Time to assume the Bruins will play Tampa Bay in Round 1

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
Why can’t blame be meted out separately between the coach and GM?
You think the GM gets the players and then turns it over to the coach and it's not in unison? You don't think Sweeney and Neely had a huge part in who dressed and who didn't in the play-offs and what lines were used? You don't think they went over every scenario together and had a plan devised by everyone?

Like I said earlier, the coach and GM did their job, the players choked.

Reactions: Gordoff

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
So the bruins lead the nhl in points under Sweeney’s tenure, but they are more likely not win a playoff series than they are to win one any given year.

Yet people don’t see the issue.
The only seed they have beaten that was "higher" than them was Washington in 2021. They lost to lower seeds in St. Louis, Islanders and Florida.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
That sounds more like blaming the coach and players.

If you think the players "choked" then you're assuming they have more talent than their performance showed. A GM can only put together the talent.

In defense of Montgomery - everything he did all year worked just about every time. There was no real way of expecting that it wouldn't continue.
I think Sweeney has put very good teams together. 2019, 2020 and 2023 were cup winning caliber teams IMO. He's done his job, but again at some point play-off success you would think would be looked at unless Sweeney is Charlie's Harry Sinden.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
You think the GM gets the players and then turns it over to the coach and it's not in unison? You don't think Sweeney and Neely had a huge part in who dressed and who didn't in the play-offs and what lines were used? You don't think they went over every scenario together and had a plan devised by everyone?

I think it’s collaborative yes. By your logic though you also would blame the coach for the players the team brings in equally to the GM.

Reactions: SwayHeyKid

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
I think it’s collaborative yes. By your logic though you also would blame the coach for the players the team brings in equally to the GM.
Fair. Regardless, spilled milk but enjoyed the convo. Let's go B's, pumped for the play-offs

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
What exactly did montgomery do to screw up last year?

The bruins were up 3-1 in the series. Had a tie game going into the 3rd of game 5. Then had 3rd periods leads in game 6 and 7 where they ended up losing.

How is that Montgomerys fault as opposed to the players choking it way?
He continued to play Ullmark knowing that he was compromised with injury. All of a sudden, he's a sieve in Game 6? He should have gone to Swayman much sooner. And he panicked with his line changes.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
He continued to play Ullmark knowing that he was compromised with injury. All of a sudden, he's a sieve in Game 6? He should have gone to Swayman much sooner. And he panicked with his line changes.
yep, he showed playoff lack of experience for a HC without much time behind a bench in the playoffs, let`s see what he does this year

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
Since March 20, the Bruins Powerplay ranks 32nd out of 32 teams in the NHL.

During this time, they are 2 for 27 (7.4%) while also allowing a shorthanded goal. So, a net of 1 for 27 (3.7%.)

The above production coming from a team ranked 5th in the NHL in PP Time-on-Ice per game in that stretch.

Simply put, not good enough.

Also since March 20, the Lightning are 26 for 28 (92.9%) on their PK while also scoring a shorthanded goal. So, a net of 27 for 28 (96.4%.)

Against a team like the Lightning, the Bruins lack of production from their PP will likely be their fatal flaw, unless they can change course quickly.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I still think the term choke is over-used. It's a good way to vent your frustration over something you have zero control over, but it's far less commonly an objective statement.

I'd be more inclined to suggest the bruins choked if the cat's ate shit in toronto next round. As it stands though, they made it to the finals. Kinda disrespectful to say the bruins lost vs the cats won considering how everything worked out there-after.

Reactions: bruinsfan1968

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
My two biggest worries about TB.

1. Their powerplay
2. Whether or not the B’s have enough secondary scoring to offset TB’s Powerplay,

Last edited:

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018

I do not think it should be put on the players.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I still think the term choke is over-used. It's a good way to vent your frustration over something you have zero control over, but it's far less commonly an objective statement.

I'd be more inclined to suggest the bruins choked if the cat's ate shit in toronto next round. As it stands though, they made it to the finals. Kinda disrespectful to say the bruins lost vs the cats won considering how everything worked out there-after.

highest point total in league history and blew a 3-1 series lead. that's a texbook choke. f*** being respectful to Florida

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

During this time, they are 2 for 27 (7.4%) while also allowing a shorthanded goal. So, a net of 1 for 27 (3.7%.)

The above production coming from a team ranked 5th in the NHL in PP Time-on-Ice per game in that stretch.

Simply put, not good enough.

Also since March 20, the Lightning are 26 for 28 (92.9%) on their PK while also scoring a shorthanded goal. So, a net of 27 for 28 (96.4%.)

Against a team like the Lightning, the Bruins lack of production from their PP will likely be their fatal flaw, unless they can change course quickly.
Yup you outlined exactly a potential fatal flaw

Bruins rely on Pastrnak to get the puck - Tdmpa has multiple threats

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
During this time, they are 2 for 27 (7.4%) while also allowing a shorthanded goal. So, a net of 1 for 27(3.7%.)The above production coming from a team ranked 5th in the NHL in PP Time-on-Ice per game in that stretch.Simply put, not good enough.

Which they did just last year in the playoffs.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Get two D men on the points, have no problem going with Griz and Charlie
Yup we are in agreement

Grizz & Charlie defenseman and laterally better then any forward

I’d pretty much keep them out most of PP

Pastrnak can stay out as well and go with

Zacha & Marchand

Coyle & DeBrusk

Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Dunno. Sweeney could have three cups if not for players crapping the bed and Covid
They were up 3 games too one , why would you put injured players back in, when if you can clinch the series those injured players would have another week to heal. The first thing out of Bergeys mouth I have disc.........

Reactions: lopey and Gordoff

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
I’m very curious to see what the B’s bottom 6 forwards look like two weeks from yesterday.

Who sits for Maroon if he’s ready?

Love it or hate it, this playoff format is making for compelling viewing for the final WC spot in the East as well as the cat and mouse game happening for seeds 1 and 2 in the Atlantic.

Meanwhile, Carolina is sitting pretty in M2.
Lauko should be the one sitting
I really dig the guy but he’s been pretty useless for a while

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad