Confirmed with Link: Tim Leiweke will remain as MLSE CEO on an 'interim basis'

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

maple leaf sports and entertainment's hunt for a new chief executive officer appeared to be nearing a conclusion, but it's going to take a little longer.

The company that owns the nhl's toronto maple leafs, the nba's toronto raptors and toronto fc of mls will continue its search, and outgoing ceo tim leiweke has agreed to stay on until its completion, chairman larry tanenbaum announced in a statement friday.

"we've made remarkable progress with tim at the helm, and we are pleased that he has agreed to continue as ceo on an interim basis," tanenbaum said.

Leiweke said he doesn't mind staying until his replacement is identified.

"i'm happy to be here as long as i'm needed while the organization works to find the right leader to carry the momentum forward," he said.

mlse reportedly planned to hold final discussions this week to approve former corus entertainment ceo john cassaday as leiweke's successor.

The sports conglomerate reportedly approached cassaday about the position earlier this month.

The sticking point may have been cassaday's salary. The negotiations were impacted by the maple leafs signing mike babcock to a reported $50 million contract last week, sportsnet's john shannon reported.

an announcement naming cassaday as the new ceo was originally planned for friday, according to the report.

Leiweke announced his intention to part ways with the company last august, pinning june 30 as his final day.

Mlse reportedly pursued nhl chief operating officer john collins, who turned the organization down.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
MLSE: Leiweke staying on longer as CEO

He's had a positive impact on our pro sports teams while he's been here. I don't mind him sticking around a bit longer.
Larry Tanenbaum, Chairman of Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd. (MLSE), announced Friday that Tim Leiweke is staying as CEO 'on an interim basis' as the company continues to search for his replacement. Reports last week had indicated that MLSE was close to hiring former Corus CEO John Cassaday for the position.
http://www.tsn.ca/mlse-leiweke-staying-on-longer-as-ceo-1.294925

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
What a gongshow bell and rogers are. Potential candidates avoiding them like the plague.

it's not necessarily a gong-show. MLSE is v. different than a lot of other people in the same "I own _____" capacity. MLSE already prints money. You don't have to sell the view rights for the team (which gets you more money) because the owners of the teams are television executives. so the other angles could be different avenues that people don't want to take on

Yes, the fact that Rogers/Bell don't like each other is a factor, but I am getting really tired of everyone making it more than it needs to be, i find it very hard to believe that every board room runs on magic fairy dust and everything is co-hesive, and it's JUST MLSE that is broken.

it sounds like with this report, that they know Cassaday is the guy and they have to work out the finances, so they are keeping Tim around, until everything is hammered out. which may not even be needed but it's crossing T's and dotting I's.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Here is the official press release from Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd. (MLSE):

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1546329/maple-leaf-sports-entertainment-update-on-ceo-search

Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment update on CEO search

TORONTO, May 29, 2015 /CNW/ - Larry Tanenbaum, Chairman of Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd. (MLSE), today announced that in light of its expanding breadth of sports leadership talent, MLSE is now focusing its Chief Executive Officer search on appointing a seasoned business executive to lead the organization forward.

"As we've continued to amass an unparalleled array of sports leaders at both the executive and team level, the Board of Directors agreed to focus our CEO search on the appointment of a strategic business leader able to enhance MLSE's unique collection of world-class assets," said Mr. Tanenbaum.

MLSE also announced that President and CEO Tim Leiweke will continue in his role as the organization conducts its search. "We've made remarkable progress with Tim at the helm, and we are pleased that he has agreed to continue as CEO on an interim basis," said Mr. Tanenbaum.

"It's a privilege to work with the incredible MLSE team, and it's a very positive time to be at the company," said Mr. Leiweke. "We've accomplished great things together. I'm happy to be here as long as I'm needed while the organization works to find the right leader to carry the momentum forward."

MLSE announced on August 21, 2014 that Mr. Leiweke had decided to depart the company on or before June 30, 2015 to pursue new opportunities in the sports and entertainment industry.

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
Last edited:

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

in a november interview with the star, mlse board chairman larry tanenbaum said the new ceo would have to combine leiweke’s grand vision and public profile with past president richard peddie’s ability to deal with internal matters.

Running mlse doesn’t just require a high sports iq it also demands a candidate with experience running a corporation. Finding one person equally proficient in both areas is a challenge, though friday’s announcement hinted mlse’s board would seek a leader from the business world.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
it can't be that hard to run a corporation. and I like sports.
I volunteer. I'll sign an early level contract, so no one can feel bad in regards to finances. :)

and for my first order of business, I will let Shanahan do his thing.
and since i really don't pay attention to Basketball or Soccer, they'll be left alone too.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
it can't be that hard to run a corporation. and I like sports.
I volunteer. I'll sign an early level contract, so no one can feel bad in regards to finances. :)

and for my first order of business, I will let Shanahan do his thing.
and since i really don't pay attention to Basketball or Soccer, they'll be left alone too.

what about condos? are you gonna build em?

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
According to Michael Grange of Rogers Sportsnet, MLSE's inability to find a replacement for Tim Leiweke reflects the tension at the top. Board decisions are required to be passed unanimously, which means each of the owners has a veto.

Bell may have blocked Rogers’ preferred candidate, NHL chief executive officer John Collins and Larry Tanenbaum blocked former Madison Square Garden executive Scott O’Neil. It was reported that retired Corus Entertainment executive John Cassaday was poised to be announced for the job last week, but didn’t end up taking it. John Cassaday may have balked at drawing significantly less than the estimated $6 million Leiweke earns and what nearly everyone working for him draws.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/two-years-in-mlses-leiweke-has-proud-legacy/

That he will now be hanging around beyond his forecasted departure date says more about his bosses than him. As Leiweke put it in an unguarded moment while speaking to a Ryerson University class – "I go to work every day for two companies [Bell and Rogers] that hate each other." Factor in that Leiweke and MLSE’s other owner, Larry Tanenbaum, don’t see eye-to-eye and you can imagine how much fun the board meetings are.

The struggle to find a replacement for Leiweke reflects the tension at the top. Board decisions are required to be passed unanimously, which means each of the owners has a veto. According to one source, Bell may have blocked Rogers’ preferred candidate, NHL chief executive officer John Collins and Larry Tanenbaum blocked former Madison Square Garden executive Scott O’Neil. It was reported that retired Corus Entertainment executive John Cassaday was poised to be announced for the job last week, but didn’t end up taking it.

Sportsnet’s John Shannon suggested it could have come down to money: when the Leafs made Babcock the highest-paid coach in the NHL – more than doubling what a coach has ever been paid before and making him the highest paid non-athlete in the organization – it’s thought Cassaday may have balked at drawing significantly less than the estimated $6 million Leiweke earns and what nearly everyone working for him draws.

"If you’re the new guy coming in the question is: What am I going to do? Everything is done," said one source. "None of the new hires are his people, they all make significantly more than him and are going to be incredibly empowered and making more than the new CEO. It’s not healthy."

Whatever the issues in the ownership suite, they haven’t otherwise impacted the organization’s willingness to spill money to try and shed its well-deserved reputation as a company that is a success everywhere except on the field of play.

That should always be the final accounting for the owners and Leiweke has always done a great job of making sure that’s the only scoreboard that matters.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad