Post-Game Talk: Time to renew your Kostko memberships

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
That's fair, but even the PP time, he's going to get run down a bit. I suspect the Coaching staff knows, but it's a bad road to travel for everyone if it goes back to all these 2 guys being over played.
Not sure what is really expected when RNH and JP are out and KY was out the other night. Shore, Benson, Perlini, Malone just aren't everyday NHLers to make up the time for those guys being out.

I'm sure this isn't the plan long-term, but I really don't think any other team in the league that would be missing pieces like we are wouldn't do things differently. I should say any other team fighting for playoffs.

5 games under Woody he's been less than 23. The first game was 20 and 22, so it's safe to assume Woody is only doing this because he has to

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I agree that Bouchard needs to shoot more. Having said that I think our powerplay as a whole needs to shoot more.

Good penalty kills either smother our powerplay and give them little time and room out their to make plays or sit back and keep everything to the outside.

The Oilers are constantly looking to pass the puck into the back of the net and they need to attack the net and drive lanes to open ice up elsewhere.

Bouchard has a cannon that teams need to respect. It wouldnt hurt for him to take the extra second to walk in or wait for the tip/screen.

It kills me when we have traffic in front, a player walking off the wall with the puck and a lane to shoot, but then chooses to try and pass it back door instead. Drives me absolutely mental. Shoot one on the goalie's pads for f*** sakes.

McDavid in particular has been the worst offender for this by far.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
7 penalties in that game too and McDavid was out.

22 minutes in Florida without the Nuge injury.

Fair point about him taking on the McDavid minutes in the Carolina game but 23+ minutes in L.A. and against Anaheim (a blowout win) with Nuge so it's been happening with more frequency after the first two games of 20-21 minutes.

I'm aware that there will be some games when he'll be depended on more but he looks gassed lately, moreso than usual, so I'd like to see more 20-21 minute games and less 23-24 down the stretch especially when Nuge returns.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Severson? What exactly is your appeal with Severson? I only ask because I’ve worked out with him quite a few times over the last few off seasons so I have a skewed opinion of him.

From the little I've watched NJ he's looked really steady, but alas I've maybe watched a handful in passing.

Analytically, he looks really, really solid.

53.08 xGF%
51.83 FF%
52.28 CF%

All that while being on a really poor NJD squad with an on-ice PDO of 0.958 which says he could be better than his current stat line.

He's also signed for an additional year after this year and Holland said he wouldn't trade for a rental.

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Fair point about him taking on the McDavid minutes in the Carolina game but 23+ minutes in L.A. and against Anaheim (a blowout win) with Nuge so it's been happening with more frequency after the first two games of 20-21 minutes.

I'm aware that there will be some games when he'll be depended on more but he looks gassed lately, moreso than usual, so I'd like to see more 20-21 minute games and less 23-24 down the stretch especially when Nuge returns.

In my opinion, for a player of his caliber, 20-23 minutes should be fine during this stretch. If we're able to have a good month than we can drastically dial back ice time in April.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I know we all want more shots, as do I. But for the love of god someone needs to teach our d-men when not to shoot. So many times they are shooting and they don't realize that if it's blocked it's gonna be a breakaway or odd man rush. If you are the closes guy to our zone you cannot be shooting the puck with a defender 3 feet in front of you. Fire it hard around the corner instead.

Luckily Philly was playing like a team that was either hungover or drunk, as they could've had a few more chances due to errors made by our d-men with the puck.

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Ok, but I don't care, I'm looking at what's on the ice, he's the most obvious spot. Also Bouchard isn't going to be, nor should be at all, the #7 defenseman.

Holland does though.

#6 or #7, doesn't matter to me. Either way he should not be 2RD right now. He's been rough for a few games now and this is a meritocracy. If he can play well enough before the end of the season to earn 2RD, so be it; but right now he's not.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Happy to see Koskinen's game has been in resurgent status.

as a tandem goalie, he's generally pretty solid in that type of role.

Just need Smith to step up more, and we can go back to rolling them 2 on, 2 off

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Holland does though.

#6 or #7, doesn't matter to me. Either way he should not be 2RD right now. He's been rough for a few games now and this is a meritocracy. If he can play well enough before the end of the season to earn 2RD, so be it; but right now he's not.
Ok, well this is the reality with the team. You have to move Barrie out to improve that spot.

Reactions: OfCorsiDid

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
I had an idea in my head last night as I was sleeping, if Woody gets the fulltime HC job, can he fire Dustin Schwartz as the goalie coach and hire his own competent one?

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
I was just watching the Cult of Hockey broadcast and McCurdy brought up the stat that Draisaitl has been on for 9 goals for and ZERO goals against at 5 on 5 since Woody. That's 10 games without giving up a 5 on 5 goal when he's on the ice.

Boy, for a guy who is a sleepy, lazy, turnover machine who refuses to play any defense (apparently), that's pretty good.
In fact, his goal shares at even strength outside of a few rough stretches has been elite the last several years (a lot of which was while running his own line), pretty close to McDavid, so... just some numbers for those who refuse to appreciate this incredible player that we should feel blessed to have playing for our favorite team.
Sure he can be frustrating at times (mostly due to him being played way too much) but I see too much focusing on the negatives around here when it comes to him, similar stuff applies to Nurse too btw who is, himself, quietly having another stellar season.

Speaking of the Cult of Hockey and Nurse...

Darnell Nurse, 5. He made a nice move and pass on a second period power play to help set up a Draisaitl one-timer. Some good work on the attack, but a few too many major mistakes on defence.

Evan Bouchard, 6. Plenty to love on the attack, where he moved the puck and shot with authority, but some defensive slip-ups as well. Four major contributions to Grade A shots at even strength. He sniped a hard shot on net that led to Edmonton’s second goal. Beat badly on a 5-alarm third period slot shot by the Flyers. Slammed the puck on net for McLeod’s great tip shot in the third.

LOL, Bouchard had a better game than Nurse.

Does Staples even watch the games?

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Speaking of the Cult of Hockey and Nurse...

LOL, Bouchard had a better game than Nurse.

Does Staples even watch the games?

McCurdy's grades are usually the only ones worth reading.

Leavins pumps everyone's tires and gives out way too generous grades, Staples is all over the map and usually just looks a t HDSC for or against and slaps a rating down on that basis.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
I think we should keep resigning Koskinen to one year contracts. He apparently needs to be chasing paper to motivate himself…

Well, that and Woodcrofts new system that helps out the goalie out. And Koskinen is probably feeling confident and proud as well since his Homeland won Olympic Gold in Hockey.

Proko88

May 6, 2010
The animosity towards Koskinen is definitely a product of his ridiculous contract. It's not his fault but it definitely hampered the organization for years. I've said this before, if Koskinen had Smith's contract, he wouldn't catch nearly as much shit from the fans.

Koskinen is killing it right now, however. I hope he keeps it up. I'm a born again Koskinen fan.
Facts, could you imagine if smith was making 4.5 with a no move clause??

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Easier said than done however.
I guess, he's not as awful and useless a player as people here treat him. He's very good offensive defenseman who can move the puck.

There are teams that could use what he brings, it's just finding that deal "and trusting Holland to find it" ugh lol

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
McCurdy's grades are usually the only ones worth reading.

Leavins pumps everyone's tires and gives out way too generous grades, Staples is all over the map and usually just looks a t HDSC for or against and slaps a rating down on that basis.

Unless they're foreign, young, or - the horror - young and foreign.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Who's your captain bitch?

Drai has 10GWG's this season so far. Among everything else he does this should blow your mind. He's of course top in league, nobody else close, and ftr McD, has 3GWG.

Reactions: KlefDown

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Does anyone know how drai lost money?? Lol
sometimes during special/important games for either players or coaches, they put money "on the board" in the locker room and if the team ends up winning, that money goes towards the team dinner or activity etc

Drai probably put money on the board because this was the building he got drafted in and "lost" the money because they won

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Mikko has been hella good.

Give him some rest so he can do this again his next start.
The problem is, is that we really can't afford to give him a lot of rest at this point. We need every win we can get.

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019
From the little I've watched NJ he's looked really steady, but alas I've maybe watched a handful in passing.

Analytically, he looks really, really solid.

53.08 xGF%
51.83 FF%
52.28 CF%

All that while being on a really poor NJD squad with an on-ice PDO of 0.958 which says he could be better than his current stat line.

He's also signed for an additional year after this year and Holland said he wouldn't trade for a rental.
Thanks. The reason I asked is because he’s paper thin which is my number one concern for Darnell Nurse. I think Nurse has lean out a bit to much. I’m constantly seeing him being on the wrong end of the body contact this year. Hell if I’m being honest I think most the players are paper thin these days. I work out with Martin Gelinas in the Summer as well and he’s solid as f*** at 52 compared to the current players have come through my gym. Out of all the active players that I’ve seen only Luke Schenn actually has some meat on his bones.

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019
I'd say he's giving the middle finger to most of us on this site.;)
Hahaha! Totally. It’s kind of a final kick in the nutz to the fans and the organization. It’s like hay bitches look what I can do when I want too…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad