Online Series: Tim Burton's 'Wednesday'

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014

Not sure what to think of this. I don't understand the casting of Luis Guzman as Gomez. He seems a bit old to be playing the character, doesn't particularly have the suave sophistication of Gomez or the smooth good looks.

Tim Burton is an absolutely legendary director, so who am I to say he won't prove me wrong. Not so sure I'm going to be crazy about this one though. I may be a bit biased because of how big of a celebrity crush that I used to have on Christina Ricci, lol.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Not sure what to think of this. I don't understand the casting of Luis Guzman as Gomez. He seems a bit old to be playing the character, doesn't particularly have the suave sophistication of Gomez or the smooth good looks.

Tim Burton is an absolutely legendary director, so who am I to say he won't prove me wrong. Not so sure I'm going to be crazy about this one though. I may be a bit biased because of how big of a celebrity crush that I used to have on Christina Ricci, lol.
Ya Guzman as Gomez is what first got my attention. Will be interesting to see how it works out. Don't mind seeing CZJ in those dresses either though lol

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia

Attachments

• 390D8B8E-5FF9-4760-A110-2F9CFC094DDF.jpeg
    390D8B8E-5FF9-4760-A110-2F9CFC094DDF.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 32
  • E3C1FBB3-D30D-4FB6-AAEC-14790A54E7D0.jpeg
    E3C1FBB3-D30D-4FB6-AAEC-14790A54E7D0.jpeg
    65.8 KB · Views: 34

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
@Blais For Smythe that is a cartoon though and he wasn't even technically "Gomez" back then, he was never given a name until the first show in the 60s. Every live-action depiction of him is suave, smooth, and generally good looking.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Looks like she will be going to school with similar type people? Not sure how I feel about that.
Seems to be quite similar.

"I like stabbing" That is definitely Wednesday's MO. I had no interest in the show before but seeing the trailer I now have. I read Burton has directed 4 episodes and that was apparent in the trailer.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I assumed that this was coming out this month, so I was surprised to discover just now that it it's set for Nov 23rd. I looked up the 1991 and 1993 movies, though, and they were both released at the end of November, as well, so it seems like Netflix decided to go with franchise tradition. Maybe they also figure that releasing it over a "family holiday" like Thanksgiving, instead of during "spooky season," will convince more families to watch.

Last edited:

Deleted member 28548

Huge fan of Jenna Ortega. She's without question the biggest up and coming breakout actress in horror right now. Wasn't a big fan of the recent Scream reboot, but she was hands down the best thing in that entire movie and was fantastic in Ti West's X. She's also the single shining moment in the awful Foo Fighters horror movie Studio 666 with just a tiny role in the beginning. Her facial expressions in X capturing sheer terror - wow. As convincing as anything I've seen before on screen in depicting this with conviction and poise. Google her movie stills from that film to see what I'm talking about if you haven't seen it yet. Will check out anything she's a part of at this point with how talented of an actress she is. The very definition of a young actress embracing her fondness for horror and making her mark in the industry in a huge way. Terrific performance in The Fallout from her as well. Make a note to check out her other works to date. Much like Rebecca Hall in The Night House, Jenna seems to often make nearly everything she stars in way better with her performances.

Last edited by a moderator:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I watched the first two episodes. So far, it isn't as stylish or charming as I expected from Burton and the franchise. It seems strongly influenced by Harry Potter and is practically Wednesday at Hogwarts, but without the wonder or a lead that's charismatic, sympathetic and likable. It also feels aimed more at younger audiences who enjoy supernatural teen dramas and mysteries than at older fans of the franchise. I'll keep watching, but it hasn't grabbed me so far.

Last edited:

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Ortega was fantastic.I absolutely enjoyed it very much and do hope it is picked up for another season

I loved the tons of Easter eggs too

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
The writing and story weren’t great but Ortega’s acting and Burton’s directing are enough to carry it.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
through 4 episodes..its solid but too ...CW so far

also CZJ is miscast as Morticia

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad