Tim Erixon

Metalownall

Oct 8, 2008
Quebec city
Once highly touted, he now plays regular minutes with the team ans even sees time on the PP. I don't see him play often so want your opinion if he's doing good? Is he getting better? Think he will become a real top 4 defenseman with PP potential?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Once highly touted, he now plays regular minutes with the team ans even sees time on the PP. I don't see him play often so want your opinion if he's doing good? Is he getting better? Think he will become a real top 4 defenseman with PP potential?

I'm one of his biggest backers here, and i'm hesitant to prognosticate on him. Erixon is such a smart puckmover but he's a lightweight too. For him to cement himself as a top-4 guy the offence will probably have to come at the NHL level, because he's at best average without the puck.

He's kind of like Kris Russell in that regard - though Erixon is lankier and not as good a skater, both lack the strength to dominate in their own end but have the transition skills that are so important. And both failed to bring the points in their early years in the NHL. Russell is now a solid top-4 guy for the Flames, but it took him years to cement himself, and two teams let him go. I hope Erixon doesn't take that long.

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
I thought he looked terrible last night. Of course, nearly everybody looked terrible last game. IMO, he's serviceable, but nothing special at this point. I hope he reaches the potential that's been talked about. He has a lot of supporters on the board who for some reason feel he has been treated unfairly by HCTR, but I'm not one of them. Hasn't wowed me...

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio
I don't really see extremely high potential in him, or see him being able to play a big role, especially when ( if ) the Jackets get healthy, but he can be fairly effective and do pretty well playing on the 3rd D pairing, and 2nd PP unit.

So far he hasn't really been impressive, but hasn't been exactly bad either. A few ups and downs to this point.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Doesn't have the size to be a bottom pairing D who doesn't contribute big points. If he wants to be an impact player at this level he's either gotta add more weight and change his playing style to a more physical one (which is very unlikely), or he's gotta start scoring at the NHL level.

He isn't bad. He's just not an impact player (yet).

Daytonian

Nov 6, 2014
Dayton OH
I was at the Maple Leafs game. Erixon looked lost, very tentative and not at all aggressive. Has he been promoted to a regular slot too early, based on his potential?

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Has he been promoted to a regular slot too early, based on his potential?
No, but he and the other young guys are being relied upon to carry too much of the defensive load. Guys like Erixon, Savard, Prout, and Goloubef need to have their loads reduced and their minutes become easier.

We need the veterans to step up and be a lot more steady.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
No, but he and the other young guys are being relied upon to carry too much of the defensive load. Guys like Erixon, Savard, Prout, and Goloubef need to have their loads reduced and their minutes become easier.

We need the veterans to step up and be a lot more steady.
Savard has more career NHL games (and professional games in general) than Murray does, so by this logic shouldn't Savard be the one who steps up while Murray, in addition to Erixon/Prout/Golo, has his load reduced?

(I realize this is an Erixon thread but Murray is one of the young guys, too)

Last edited:

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Savard has more career NHL games (and professional games in general) than Murray does, so by this logic shouldn't Savard be the one who steps up while Murray, in addition to Erixon/Prout/Golo, has his load reduced?

(I realize this is an Erixon thread but Murray is one of the young guys, too)

Murray is very much the exception to the rule. He doesn't play or act like a young player most nights. But you can add him too if it makes you feel better.

We are relying too much on young defensemen. Need more established veterans who play like established veterans. It's messed up that the young guys have to babysit the older guys.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Erixon and Prout pairing played for **** Tuesday night. They both need to step up big time tonight and tomorrow. These are good players, I've seen it from both of them, they need to execute.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
I'll put it this way, if the CBJ trade Erixon you will see him playing a third line paring on that team.... The dude didn't even play at the NHL level last year (to any significant extent)...

He's far from fully experienced but knows how to move the puck, he'll never be a bruising defenseman.... pick your poison.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Our whole defense is garbage, save Murray who can't stay healthy. Prout has dropped off the cliff, he's terrible now. Savard has a little offensive skill but he's out of position all the time and is slow. Wiz has lost his offensive touch this season and can't get shots through and is maybe the slowest player on the team, constantly giving up 2 on 1's. Erixon should be in the minors. Jack and Tyutin are mediocre at best on a good team, 3-5's tops. The whole defense needs an overhaul, Bob makes our defense look better than they are, they are exposed when anyone but him plays.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Erixon is a smart player, however no one is playing all that well on defense right now. I've seen him make some very good plays and make a few bone-headed ones. He's certainly a good skater.

He should get better and better as the season goes on.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Our whole defense is garbage, save Murray who can't stay healthy. Prout has dropped off the cliff, he's terrible now. Savard has a little offensive skill but he's out of position all the time and is slow. Wiz has lost his offensive touch this season and can't get shots through and is maybe the slowest player on the team, constantly giving up 2 on 1's. Erixon should be in the minors. Jack and Tyutin are mediocre at best on a good team, 3-5's tops. The whole defense needs an overhaul, Bob makes our defense look better than they are, they are exposed when anyone but him plays.

We need an improved D, preferably a top pair guy to slide everyone down. But this is pure overstatement. D look worse than they are right now because the forwards are missing assignments and getting us stuck in our zone. And did you not see the first two weeks when Tyutin was in beastmode? And last game when Wisniewski had 3 assists? I also don't believe that Savard is bad positionally.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Getting back to Erixon I agree with blah. He has been up and down this year and I expect him to get better. Not to say he is going to be a great one but he could be a serviceable 4-6.

Also agree that all of our D look worse because of the missing F's and the fact the whole system is in the crapper.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
We need an improved D, preferably a top pair guy to slide everyone down. But this is pure overstatement. D look worse than they are right now because the forwards are missing assignments and getting us stuck in our zone. And did you not see the first two weeks when Tyutin was in beastmode? And last game when Wisniewski had 3 assists? I also don't believe that Savard is bad positionally.

Tyutin had one good game that he was +5, other than that he's been just there, nothing special, nothing horrible. Wiz is such a liability in our end and he has no goals, he isn't getting his shots through the wingers on the PP. And Savard was horribly out of position just the other night that lead to a goal when he stepped up with only one man back that led to a 2 on 1. The forwards, save for Hartnell and Foligno have been terrible too the last 8 games, but the D is our weakness and healthy or not, they are going to cost us in the long run. You're right, everyone needs to move down a line, I would go a step further and say we need 2 top pair guys.

1st pair
Murray-Wiz
Johnson-Savard
Tyutin- I know you will argue, but he brings zero offense and zero physical play. If you take out his +5 game, he's -7 with 1 assist on the season

Erixon, Prout in the ECHL

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Tyutin had one good game that he was +5, other than that he's been just there, nothing special, nothing horrible. Wiz is such a liability in our end and he has no goals, he isn't getting his shots through the wingers on the PP. And Savard was horribly out of position just the other night that lead to a goal when he stepped up with only one man back that led to a 2 on 1. The forwards, save for Hartnell and Foligno have been terrible too the last 8 games, but the D is our weakness and healthy or not, they are going to cost us in the long run. You're right, everyone needs to move down a line, I would go a step further and say we need 2 top pair guys.

1st pair
Murray-Wiz
Johnson-Savard
Tyutin- I know you will argue, but he brings zero offense and zero physical play. If you take out his +5 game, he's -7 with 1 assist on the season

Erixon, Prout in the ECHL
Really?

thebus2288*

The whole defense needs an overhaul

I can only really agree with this part. What you say about the guys individually isn't really true, but as a defensive whole they don't fit well at all. I've thought something needed to be done even at the start of last year. The thing I've continued to harp on is that we simply have a defense FULL of offensive defensemen. I believe the reason for this is the "myth" that started (that's now been practically proven wrong) from a couple/few years ago that our forward core was so "weak". The plan I'm assuming was to attempt to get a lot of offensive help from the backend while getting strong defensive play from the forwards and the overall defensive system the team would use. The injuries have just highlighted the problems this team has. Dubi's TRUE worth is beginning to show. Leaving his recent ineffectiveness on offense out, I think the truth about Johansen's defensive game is really starting to show. Dubi IS on a completely different level when it comes down to shutting other teams down defensively. The AA and Letestu injuries are also big factors in this as well. Our "other" centers just aren't able to come close to the impact these 3 guys make in our defensive zone. Mackenzie would help that, but NOT if he had to play "2nd line" minutes.

Not sold on Erixon. Never been. Again, its not that he's a bad player. I just don't see him as a good fit with the group of defensemen we have. Our best defensive defensemen are Tyutin and Savard. Both guys are 2 way defensively solid 2nd pairing guys that can fill up on a top pairing very easily. Also BOTH guys IMO are 2 of our 4 best PP options. While both have been "forced" to change their games a bit they are still offensive defensemen. They would excel if they each had a more defensively responsible partner. Unfortunately their partners can only be Erixon, Wiz and Johnson whose defensive games are average at best. Or Murray, who like Tyutin and Savard CAN play the game both ways. But he also is an offensive defensemen that would excel with a defensive partner. That leaves us with another guy I've been recently disappointed with in Prout. He's our only true defensive guy back there. And unfortunately for us, he(not Savard at all) is probably the worst(vets Wiz n JJ close behind) when it comes to terrible missed assignments and just overall "what the ****" moments in our own zone.

So a trade I believe is needed. When looking at who should be here in the future(Savard, Murray). Who would be counterproductive in trading. (Tyutin) Whose value is probably too low to bring worthwhile help.(Prout) That leaves us with Erixon, Wiz and Johnson. Erixon alone isn't gonna bring much help, unless maybe a swap for a lower pairing defensive guy.

So now we're left with out 2 highest paid d men with clauses as our 2 defensemen that should be looked to move. Or should I just say Johnson? Don't think that 50 point season is gonna happen from the back end this year boys. Unless we get somebody good paired up with Savard.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00