Line Combos: Time to stack up our lines

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
Its the new thing to do now, a lot of teams are doing it if they could, and more will imo. What is the point of having all this talent and skill when they don't play with each other? I mean you have a team full of talent and this guy plays here, that guy there.

I would even play nylander - matthews - marner for a period if I notice my team is playing bad. Stack em up, and let them work their magic together.

Let your talent work their magic and skills in the top 6 and let your grinders and energy guys hustle and grind together in the bottom 6.

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
Gramps here. Would love to see late in games when we need a goal. but the key to lines is learning guys tendencies and repetitive behaviours over time and to balance ice time over a game and a season. all great lines have a core passer, a core shooter and a guy who opens up the ice/digs/hits and retrieves.

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
You mean making Gauthier a second line centre? He has scored two goals in three game. Maybe Matthews drops to the fourth line.
Really Nylander has to be better, he has been bad. Even Matthews has played sporadically since his injury return. Leafs won five straight and lost their last game, and folks are concerned about lines and playing time. Seems like much of the previous 50 years have been forgotten.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
With everyone healthy:

Johnsson - Tavares - Marner
Kapanen - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Hyman
Lindholm - Gauthier - Ennis
Ex. Brown, Moore first call-up

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Marincin
Ex. Ozhiganov, Holl

Andersen
Sparks

Basically, I'm willing to use Brown as a trade chip to improve the D.

Reactions: ToMaLe and PuckMagi

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Kadri-Tavares-Marner
Kapanen-Matthews-Nylander
Johnsson-Marleau-Moore/Ennis
Hyman-Gauthier-Brown
Lindholm

Stack the top two lines like Tampa does and play them each 18-19 minutes. Split the remaining 22-24 minutes amongst the other two lines.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Gramps here. Would love to see late in games when we need a goal. but the key to lines is learning guys tendencies and repetitive behaviours over time and to balance ice time over a game and a season. all great lines have a core passer, a core shooter and a guy who opens up the ice/digs/hits and retrieves.

I don't know why you need to keep introducing yourself as "Gramps".

We appreciate you and we know your username.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Definitely this @ home.

Matthews-Tavares-Marner
Nylander-Kadri-Kapanen
Marleau-Lindholm-Johnsson
Moore-Goat-Hyman
nylander hasn't earned ice time period
if he's still coasting after this home stand it ll be tough for him

joeyjojojrshabadoo

Jan 25, 2009
Ugh.. Why is brown so high in the lineup. Come on Babcock swap Brown with Kapi.

It's just bizarre how bloody stubborn Babcock is. I get spreading the talent, but when players like Brown, Hyman, Marleau literally kill offence, it's hasthe opposite to the desired effect. And when you have enough elite talent to have two best-in-the-league first lines, it's just not necessary.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
WE are hurting ourselves by not stacking the lines. it's quite ridiculous. every other coach is doing it.

Reactions: ToMaLe

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
It's just bizarre how bloody stubborn Babcock is. I get spreading the talent, but when players like Brown, Hyman, Marleau literally kill offence, it's hasthe opposite to the desired effect. And when you have enough elite talent to have two best-in-the-league first lines, it's just not necessary.
Marleau is KILLING the Matthews line right now. Leivo was a better winger. Marleau has lost a MASSIVE step this year.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Marleau/Tavares/Marner
Kapanen/Matthews/Nylander
Johnsson/Kadri/Moore
Lindholm/Gauthier/Brown

Gardiner/Rielly
Dermott/Zaitsev
Hainsey/Ozaganiov

Sparks/Hutchison

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
is it just me that thinks Brown looks a lot faster this season?

He’s a really speedy guy. Unfortunately that’s all he has going for him. He used to finish his checks, now he barely bumps the defender and we have a ton of speedy guys who are much more skilled. Ideally we replace one of him, Lindholm or Moore with a more physical presence. Moore has the benefit of playing with a job to lose, lindholm can play centre and Brown, well, Babcock has given him carte Blanche to do whatever and ride shotgun with Matthews or JT

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
,Sure..take Johnsson off the tavares/Marner line which has been on fire....
If Johnsson is off the line then babcock really is a stubborn idiot.

And I'll bet putting brown there is just as a placeholder for Hyman..

This coach......

Reactions: ToMaLe

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
Kadri-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Brown-Marleau-Kapanen
Lindholm-GOAT-Moore

Just try it out maybe?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad