Confirmed with Link: Timashov traded to NYI

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
For future considerations?

What in the hell was the point of this? Why not just sign him? And if he refused to sign with us then too bad...retain his rights or trade him for an actual asset. I feel like this is Timashov not wanting to sign with us, so Yzerman just made the deal to give him his wish. I just don't understand what the point of trading him for "future considerations" was. You tell the Islanders if you really want him, give us a 4th, or you don't get him.

Reactions: Gniwder

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I am a little surprised Detroit didn't ask for JHS. Each youngster looking for a fresh start. JHS requested a trade last yr and was probably shocked and unhappy the isles qualified him. My guess is he'd hoped to get a training camp tryout with another organization. I'd like to see him stick and succeed in the nhl. Even in another organization.
Any idea if SY ever showed interest in JHS?

Yzerman is big on character, guessing he isn't interested in him. Last guy he gambled on in that department was DeAngelo and while he seems to have figured out contributing in New York, they moved on from that gamble quickly in Tampa. He moved Downey in a hurry. Yzerman isn't a controversy guy in his dressing room traditionally. MSL wants out, see you later as an example of a guy even most people liked...

I am kind of disappointed in terms of Timashov but it also seems to be pointing towards us not having him this year when we were hearing about his contract a while ago and moving in a different direction. With the Tampa rumors that make sense and between Timashov and Svechnikov I am more inclined to keep Svechnikov right now as a Wings fan. Most will say here to get rid of the fourth line, I don't lose a ton of sleep on these kind of depth decisions anymore though so maybe I am just not as hot to react anymore on this kind of stuff.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

What in the hell was the point of this? Why not just sign him? And if he refused to sign with us then too bad...retain his rights or trade him for an actual asset. I feel like this is Timashov not wanting to sign with us, so Yzerman just made the deal to give him his wish. I just don't understand what the point of trading him for "future considerations" was. You tell the Islanders if you really want him, give us a 4th, or you don't get him.
7th. Does Draper have any more kids we can pick?

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007

Timashov was waiver fodder last year, and didn't really do anything to increase his stock in the interim. Nobody was giving up a 4th for him.

This was mostly a professional courtesy. Timashov wanted more money and/or a larger guaranteed role than Yzerman was willing to offer. The two sides couldn't agree, and so rather than tanking Timashov's NHL prospects out of spite, Yzerman did the adult thing and shipped him to a team that I have to believe is willing to give him something closer to what he wants. Non-asshole GMs have done this numerous times over the years.

In the end, this is a very inconsequential transaction for Detroit. Timashov has some promise with his ability to possess and protect the puck, but his skating and one-dimensional play style keeps his ceiling pretty low.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Trade ernie helm

Helm will likely be shopped by the deadline this next season.

Erne I believe still has a role to play in this organization. Detroit must expose 2 forwards in the expansion draft that meet certain contract and games-played criteria. They only have 3 forwards in the system who either meet those criteria or could be made to meet those criteria before the expansion draft pretty easily: Namestnikov (criteria met), Nielsen (needs 10 GP this season), and Erne (needs 14 GP this season and must be re-signed). I suspect, in terms of who gets protected, Namestnikov is currently on the fence, depending on the development of other players like Svechnikov and Smith). But if the Wings decide to protect Namestnikov, then Erne will likely see his 14 games and re-signed to another 1-year contract as an RFA.

Simply put, Erne isn't going anywhere. Not yet. Not unless they decide to expose Namestnikov, or acquire another player (Johnson?) who can meet the requirements for mandatory exposure.

Last edited:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Yzerman is big on character, guessing he isn't interested in him. Last guy he gambled on in that department was DeAngelo and while he seems to have figured out contributing in New York, they moved on from that gamble quickly in Tampa. He moved Downey in a hurry. Yzerman isn't a controversy guy in his dressing room traditionally. MSL wants out, see you later as an example of a guy even most people liked...

I am kind of disappointed in terms of Timashov but it also seems to be pointing towards us not having him this year when we were hearing about his contract a while ago and moving in a different direction. With the Tampa rumors that make sense and between Timashov and Svechnikov I am more inclined to keep Svechnikov right now as a Wings fan. Most will say here to get rid of the fourth line, I don't lose a ton of sleep on these kind of depth decisions anymore though so maybe I am just not as hot to react anymore on this kind of stuff.

Your comment about SY being a big character guy answers my question, about why SY did not take a low risk gamble on JHS.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
This is really a nothing either way. He didn't play so great to guarantee a spot, and no one was giving up anything worthwhile in return. Even if we got a 4th, big whoop, as most of them are lesser than Timashov is anyhow, on top of no one was likely giving that up for him, otherwise Steve would have taken a 4th over futures/nothing.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

The point was you aren't a spiteful dick to players. If you're a spiteful dick to players, you get that reputation around the league and people you actually care about signing or trading for won't want to come here. I don't see the point in being a petty dick just to maybe get a fourth round pick.

7th. Does Draper have any more kids we can pick?

Ha ha ha... Draper picked his own son and I'm still really pissed about that for some f***ing reason. I will never understand the things that turn into burning hatred. Dmytro Timashov was literally a free asset. We picked him up off of waivers and gave him like 150k or something for his time here, such and such amount of games, and we let him go on his merry way.

Moves like this are why Yzerman has the great reputation with players around the league. He is a dick and all business when it behooves his team for him to be. When it is inconsequential like this? He can extend the life boat and make the call to a guy's next employer.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
The point was you aren't a spiteful dick to players. If you're a spiteful dick to players, you get that reputation around the league and people you actually care about signing or trading for won't want to come here. I don't see the point in being a petty dick just to maybe get a fourth round pick.

Ha ha ha... Draper picked his own son and I'm still really pissed about that for some f***ing reason. I will never understand the things that turn into burning hatred. Dmytro Timashov was literally a free asset. We picked him up off of waivers and gave him like 150k or something for his time here, such and such amount of games, and we let him go on his merry way.

Moves like this are why Yzerman has the great reputation with players around the league. He is a dick and all business when it behooves his team for him to be. When it is inconsequential like this? He can extend the life boat and make the call to a guy's next employer.
I'm not pissed, but I agree it was a wasted pick.

Obviously, I was joking a bit, but I think Stevie should have asked for a 7th instead of future considerations. Something is better than nothing...

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I'm not pissed, but I agree it was a wasted pick.

Obviously, I was joking a bit, but I think Stevie should have asked for a 7th instead of future considerations. Something is better than nothing...

Well. He might have. We'll never know. We also don't know what is outlined in the trade paperwork under "future considerations." That info is not publicly disclosed. It might amount to virtually nothing (like that minor leaguer back in the day who got traded for a glove dryer), or it could actually be a conditional pick that is dependent on Timashov signing or playing X number of games, or whatever.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I'm assuming it's something agreed upon already if he meets certain stipulations and actually even plays as an Islander.

I'd of signed him but whatever. In a covid short season he could of been packaged or something at the deadline to finalize a deal or something idk. Like most I think he had more value than this but it's clear Yzerman didn't really wanna sign him or have him around.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Well. He might have. We'll never know. We also don't know what is outlined in the trade paperwork under "future considerations." That info is not publicly disclosed. It might amount to virtually nothing (like that minor leaguer back in the day who got traded for a glove dryer), or it could actually be a conditional pick that is dependent on Timashov signing or playing X number of games, or whatever.
A conditional pick would be mentioned as a conditional pick. Future consideration usually winds up being an AHL plug. Sometimes warm bodies are needed in the AHL when players are called up.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
A conditional pick would be mentioned as a conditional pick. Future consideration usually winds up being an AHL plug. Sometimes warm bodies are needed in the AHL when players are called up.

Good point on the conditional pick. As for the AHLer, didn't the last CBA essentially eliminate the "player to be named later" option? Maybe that doesn't apply to AHLers? Just another topic I remember reading about in detail back in the day but now my alcohol-riddled hippocampus just continuously fails me.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Good point on the conditional pick. As for the AHLer, didn't the last CBA essentially eliminate the "player to be named later" option? Maybe that doesn't apply to AHLers? Just another topic I remember reading about in detail back in the day but now my alcohol-riddled hippocampus just continuously fails me.
The only trade rule change in the CBA was that re-signing can no longer be a criteria for conditional trades.

I am not aware of any warm body rules.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad