, Hubby, Barkov and Bjug not another talent that might be something in a few years.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
If our main prospects weren't on the team, sure. However 3 of our top 5 young players are on the team now, they shouldn't be introduced to a losing is ok culture

I'm all for trading off guys like Flash, Kulikov, Kopecky etc, however, I don't want picks. I want young NHL /soon to be NHL players that can contribute sooner than later

mbitonti

Sep 30, 2013
Its definitely not tank time. You can only build through the draft so much (see Edmonton). This years draft doesn't even look that good aside from two or three people. We need to at least remain somewhat competitive so we can attract some good free agents in the off season to surround our young core with. I'm not saying we're going to finish near the playoffs, but even finishing 12th or 11th in the East would be a major improvement over dead last in the league. Players like Flash and Versteeg were never supposed to help us win a cup, they were stopgaps until we drafted enough young pieces. Bjugs, Guds, Huby, etc. are coming around but they need some good veteran mentors on the ice with them to teach them how to close out games and win. The majority of the "vets" we signed a few years ago are about to be FA's, or at least will be after next season, so its time to trade the ones we don't need anymore (Flash, Weaver) and decide which ones make sense to keep (Upshall, Goc). I'd love to go after Brooks Orpik and Patty Marleau aggressively, maybe even sign Jonas Hiller to a 2-3 year deal. Long story short, we've got our young core, losing won't help this team anymore (except in '14-'15 maybe so we can get McDavid, but thats a conversation for another time.) Its time to look like a somewhat decent hockey team so we can attract/overpay the good vets.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
It's the opposite of tank time.
From a business side, yet another tragic season will be cataclysmic renewal Time.

It's time for management to admit we don't have enough developed talent and figure out where to find it ASAP.

We ooze undeveloped young talent that needs a culture of winning and not losing.

Last edited:

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
So the definition of tanking is to lose purposely?

If so then no. However, you'll get the same result because they'll just lose even though they are trying to win.

If we stay around the bottom, I'm sure we'll be sellers and try to cut dead weight so Viola can kinda have somewhat of a clean slate for next season.

-ghoste

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
It is all well and good to speak about developing a "winning culture," but we currently lack the means.

Our team y-t-d has a record of 7W; 15L; 5OT. We currently have 19 points after 27 games and are on pace to earn a pathetic 58 points for the entire season.

The reason that we are doing so poorly is that we suck on both offense and defense. We have 59GF and 91GA, which means that we are only scoring 2.18 goals per game and giving up 3.37 (i.e we are giving up 50% more goals than we are scoring).

Have we played better the last 10 games? Yes. We have gone 4-5-1 earning 9 points. That pace over the course of a season equates to around 74 points, which is still 16-20 points out of playoff contention.

We do not have to try intentionally to tank. We are unfortunately going to finish near the bottom no matter what we do.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
It is all well and good to speak about developing a "winning culture," but we currently lack the means.

Our team y-t-d has a record of 7W; 15L; 5OT. We currently have 19 points after 27 games and are on pace to earn a pathetic 58 points for the entire season.

The reason that we are doing so poorly is that we suck on both offense and defense. We have 59GF and 91GA, which means that we are only scoring 2.18 goals per game and giving up 3.37 (i.e we are giving up 50% more goals than we are scoring).

Have we played better the last 10 games? Yes. We have gone 4-5-1 earning 9 points. That pace over the course of a season equates to around 74 points, which is still 16-20 points out of playoff contention.

We do not have to try intentionally to tank. We are unfortunately going to finish near the bottom no matter what we do.

16 pts. out is better than 30 pts. out. We need to win as many games as possible. And if you are selling off the whole team at the deadline, then yes, you ARE trying to lose. We should sell a few guys, but don't conduct a firesale. There are things we can do to ensure we win a few more games.

hockey dude

Aug 26, 2011
Just some thoughts from a resident cynic: Management has made the decision to showcase the young guns obviously by giving Barkov and Bjugstad first and second line minutes; are they ready for it? Probably not, although Bjugstad is beginning look pretty good. Huberdeau, I think we all have concerns!! With all the defence woes as expressed on these pages, I have to ask was Barkov really the right choice over Jones? Well of course it is too soon to tell but just asking.
Interesting to me how management decisions come home to roost. A couple of years ago we needed to get to the cap floor and brought in and over paid a bunch of middle of the road hockey players who are it now seems are unable to contribute and have very little trade value or are literally unmoveable because of their contracts. Jovo, where’s Fleischmann? Campbell at 7 mil per year, Kopecky, Upshall has had a good November; good on him but I’d trade him now maybe before his value sinks again, Goc pretty reliable. Versteeg was given a ridiculous contract and then shipped and we’re left paying half his salary for a couple more years, wow! Frankly, I’m beginning to think the likes of Kulikov and Matthias have had the life sucked right out of them by this organization and pretty sure they are still on this team only because when Tallon does trade them he knows damn well they will likely show him to be a clown (ie. Grabner). Gomez, Winchester, Boyes, they are what they are, enough said. Gubranson, Weaver, Campbell and Kulikov are legitimate middle of the road NHLer’s, the rest of the D, I’m not so sure.
Anyway what’s the point of this ramble? Hell, I don’t know but if you figure it out please let me know. I guess I’m just saying I don’t believe this management team is any different than the others that have only managed to keep the Panthers at the laughing stock level for 20 years. Promises, promises, the future is bright; You think? At what point does the future ever become the present?

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
I'd rather finish 9th or 10th (which is also a long-shot) than finish in dead last 16th in the Eastern Conference. At least it would show some slight progression and promise that our prospects are developing to make this team a winner in the near future. You can still get a good player having a middle of the pack first round pick with good scouting. I think we already have a great prospect pool. If the team finishes in a decent spot, it will be a hell of a lot more attractive to free agents than finishing dead last in the league.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
What is this myth that free agents are only attracted to teams that don't finish near the bottom? We traded for and signed two of the biggest names to come here in recent years in the summer of 2011. We barely had a team and Fleischmann and Campbell both "wanted" to come here. Bottom-line is money talks. You wanna win Viola? Well, opening your wallet is a good starting point. What happens when you're cheap? Well we're watching it with every passing game. It stinks.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Probably due to stability. If the team finishes dead last there is a greater chance of the Gm /Hc being fired and then the new staff could be willing to trade off guys who Just signed here. If a player wants to settle at a place and Not worry about being traded, and moving his family, would he go to a team close to the playoffs or a team they has been dead last the past two years?
Of course money talks, but I'm sure stability helps too.

Effe

Sep 26, 2013
Gothenburg, Sweden
What is this myth that free agents are only attracted to teams that don't finish near the bottom? We traded for and signed two of the biggest names to come here in recent years in the summer of 2011. We barely had a team and Fleischmann and Campbell both "wanted" to come here. Bottom-line is money talks. You wanna win Viola? Well, opening your wallet is a good starting point. What happens when you're cheap? Well we're watching it with every passing game. It stinks.

You have to pay more if your team suck, Im sure we could sign Crosby if he was a UFA this year, but we would had to pay way more then for example Rangers. Good players wants to win they dont want to join losing teams unless they pay way more then anyone else, then it would be more interesting.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

Campbell only wanted to come here because he knew Tallon. Flash is a nice 50-60 pt. scorer, but we need to sign a marquee free agent this summer, or else we will most likely see another playoff-less season in 14-15.

LUUUUUIS

Nov 2, 2011
Florida
I agree with this lady.
tank1119B-600x786.jpg

SeasonTicket

Sep 5, 2006

Campbell was traded for and wanted to come because of Tallon. Flash was coming back from an illness. Blood clots I believe. I don't think a lot of teams were interested in him at the term and money Tallon offered him.

CatscratchFever

#CatsAreComing
Dec 11, 2002
O-hi-O
Visit site
No player wants to come here, whether we finish last or just out of the playoffs. The players that are here don't even want to be here, and our young promising rookies/2nd year players are just biding their time until they can leave as well. It's a cap floor club, with a history of poor management, poor drafting, poor records and poor play. Constantly changing owners, GM's, coaches and players. 4 playoff appearances in 20 years. Every home game is actually an opponents home game. The actual hockey club exists to fill in the dates between Elton John and Selena Gomez concerts. The entire half of the lower level has seats that nobody sits in. It's really astounding that this crapshow has managed to trudge along for so long. Shows what a lease can get you. 20 years, and I don't even have a glimmer of hope that anything has changed but the names, like always.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
No player wants to come here, whether we finish last or just out of the playoffs. The players that are here don't even want to be here, and our young promising rookies/2nd year players are just biding their time until they can leave as well. It's a cap floor club, with a history of poor management, poor drafting, poor records and poor play. Constantly changing owners, GM's, coaches and players. 4 playoff appearances in 20 years. Every home game is actually an opponents home game. The actual hockey club exists to fill in the dates between Elton John and Selena Gomez concerts. The entire half of the lower level has seats that nobody sits in. It's really astounding that this crapshow has managed to trudge along for so long. Shows what a lease can get you. 20 years, and I don't even have a glimmer of hope that anything has changed but the names, like always.

I do agree that the lower level seems to be people who actually have a team other than the Panthers they root for. When that team is in town, they pull out the jersey they really support, but on other days they pull out the Panthers one just for the heck of it, but their heart is not in it.

jrockett1096

Aug 2, 2005
Miami
www.miamiestatebuyers.com

That's pretty much sums up the sad 20 year Florida Panther hockey experience. We actually before had a very dedicated Panther hard core base at one time but how much abuse can one take with the lousy play, constant owner/coach/GM changes and the biggest slap of the face, jacking up the prices of the best seats in the house from some of our most loyal long suffering and paying fans to create club dead. It's probably the most embarrassing sight in sports to see front and center a sea of empty seats and us real fans have to endure everyone thinking no one cares about hockey here because it is what they see on tv. I'm sure visiting players think it and we know other fans do so its not surprising no real player would like to come here when the impression is this is a market that doesn't care about hockey and its a miserable atmosphere to play in. Great weather and no state income tax is not enough to lure great hockey players. They are a different breed of athlete that actually cares to be in a place that appears crazy for the sport and play in front of large devoted real fans center stage. Being a devoted fan of this team is quite hard so I can just imagine playing for it no matter what the team is paying. There is so much wrong with this franchise that I can just go on and on but I will end it at that.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee

This.

Viola needs open up his wallet. If he is all talking like every other damn owner in this organization's history, we are doomed to be terrible forever.

I'm with most who think we shouldn't tank. We should try and at least be competitive near the end of the season. Being awful over and over again is instilling the same terrible, losing culture that we surrounded Bouwmeester, Horton and Weiss with.

We have a TON of young talent, but they are surrounded by 3rd liners. They need more quality, top-level NHLers to ease the pressure off the kids. The reason teams like Detroit, Pittsburgh, Boston, etc are good for so long is that there is a winning culture in their locker room, and in their organization. Every newcomer is introduced to it and immediately is held accountable and responsible for whatever role they play within the franchise.

Tallon seems to be pretty good in terms of accountability, showcased with him shipping Versteeg out earlier in the year. The problem is, if the money isn't there, the talent will never be.

I and basically everyone else is tired of losing. We have enough high-end talent that we've picked up from the draft. This team is ****ING FULL OF "potential". We DON'T NEED ANYMORE POTENTIAL, we need PROVEN, ESTABLISHED NHLers on this team. I promise you a part of Huberdeau's struggles is directly related to the fact that he knows he needs to score every night for us to have a chance to win. If we have a Moulson or someone else who can score, the pressure comes off of a guy like Huberdeau and he can go back to playing his game.

Like I said, the time for losing and sucking has come and gone. It's time to start making this franchise a winner. Now, how we accomplish that? Well that's not my ****en job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad