• Quinton Byfield

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
How do those players have anything in common, or in common with Byfield? And is this comment supposed to be disparaging?

I wouldn't be sure that Hayton will be better than Patrick. Everyone talks about Patrick as some huge bust, yet I don't understand it. I don't know why his stock would've downgraded this year. He hasn't played hockey. I think downgrading for injuries/illness is dumb, unless its something you are pretty sure will effect their long-term career. Vilardi is the player I'd point to as to why it's dumb. Talent usually doesn't go away because you are on the sidelines. Using his first two post-draft seasons, he was a top 10 re-draft caliber of player from the 2017 draft. Will Hayton be better than that?

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
“Having a coming out party at the world juniors”. It is a very useless tournament in the grand scheme of things tbh. Rarely means much toward the future success or failure of a player.

Let’s forget everything Byfield has done up until now since Tim had a good tournament while Byfield didn’t play. Stutzle wouldn’t make team canada either fwiw and he wouldn’t of played in the tournament either

Reactions: BringTheReign

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
“Having a coming out party at the world juniors”. It is a very useless tournament in the grand scheme of things tbh. Rarely means much toward the future success or failure of a player.

Let’s forget everything Byfield has done up until now since Tim had a good tournament while Byfield didn’t play. Stutzle wouldn’t make team canada either fwiw and he wouldn’t of played in the tournament either

Byfield did make team Canada, and did play...just not very well.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Right now I'm picking Byfield. Prospects playing in Europe against men do tend to get heavily underrated though and Stutzle could end up being the 2nd best player of the draft (not seeing anybody dethrone Lafreniere who's just insane).

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada

The fact that you think Byfield didn’t even make the team is a pretty sad indicator of his performance.

still love the kid but Stutzle definitely made up some ground in that tourney

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
The fact that you think Byfield didn’t even make the team is a pretty sad indicator of his performance.

still love the kid but Stutzle definitely made up some ground in that tourney

Meh. People forget that Byfield is only two months older than Lafreniere was last year when he was positioned the same (4th line) and produced the same.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015

It's definitely an important tournament. It doesn't make or break most players but it's a great chance to gauge how good players from various leagues seem to be compared to others their age. It's difficult to compare players like Stutzle and Holtz when Holtz plays in a league with higher competition for example.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Both are awesome, you cant go wrong with either. Trying to predict who will be better at this point of their development is an impossible task and no one really knows. Gun to my head I take Byfield, if he hits his ceiling he will be the best player in the draft I am just not sure if thats going to happen. As a Sens fan I am praying we end up with one of these two guys, wouldnt be upset with Lafreniere or Raymond either. Just hoping for one of the big 4.

David Lunch

Apr 11, 2018
I’m no prospects expert but not ignorant either, and as a Kings fan, I REALLY hope they take Byfield. This kid being mentored by Kopitar for a few years... wow, the sky is the limit.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I still prefer Stutzle but a lot can change before a fall draft. Byfield not being dynamic enough could lead to him playing in the CHL to his detriment.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Stutzle. I think Byfield has most bust potential.
I don't really see how. I guess his only weakness is not using his size enough, but it doesn't change that he good hands, a top-level iq and an impressive 200 foot game.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I don't really see how. I guess his only weakness is not using his size enough, but it doesn't change that he good hands, a top-level iq and an impressive 200 foot game.

If Stutzle and Lafreniere are a 9/10 in terms of being creative/dynamic offensively, I'd put Byfield at about a 7. I think there are serious questions about whether he can be an elite performer in the NHL when he doesn't have as massive a size difference. One of my criticisms about his skating would also be he's more straight line whereas Stutzle can pivot and maneuver much more freely.

It's why I hope Stutzle drops to #3...I think he's a safer bet to become an elite talent.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
What I've read about Byfield's skill and size combination has me drooling.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I think of the top 3 Stutzle has the highest offensive potential of the 3 but is the most raw and needs the most development. For that reason I'd take Stutzle over Byfield, but Laf is more refined already and is a much safer bet so he goes over Stutzle for me.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
If Stutzle and Lafreniere are a 9/10 in terms of being creative/dynamic offensively, I'd put Byfield at about a 7. I think there are serious questions about whether he can be an elite performer in the NHL when he doesn't have as massive a size difference. One of my criticisms about his skating would also be he's more straight line whereas Stutzle can pivot and maneuver much more freely.

It's why I hope Stutzle drops to #3...I think he's a safer bet to become an elite talent.
Stützle is not Laf tier offense, he's great but that's just hyperbole at that point.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Stützle is not Laf tier offense, he's great but that's just hyperbole at that point.

Different styles. I think Stutzle has a lot of work to do on his shot and Laf has the edge there. Playmaking they're comparable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad