TBN: Time for Sabres’ Grigorenko is now

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
I know camp cannot judge how good someone is. But what I saw from Grigs yesterday looked so different than what I saw last year. The guy seems much more confident. Something that was sorely lacking last year. He also is using his body for positioning on the puck which he did never did last year when he tried to "dangle" his way around everyone like he did in juniors. I see a different looking Grigs coming up this year if given the opportunity with some PP time. His one timer looked incredible yesterday. Maybe he can get that slot one timer going like Stamkos scores on 40% of his goals.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
lets not rely too heavily on the kid, he will probably be making a dash for Russia in a few years.

isnt that what they all do?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
That's cool to hear about his progression in the latest Sabres development camp. As a habs fan he'll be interesting to watch this year. I hope he sticks.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
My excitement for Grigorenko has increased this offseason. Really sounds like he wants to be great.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
He just looked sooooo far away last year. It's so hard to be optimistic in that what we saw can turn into a top line talent.

Grigo reminded me a lot of Henrik Sedin in his first NHL season. Kind of akward, slow to react, etc. And IIRC, Sedin has a few years of SEL hockey under his belt by that point.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
He just looked sooooo far away last year. It's so hard to be optimistic in that what we saw can turn into a top line talent.

Look no further than the final game of the season. That was unquestionably a performance from a top line talent (at 18 years old).

I think a better phrasing of it would be, "can he turn into a consistent top line talent?"... we'll see.

zbubble

Jul 29, 2005
Cool, sorry. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised, though, if the Sabres training staff tells Cody what they think would help and then CoHo makes all his own decisions. If working with all the great studs at Gary's camp seems more attractive to him, or if he just feels weird getting coached by a woman, maybe he might not take advantage of the opportunity.

Obviously, I don't know the ins and outs. But I wouldn't presume that our trainers can control Cody's offseason regimen or that athletes necessarily always make the best training decisions for themselves (see Tyler Myers).

Sometimes the real answers are so much easier than the debate. All you have to do is google "Cody Hodgson Dawn Braid" and you get nice little tidbits like this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/03/s...-the-bus-and-cory-hodgson-navigates.html?_r=0
After last season, in which he had 3 goals and 8 points in 20 games with Buffalo, Hodgson got what he needed, a healthy summer.

Hodgson also had an opportunity to play 19 games with Rochester during the lockout despite breaking his hand.

In this season’s opener, he was noticeably faster playing alongside Vanek and Pominville.

“Working out with Gary Roberts gave me that extra power and agility,†Hodgson said, “and also working with our skating instructor, Dawn Braid — she’s been really instrumental. I have a lot of people to thank.â€

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121229/SPORTS/121229314&template=printart
“I kept in good shape,†said Hodgson, who skated with a long list of people that ranged from Sabres skating consultant Dawn Braid to the Amerks’ defensemen to the coaching staffs of Rochester and Buffalo. “I’ve probably been on the ice more than I would have if I’d have kept playing, but I feel comfortable out there and things are clicking.â€

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130120/SPORTS/130129916/1004
Observers have been critical of Hodgson’s speed, but he appears to have added quickness.

He was noticeably faster during training camp and the intrasquad scrimmage, which he attributes to working with trainer Gary Roberts and Sabres skating consultant Dawn Braid.

“It was awesome just to get a full regimen under my belt this summer and just come in in great shape,†said Hodgson, who was plagued by back trouble in prior offseasons. “Working with Dawn Braid helps a lot, too. In Rochester, she would come in basically once a weekand work with the guys.â€

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Any recent interviews with him? I saw a short one the other day and his English seemed really good.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
I love his commitment and work ethic. Hopefully we see a sophomore surge.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Careful...Mikey Mike thinks the only people who can criticize him have journalism degrees. :D

I love that line. No offense to journalism majors, you learn how to do a job, but that doesn't mean that you have any particular expertise with respect to the subject you're reporting on. A journalism degree doesn't make you any more qualified to argue with a scientist whose interview you're taking, and it doesn't make you more qualified to tell a hockey team how to run. You'd better be able to stand on the strength of your ideas or else just report the score.

But I've seen him drop that line before, and it's just so childish and self-aggrandizing. I don't read his work anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad