Tim Kerr

VanFlyer

Feb 18, 2007
I don't know what jogged my aging memory, but Tim Kerr jumped into it as perhaps the best wrists of the Flyers ever- and perhaps NHL (I am a huge Joe Sakic fan, so its hard for me to annoint that soley).

My introduction to the NHL was the year the Flyers got robbed by the infamous offsides call against the Islanders.

Over all Tim Kerr was a beast in front of the net and lethal with his wicked quick wrist / snap shots.

(mods: if you want to move this, I can elaborate and try to emulate Scott from THN to do better justice).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS9QcMe54jw

We all though the big e was the complete package, sorry fellas, this guy was!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBbnijC9KlE

Last edited:

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
I didn't get to see much of Tim Kerr, I grew up watching in the 90's and onwards, but I know he was my Dad's favorite player. We have a couple of autographed hockey cards of his.

It's a shame that he dealt with a lot of injuries around the playoffs. He was such a big chunk of the Flyers offense back then and it seems that he was injured during each Finals appearance.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Rick MacLeish had an amazing wrist shot. I used to play pickup hockey at the U of Penn rink and the Flyers practiced right after our games. After one of our games I stood outside the glass and watched MacLeish stand at his own blue line and snap wrist shots over the glass at the other end. It was then I realized that I would never make the NHL :(

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Tim Kerr was a testament to perseverance and dedication and not only on the ice. A healthy player could have made a difference in one of the Cup runs in the 1980s. That is one of the great unknowns. He was a nearly immovable force in front of the net.

Philly.com has an article about him and his family today:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports..._proud_of_sons_at_University_of_Sciences.html

Kerr and Phil Esposito were the best I ever saw at scoring "garbage goals". Both were immovable objects with feat touch around the net. But Espo was a jerk.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Kerr was my favorite player when I first started following the Flyers religiously in the mid 80's. He was a terror on the PP. He was also ambidextrous and it came in handy when defenders were draped all over him and cross checking him in the shoulders and back. He took a lot of abuse in front but it didn't matter..he was relentless. Him and Pelle Eklund were fun to watch on the PP. If the Flyers had him against Edmonton in 87 they would have won the cup IMO. Number 12 was my number all throughout high school playing ice hockey. Awesome thread and tribute to a class A player and human being.

oh and I owe him for teaching me a nasty wrister in Tim Kerr camp at Grundy's in Bristol. Never forget how he first came up to me in camp and asked to see my shot..I was all nervous. The best though was when I tried to get him to sign my gloves. I didn't have a pen but he went out of his way to get one...

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Kerr was my favorite player when I first started following the Flyers religiously in the mid 80's. He was a terror on the PP. He was also ambidextrous and it came in handy when defenders were draped all over him and cross checking him in the shoulders and back. He took a lot of abuse in front but it didn't matter..he was relentless. Him and Pelle Eklund were fun to watch on the PP. If the Flyers had him against Edmonton in 87 they would have won the cup IMO. Number 12 was my number all throughout high school playing ice hockey. Awesome thread and tribute to a class A player and human being.

oh and I owe him for teaching me a nasty wrister in Tim Kerr camp at Grundy's in Bristol. Never forget how he first came up to me in camp and asked to see my shot..I was all nervous. The best though was when I tried to get him to sign my gloves. I didn't have a pen but he went out of his way to get one...

Cool story

Last edited:

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Tim Kerr was a testament to perseverance and dedication and not only on the ice. A healthy player could have made a difference in one of the Cup runs in the 1980s. That is one of the great unknowns. He was a nearly immovable force in front of the net.

Philly.com has an article about him and his family today:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports..._proud_of_sons_at_University_of_Sciences.html

agreed. before there was John Leclair there was Tim Kerr in front of the net. Not many players could handle him in one on one situations around the goal.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Everyone lauds Cam Kneely, but Tim Kerr was 10x the player that cam was. He paid the price (back / knees), but in his prime, unstoppable at anything.

Kerr is one of the most underrated NHL'ers of all time IMO

SgtJoseph*

Tim was a heck of a talent ! He owned our ECHL team and then our SPHL team down here on the panhandle of Florida for quite a few years. ( Pensacola Ice Pilots - and the Pensacola Ice Flyers )He use to fly down for games and i got to talk with him numerous times . Real class act and a terrific player !

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Tim was a heck of a talent ! He owned our ECHL team and then our SPHL team down here on the panhandle of Florida for quite a few years. ( Pensacola Ice Pilots - and the Pensacola Ice Flyers )He use to fly down for games and i got to talk with him numerous times . Real class act and a terrific player !

Yep he was a horse. Sad but injuries cost both him and the team at certain times. The "Boss" had the quickest release as far as I am concerned, but Tim was a close 2nd and brought more to the table.

martz11

Mar 5, 2013
PA
Would have beat the Oilers in the finals in '87 had Kerr been healthy. What a shame.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I'm an Islander fan. But I saw this thread and could not help posting. Tim Kerr was one of my all-time favorite non-Islander and favorite Flyer. To me, Tim Kerr is the "Gold Standard" for "front of the net" presence.

Regarding, Bryan Trottier said something to the effect of... "You have to chain him up to stop him... but that still probably wouldn't work."

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I'm an Islander fan. But I saw this thread and could not help posting. Tim Kerr was one of my all-time favorite non-Islander and favorite Flyer. To me, Tim Kerr is the "Gold Standard" for "front of the net" presence.

Regarding, Bryan Trottier said something to the effect of... "You have to chain him up to stop him... but that still probably wouldn't work."

I've always loved that Trottier quote about Kerr.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad