Tim Thomas vs Sergei Bobrovsky

Tim Thomas vs Sergei Bobrovsky

• Total voters

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Its not just the kid years with Bob.

Last 5 seasons, he has only 1 year with a GAA under 2.40, the Vezina year. In the other 4 his GAA combined is over 2.60
That's not exactly a major criticism, IMO. Overall, Bob's been one of the top goalies in the league since he joined Columbus. His SV% has been better than .920 for four of his seven seasons with them, which is pretty great. His only down year was in 2015/16 when I believe he was injured. He's in the top three or four when it comes to sustained consistent quality.

His single biggest anchor has been that godawful playoff record. If that gets fixed, we can remove the "Yeah, but" from his reputation.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Thomas, but if Bob leads a wild card into a Cup, it's him. So, the third option.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
right, a groin injury that lasted 4 years?

dont forget Thomas missed 2/3 of 2010 with bad hips and had surgery before the 2011 season

Update: Blue Jackets' Bobrovsky placed on IR with groin strain, out indefinitely - TheHockeyNews

Bobrovsky never had more than two years between Vezina votes by the way, and that was exactly his worst period regarding injuries. Thomas was at same age a mediocre goalie in the Finnish league not because of injuries, but because he was not good enough to play in the NHL.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Thomas definitely had a higher peak and that '11 Smythe was probably the second most dominant individual run to a cup in the new millennium (only behind '09 Geno). However, Bob is still a young guy and he's already sustained his greatness for a longer period of time than TT did. Also, his lone hole in his resume (playoff #s) is being promptly erased at this very moment.

If CBJ wins the cup and Bob wins CS, then I'd definitely put him ahead of TT, but for now I'd still give Thomas the edge due to his playoff peak.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I'll go with Thomas, based on him spiking higher. However, sustained performance will eventually tilt the needle towards Bobrovsky, assuming he puts up a few more high-end seasons. Obviously, this year's playoffs might move him much closer in a hurry. But for now, Thomas almost singlehandedly winning a Cup for Boston is the defining measurement.

I agree. I don't see any value in taking a goalie's early stats when he was a kid and lumping them into an argument over how good he is today. Especially when comparing him to another goalie who started much later. Bobrovsky's current trajectory will take him past Thomas if he can add another two/three seasons at the same high level.

His kid years aren't really relevant to the stats I used though, because we can match their other seasons. Strictly looking at the seasons Bob played in Columbus and Thomas played in Boston post-lockout (7 for both), the years outside of their Vezina's aren't much different relative to the league. And since Bob won the Vezina in his first year there, it doesn't include years before he peaked. Bob obviously has years left but currently I don't see how he has any real advantage in either peak or length of prime

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
His kid years aren't really relevant to the stats I used though, because we can match their other seasons. Strictly looking at the seasons Bob played in Columbus and Thomas played in Boston post-lockout (7 for both), the years outside of their Vezina's aren't much different relative to the league. And since Bob won the Vezina in his first year there, it doesn't include years before he peaked. Bob obviously has years left but currently I don't see how he has any real advantage in either peak or length of prime
I agree, which is why I said Thomas has the edge for now. It's strange to be comparing such totally different careers, but it's an interesting debate.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
If Bob wins a cup I would assume that means he's had another 2-3 elite seasons which at that point he'd have surpassed Thomas. It's TT for now but I think Bob will go down as better as he's only 30.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Thomas did not lead the Bruins to the cup. That was Claude Julien and Colin Campbell's doing.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Thomas for now because of his peak.

I've never seen a goalie play better than Tim Thomas in 2011.

Giguere in 2003 was better. At points, he didn't seem human. It was seriously insane how good he was in some games that year.

The Ducks weren't even that great of a team and they made it to game 7 of the Finals mostly because of Giguere. Their leading scorer only had 13 points in 21 playoff games that year. He only let in 6 goals on 171 shots (0.966 save%) in the opening round against a dominant Red Wings team. In the conference finals, he only let in one goal in the entire series for a save% of 0.992

That said, Thomas is up there regardless.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
You have to compare goaltending careers on longevity

No you don't, it's all matter of perspective. Ask Boston fans if they'd rather have Bob for 10 years or Thomas for the years he was there.

I certainly value peak higher than longevity with any player really (to a reasonable degree of course, but it's not like Thomas was good just for 1 year). That's why for Bob to be considered better for me he has to also have those highlights in his career where he's dominant when it matters the most. At that point you can look at longevity and make a strong case on why Bob had the better career.

Bob is for sure the better athlete, there's a reason why Thomas didn't make it until it was almost too late. But that just highlights how good Thomas was, to make it at the age he did and then winning almost everything possible before calling it quits is special.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Giguere in 2003 was better. At points, he didn't seem human. It was seriously insane how good he was in some games that year.

Giguere was good but I think Thomas was still better.

Thomas faced better teams too, I'd say. Giguere dominated the Wild but they weren't nearly as good as Montreal, Philadelphia or Tampa Bay in 2011.

Thomas also won.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Giguere was good but I think Thomas was still better.

Thomas faced better teams too, I'd say. Giguere dominated the Wild but they weren't nearly as good as Montreal, Philadelphia or Tampa Bay in 2011.

Thomas also won.

None of those teams that you listed were all that impressive. Giguere faced the 2nd and 3rd overall teams in the league in the first 2 rounds in 2003.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad