Time to praise the unsung hero..

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
Mr Brooks Orpik

I thought since we've signed him he's been a train wreck and a drain on our cap. However this year, with the young guys coming in needing guidance and the 'dirty but smart' plays that are the bread and butter of an experience NHL defenceman... I think he's really come into his own. Obviously his pace is gone, but using his smarts to make up for it and I think he's playing his best hockey now since he signed for us. Thoughts?

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Well said, I agree. Orpik won't wow you with any offense, he isn't fast, but position wise, he's pretty good. He's also won the Cup, and having someone like him with his conditioning, leadership, and work ethic around helps to raise the standards around here, and he is our main physical defenseman. There's a clip of Orpik with the Pens where he had 4 nice hits in like 20 seconds, that to me, sums up what Orpik brings.

Last edited:

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
He’s been really good. Saw him live last night and the angles he takes are fantastic. No wasted movement.

The other unsung hero, and this requires backtracking on comments I’ve made before, is Wilson. He’s had this sudden infusion of skill the past few games, definitely a force on the ice. He also brings speed to a team that desperately needs it.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
He’s been really good. Saw him live last night and the angles he takes are fantastic. No wasted movement.

The other unsung hero, and this requires backtracking on comments I’ve made before, is Wilson. He’s had this sudden infusion of skill the past few games, definitely a force on the ice. He also brings speed to a team that desperately needs it.
Wilson has been getting better, learning to pick his spots. He often gives the Caps a spark, and he's shown to be capable of throwing the opposing team off their game, whether by getting their face or under their skin. In time, I'd like to see him loosen up with the stick, and feeling more comfortable with the puck.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Wilson has been getting better, learning to pick his spots. He often gives the Caps a spark, and he's shown to be capable of throwing the opposing team off their game, whether by getting their face or under their skin. In time, I'd like to see him loosen up with the stick, and feeling more comfortable with the puck.
He had some nice puck handling moments last night.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
He had some nice puck handling moments last night.
Yeah, he did. To me, he just looks like he holds the stick too tight, but he's come a long way since a few years ago. Once he puts it all together, he will get even better. And for all the talk from other teams about him, "goon, thug, and having no place in today's NHL", here he is, a playing regular shift as a key component, and there they are, saying what they're saying.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Orpik was good in his first season RS + PO
Orpik was good in his second season (RS), but then the injury happened, missed the 2nd half of the season.
Orpik was good last season too (RS)
Orpik is good now, his ATOI this year, is the highest of his career.

Of course when a guy makes 5.5 a year, you want some points from him. But this is not happening. He's not that kind of player.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Have you seen him play this season? The three games I saw him with Habs he was awful. His offensive game is worse than Orpiks, and his defensive game is no better.

He was never the same after his injury.
I agree. Alzner hasn't played very well this season. I still think Orpik is over paid but he is playing well. The guy I'm impressed with is Carlson. He has upped his game since getting the extra minutes.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Would have rather kept Alzner

Emotionally, sure. I get that angle. I have 3 Alzner jerseys (one game worn with #47 on it, during his first cup of coffee w the team).

But every other aspect of the decision is a quick and fast No. Neither player (Orpik or Alzner) has a massive future in today's NHL, so you take the one with the far shorter contract. Add to it that Orpik has a larger role in the room and with the youth, and it's an even easier decision.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Orpik and Wilson are definitely under appreciated. Orpik's contract is a burden but if he were cheaper I would have no issues with him at all. We should still look to move him this summer, that hasn't changed IMO.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Well said, I agree. Orpik won't wow you with any offense, he isn't fast, but position wise, he's pretty good. He's also won the Cup, and having someone like him with his conditioning, leadership, and work ethic around helps to raise the standards around here, and he is our main physical defenseman. There's a clip of Orpik with the Pens where he had 4 nice hits in like 20 seconds, that to me, sums up what Orpik brings.

He was a beast against the Pens. Dominated physically in his own zone.

Reactions: brachyrynchos

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Orpik @ 1M after his current contract expires anyone?! :P

I definitely think you keep Orpik around as a coach if he is willing. He gives off that older Larry Robinson vibe to me.

Also, I take Orpik 100% of the time over 2017 Karl Alzner. Easily.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
You still take it. Many fans want to replace Orpik with another vet around 2M/2.5M per year. So if you can sign Orpik to this amount, you sign him instead of another vet, at least we know what he can do

I’m saying I believe he’ll want more $. Assuming he’s not bought out (big assumption) and is healthy, I bet he gets $2.5-3.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Its so obvious when 44 is playing well. Barely a peep in the GDTs about him, but if he has a bad shift or two....watch out, 20 posts about Orpik sucking. Wonder why that is? Caps fans hold a grudge against him because he was a Pen?

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Its so obvious when 44 is playing well. Barely a peep in the GDTs about him, but if he has a bad shift or two....watch out, 20 posts about Orpik sucking. Wonder why that is? Caps fans hold a grudge against him because he was a Pen?

I’m trying to be easier on him this year because I tend to agree with your assessment of me (amongst others) being hard on him. Feel free to call me out on any unfair treatment of Orpik.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad