Time to focus on the Youth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habsfannick

Jul 8, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
I started a thread for this in the trades section...

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1528473

but I think it would be important to discuss here also...

We have a really good young core and foundation set up but are still lacking a few key pieces. Although the team this year is competitive (as it has been for the most part of the last 20 years) but we aren't a cup team. Since the last cup the habs have made the postseason 12 out of 19 seasons but have only managed to win 6 playoff series in 20 years. I am sure that I'm not the only habs fan that's tired of just making the playoffs.

With that said although it is not a popular opinion I believe it is due time for us to start moving some older pieces that don't fit with that core.

The Young Core
Subban
Galchenyuk
Gallagher
Eller
Price
Pacioretty

Available
Plekanec
Markov
Gorges
Gionta
Desharnais
Moen

Future Lineup
Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-????
????-Eller-Gallagher

Beaulieu/Tinordi-Subban
Beaulieu/Tinordi-????

Price/Fucale

Lineup Next Season
????-Eller-Gallagher
Bourque-Bournival-Briere
Prust-White-Parros

Emelin-Subban
????-Beaulieu
Tinordi-Diaz

Price
Budaj

All just for fun so don't get pissed at me it's just to get some ideas I'll update the lineup depending on what you guys think

Last edited:

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Emelin is part of the core. We(nor any team) will never have a lineup void of veteran players.

Habsfannick

Jul 8, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
I didn't say this was for this year I'm looking long term vet will be important and fill other holes but I'm looking mainly at the top 2 lines and top 4

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
A team of only young guys in the top 9 smell Disaster à la Oilers.

pretty much, and yet there's still people who would want MB to sell all those vets cause they're supposed to have good trade value. :laugh:

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
No one is proposing we trade every veteran player and to avoid signing any UFAs, it's ridiculous that people are daft enough to think he's suggesting it. We're likely looking at one or two trades maximum that will move expiring assets for young players.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
No one is proposing we trade every veteran player and to avoid signing any UFAs, it's ridiculous that people are daft enough to think he's suggesting it. We're likely looking at one or two trades maximum that will move expiring assets for young players.

exactly, that's why pretty much every single vet is in the "available" category... :laugh:

most of whom who are undercontract past this season by the way... :nod:

Habsfannick

Jul 8, 2012
Montreal, Quebec

Yeah I should have made myself clearer... Most of the guys I listed aren't worth moving so I'd go forward with lines like this

????-Eller-Gallagher
Bourque-Bournival-Briere
Prust-White-Parros

Emelin-Subban
????-Beaulieu
Tinordi-Diaz

Price
Budaj

Trade Markov, Gionta as rentals, try to move Pleks for a good young top 6 forward and either wait for a good offer on gorges or keep him as a 3D to play with Beaulieu.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
Yeah I should have made myself clearer... Most of the guys I listed aren't worth moving so I'd go forward with lines like this

????-Eller-Gallagher
Bourque-Bournival-Briere
Prust-White-Parros

Emelin-Subban
????-Beaulieu
Tinordi-Diaz

Price
Budaj

Trade Markov, Gionta as rentals, try to move Pleks for a good young top 6 forward and either wait for a good offer on gorges or keep him as a 3D to play with Beaulieu.

Unless Plekanec gives us a top 2 D in return to fill that out, he has to stay. That still leaves one glaring spot in the forward group and that is an upgrade at RW.

Simmonds should be the target IMO, but it would be costly.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
exactly, that's why pretty much every single vet is in the "available" category... :laugh:

most of whom who are undercontract past this season by the way... :nod:

Why are you struggling with this concept? These are players the OP would be comfortable trading based on the parameters he's set. He's not advocating trading all of them, he's saying these are the players I would feel comfortable trading to meet my needs based on where and how I see the team competing in the future.

What does being under contract have to do with this? He's advocating trading these players at any point, not just right now, not just at the trade deadline, he's left it open-ended for commentary and discussion.

No grasp of the concept, no formative commentary, just negative assumption and belittling. If you don't understand, why comment?

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Why are you struggling with this concept? These are players the OP would be comfortable trading based on the parameters he's set. He's not advocating trading all of them, he's saying these are the players I would feel comfortable trading to meet my needs based on where and how I see the team competing in the future.

What does being under contract have to do with this? He's advocating trading these players at any point, not just right now, not just at the trade deadline, he's left it open-ended for commentary and discussion.

No grasp of the concept, no formative commentary, just negative assumption and belittling. If you don't understand, why comment?

of course, the genius that you are got it right away, you must now think very lowly of the OP as he felt the need to clarify his initial post hu ? :nod:

YOU are the one you talked about EXPIRING players/contracts, so you tell me what it has to do with anything :laugh:

that's how it works right ? you understand everthing, others dont understand a thing ? :help:

I'll leave you to debate wether we should trade player X or Y in 4 or 5 years... you clearly have a better understanding of how it will all work in 2019 :nod:

Dwight

The French Tickler
Jul 8, 2006
West Island
Contrary to what some believe, teams that are near the top of the standings don't suddenly up and trade everybody for picks - especially when a handful of forwards are still injured.

Except for DD, because he sucks. Please trade him.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
of course, the genius that you are got it right away, you must now think very lowly of the OP as he felt the need to clarify his initial post hu ? :nod:

YOU are the one you talked about EXPIRING players/contracts, so you tell me what it has to do with anything :laugh:

that's how it works right ? you understand everthing, others dont understand a thing ? :help:

I'll leave you to debate wether we should trade player X or Y in 4 or 5 years... you clearly have a better understanding of how it will all work in 2019 :nod:

I think very highly of Habsfannick as I agree with most of the concepts he puts out and the fact that he can express himself in a knowledgeable, respectful way.

If you didn't catch it, expiring assets are players with deteriorating value, their value as an asset is expiring. Difficult wording and I apologize if you didn't get it.

I'm just calling you out for consistently posting the same negative BS whenever this topic is brought up. He's taken the time to make a well thought out post on a pretty important issue, the least you could do (if you're inclined to comment) is to take the time to read and understand what he's written.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I think very highly of Habsfannick as I agree with most of the concepts he puts out and the fact that he can express himself in a knowledgeable, respectful way.

If you didn't catch it, expiring assets are players with deteriorating value, their value as an asset is expiring. Difficult wording and I apologize if you didn't get it.

I'm just calling you out for consistently posting the same negative BS whenever this topic is brought up. He's taken the time to make a well thought out post on a pretty important issue, the least you could do (if you're inclined to comment) is to take the time to read and understand what he's written.
the guy felt the need to clarify his/her post, it sure isnt cause I was the sole poster not to "get it", don't you think...

and huh, that aside, maybe you shouldnt comment on other posters, you're Mathieu Darche for christ sake :naughty:

Camio

Oct 19, 2013
Markov isnt getting traded for sure, unless the team is around the 12th place (and clearly out of it) by the deadline. The same can be said about Plekanec or any other vets.

No team that isnt in a reconstruction mode and out of the playoffs trade away their vets, unless its forced based on money reason, which isnt the case for the Habs.

If Habs were to trade away its vets, the same for any playoffs teams (and its pretty much the same for any pro sports), what kind of message would this be to the players on the team as well as the fans and season tickets holders.

Teams out of the playoffs sell. Teams into the playoffs buy. The level they sell/buy depends on the team's situation.

You resign some guys and during the talks, you make it clear you want to win now. The players resign with you because of that, as they arent interested in resigning if you were to tank. You resign them and a bit after, you tank?

You'd get a very bad vibe gonig in no time. Thats true in for any teams.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad