Sportsnet: Tim Leiweke’s rookie season as MLSE’s boss begins now

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/grange-leiwekes-rookie-season-as-mlse-boss-begins-now/

leiweke_tim.jpg

“We have to win,” says Leiweke while perched on a bar stool in an upstairs suite at Real Sports Saturday morning, shortly after hosting a meet-and-greet with angry TFC fans. “We can’t separate Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment from the teams. We have to stand up and say: As the teams go, so go the organization.”

“I think there was a theory here where we were a great sports organization but that the GMs haven’t done a good job with the teams. Nope. We are the teams. This community wants to buy Leafs tickets. They want to buy Raptors tickets. They don’t want to buy MLSE tickets. If these teams don’t do well, then we’re not a great organization and we shouldn’t kid ourselves … It’s the Leafs, it’s the Raptors and it’s TFC. How they do is our report card.”

The very public goal setting has a purpose. In Leiweke’s mind, he’s creating breathing room for the men required to make his fever dreams come to life. With Leiweke front and centre, apologizing for past failures—“I’ve had to apologize a lot,” he says—or setting the course with broad proclamations, his general managers can preach process and patience.

“I’m the optimist,” he says. “My job is to create an environment. The GM’s job is to make this thing work.”

After a whirlwind off-season Leiweke is beginning to settle into his new job and his new life. His family has joined him in Toronto, taking up residence in tony Yorkville. He takes the subway to games and walks out his front door to movies or dinner with his wife. After two decades in Los Angeles the freedom of being able to get around without a car is a welcome treat.

How long he’ll call Toronto home, he can’t say. He plans to retire back to Los Angeles and he’s the type that will always have opportunity knocking. Asked about the length of his contract or if he has on out clause he can exercise, Leiweke bobs a little bit.

He doesn’t give a timeline but says it will be long enough to get the job done.

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
Anyone watch his interview on TSN? Seems like a smart guy but gives off a major Saul Goodman vibe. But that's business, can't expect to have Mr.Rogers running the show.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
just put a pillow over TFC and smother it to death. Let it go peacefully.

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
After years of whining that the owners do not want to win and are not passionate.

Please, shut your mouths. Give the guy a chance.

How about that?

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
Not sure this is the place to drop this Dallas Eakins' tweet:

“We’re not looking for son-in-laws here. We’re looking for guys to win hockey games.” -@dallaseakins “

Sounds surprisingly bitter especially considering that
1) his entire coaching career had been in the Toronto Maple Leafs' organization
2) the Leafs gave him his first head coaching gig
3) Troy Bodie played for him with the Marlies
4) Troy Bodie performed well in the preseason and doesn't look undeserving of another shot in the NHL
5) he's given a marginal AHLer an NHL job who just happens to be the son of his assistant coach

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Not sure this is the place to drop this Dallas Eakins' tweet:

“We’re not looking for son-in-laws here. We’re looking for guys to win hockey games.” -@dallaseakins “

Sounds surprisingly bitter especially considering that
1) his entire coaching career had been in the Toronto Maple Leafs' organization
2) the Leafs gave him his first head coaching gig
3) Troy Bodie played for him with the Marlies
4) Troy Bodie performed well in the preseason and doesn't look undeserving of another shot in the NHL
5) he's given a marginal AHLer an NHL job who just happens to be the son of his assistant coach

Not going to even attempt to pick apart Eakins. Loved him in Toronto and now that he's in the West there's no reason to hate him. I'll be supporting his career coaching the Oilers. Hopefully they can be competitive.

As for Leiweke, he is what he is, a businessman. I could really care less what he has to say, as long as the Leafs are winning. Not a big fan of the Raptors, The Failed Club, or the Jays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad