Proposal: Time to bring back the hybrid enforcer?

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Detroit probably has more cups in the last 2 decades than fighting majors.

You don't need to do it at all. Especially when one of the people you're talking about is KADRI. Most of this team can whoop Kadris ass if they grabbed him to answer.

And I have zero interest in paying someone to offset Matt ****ing Martin. What's a waste of time and roster spot.

SatanwasaSlovak

Jan 18, 2013
Malmö, Skåne
Given how soft this league has become...i wouldn't mind Sabres looking for ways to gain advantage by hiring some pure rats on the deeper-lines.

You don't need skilled players on those lines, that's a modern myth. You don't need skill to cover ice and dump puck. What you need is some players to get inside the other team's head. There is no team that does that nowadays, because all of it has become squeeky-clean horse-manouer.

SatanwasaSlovak

Jan 18, 2013
Malmö, Skåne
Detroit probably has more cups in the last 2 decades than fighting majors.

You don't need to do it at all. Especially when one of the people you're talking about is KADRI. Most of this team can whoop Kadris ass if they grabbed him to answer.

And I have zero interest in paying someone to offset Matt ****ing Martin. What's a waste of time and roster spot.

You're not going to assemble a HOF-tier team of players in the salary-cap era so forget it.

Also don't forget they had a couple of nasty fellas on their lines, especially in the 90's when they were the most succesful. Darren McCarthy probably would've dropped 95% of the players today.

ThunderD

Jan 29, 2016
You're not going to assemble a HOF-tier team of players in the salary-cap era so forget it.

Also don't forget they had a couple of nasty fellas on their lines, especially in the 90's when they were the most succesful. Darren McCarthy probably would've dropped 95% of the players today.

Kris Draper is another name that comes to mind as one of their pesks.

SatanwasaSlovak

Jan 18, 2013
Malmö, Skåne
Kris Draper is another name that comes to mind as one of their pesks.

Lapointe was no slouch, Maltby neither, Shanahan that damn hypocrite could fight aswell (dirty sob, wonder how the hell he got that job as the "power-point-guy"), Kocur was in the line-up and etc.

Physical intimdation has always been a factor in the NHL. Simply because of how the game is played in the NHL and especially considering you could just get a 4th line plug-player to take out their major offensive star player and that's that, he's out of the game, your goon is out of the game and your team won on it.

But if there's an enforcer out there, always ready to protect the star player from such **** happening, it's not going to happen. It's a pro-reactive way of having the rats under control. It's not like the refs can just throw the rule-book out of the window and throw them out of the game before anything ever happened (sure, i remember some *** games where Kaleta and Scott got thrown out without even touching anybody).

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I'd take back the regular enforcers any day... they add more entertainment than your typical 4th line grinder.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Sabres have players that do this: Foligno, Kane, Bogosian, and Carrier.

Foligno is the only one who has on more than a random occasion, defended a teammate with his fists

I want carrier to bring that
I think Bogo should do that for us more often
Kane had that petrovic game

Is my memory Bad?

I been drinking

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Foligno is the only one who has on more than a random occasion, defended a teammate with his fists

Is my memory Bad?

I been drinking

Jake McCabe has it in him.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
If not for the growing evidence about CTE I'd get rid of the instigator rule and bring back the goons. I miss it, it created rivalries in-season, and it makes buildings come alive, nobody sits during a fight other than some weirdos trying hard to make a point.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

Is my memory Bad?

I been drinking

Has Carrier fought in the AHL? I have a vague memory of him as a rookie getting pounded by someone on bridgeport.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
Has Carrier fought in the AHL? I have a vague memory of him as a rookie getting pounded by someone on bridgeport.

He also had five in the Q over four years.

You may be remembering Trevor Gillies jumping him and slamming his head against the ice in 2010.

Last edited:

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
No need for an enforcer. They run one of our stars we run two of theirs. Beating up a thug does not equate with damaging one of our best players.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

Is my memory Bad?

I been drinking

My OP: the Sabres have players that can play and fight. Foligno will fight more than occasionally, but the others can fight effectively.

Re: the thread OP: no, Buffalo doesn't need to. They just need the people they have that can fight well to do so.

Mar 14, 2015
And he got dropped from the Mcdavid line...

I still believe you need players who will enforce. Enforcers are obsolete as a role, but the mentality needs to exist in the lineup.

Foligno and Bogo have shown that mentality in the past... I'd like to see more of it

You nailed it.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Edmonton has one in Lucic, and he did absolutely nothing when McDavid was getting roughed up. So...no.

Edmonton has two of them: Lucic & Kassian.

I'm of the mind that it doesn't really matter. People will take runs at guys because they know it's more important for them and their career to take that run at the star player on the other team and deal with the consequences.

How often does Risto get praised for not caring what happens and playing guys like Ovie physically?

Star players are going to get played physically if they open themselves up to that big hit.

The better reason to have some guys that have a good blend of size, toughness, and talent is because that style of player will be effective, especially in the playoffs when that heavier game pays even more dividends.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I think the team has defended its own of late. That hasn't been an issue with this group. If it needs to be done it will be done.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
The enforcer is dead.

Fast players willing to concuss stars have supplanted their roster slot.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
The enforcer is dead.

Fast players willing to concuss stars have supplanted their roster slot.

Enforcers had zero influence on preventing those hits. Enforcers fought other enforcers. It was pure entertainment. Had little impact on a game.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Enforcers had zero influence on preventing those hits. Enforcers fought other enforcers. It was pure entertainment. Had little impact on a game.

Depends on your definition of enforcer, the McSorley's, Ray's etc were a sideshow but the Gilles, Schultz's, Korab's, Playfair's etc put the fear of Jesus in the other team and prevented them taking liberties

DeadGhost

Ugistered Reger
Feb 15, 2010
Edmonton has two of them: Lucic & Kassian.

I'm of the mind that it doesn't really matter. People will take runs at guys because they know it's more important for them and their career to take that run at the star player on the other team and deal with the consequences.

How often does Risto get praised for not caring what happens and playing guys like Ovie physically?

Star players are going to get played physically if they open themselves up to that big hit.

The better reason to have some guys that have a good blend of size, toughness, and talent is because that style of player will be effective, especially in the playoffs when that heavier game pays even more dividends.

3. Maroon had 8 fighting majors last year.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

I think my observation is that a team can dress a lug to toss with another lug. Or a fast rat who can catch a star player with an elbow now and again.

SatanwasaSlovak

Jan 18, 2013
Malmö, Skåne
Depends on your definition of enforcer, the McSorley's, Ray's etc were a sideshow but the Gilles, Schultz's, Korab's, Playfair's etc put the fear of Jesus in the other team and prevented them taking liberties

What? McSorley protected Gretsky for a number of years and made sure nobody messed with him. Same goes for Rob Ray who made sure nobody messed with Lafontaine or Mogilny.

Fact of the matter is, the enforcers are there to give the stars the time, focus and space to play offense. They deal with the rats, the physical play and whatnot. If let's say Lucic were to mess with Eichel and Reinhart during a game, an enforcer would have gone on to the make sure Lucic would pay for it.

If said rat ever did something majorly awful, it usually was open season on that rat.

Not anymore in the modern NHL were small finesse-players suddenly have to fight their own battles instead of focusing on doing what they do best. God i hate the modern NHL, just a bunch of *******.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
What? McSorley protected Gretsky for a number of years and made sure nobody messed with him. Same goes for Rob Ray who made sure nobody messed with Lafontaine or Mogilny.

Fact of the matter is, the enforcers are there to give the stars the time, focus and space to play offense. They deal with the rats, the physical play and whatnot. If let's say Lucic were to mess with Eichel and Reinhart during a game, an enforcer would have gone on to the make sure Lucic would pay for it.

If said rat ever did something majorly awful, it usually was open season on that rat.

Not anymore in the modern NHL were small finesse-players suddenly have to fight their own battles instead of focusing on doing what they do best. God i hate the modern NHL, just a bunch of *******.

And Lucic wouldn't care. That's the difference in the game now. Pests and guys who play on the edge aren't going to care about a Rob Ray coming after them. They'll get into their fight and then merrily continue on roughing up other players and taking liberties whenever they can.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad