Ties vs shootouts

Would you rather games end in a tie or go to a shootout if the game is still even after overtime?

• Total voters

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012
I'm all for 5v5 until someone wins. That however is not an option so I went with the tie. Or do like soccer, extra 20 minutes and then shootout, I can live with that. This 3v3 for 5 minutes is a gimmick.

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
I say skip OT too.
Just keep it 60 minutes.

2 points win and one point tie.
It would be nice to see a team try to win it in the last few minutes of a game.
A tie game in the last minute to spoil a win. Classic hockey.
No more trying to keep it tied to go into OT

I understand that people don’t like tie games. That’s because you’re not satisfied and you want that win. Well that builds great rivalries in divisions and great anticipation for the next game.

It’s a win win.

no more stupid gimmicks for the extra point.

no more 3-3 and no more shoot outs.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
3 vs 3 overtime until you have a winner doesn't work in practice with a 82 game schedule with back to back games in some instances. The format in place now isn't ideal but its better than the alternatives including ties who would make the games less attractive.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Anyone who’s been a season ticket holder for years , would not vote for ties, very large majority hated them.

pabst blue ribbon

🇺🇦🤝🇵🇱
Oct 26, 2015
PG
The idea that every regular season game needs to produce a "winner" and "loser" by any means possible is asinine. In addition, the idea that viewing a hockey/game is more worthwhile/entertaining because it produced a winner via shootout as opposed to the game ending as a tie is ludicrous

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I’d have the shootout as a last resort. My biggest problem with it isn’t the shootout itself but the way points are awarded.

Ideally they’d just play regular OT like the playoffs but I understand TV related reasons to avoid that.

A compromise I’d like to see is 10 min 3 on 3. There would be almost no shootouts.

Then 3 points for a regulation win, 2 points for an OT win, 1 point for a shootout win, 0 points for losers. (Gary won’t do that because of parity). Have teams play hard for the win, none of this defensive, let’s bank the loser point bullshit.

Would also make for great viewing with teams trying to catch up in a playoff race going balls to the wall in the 60 minutes.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I think shootouts are entertaining and at the end of the day, the NHL is an entertainment product

And it's not really unprecedented as soccer and international hockey have been deciding games in a similar way for years.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Shootout. You play to win. I never understood the concept of a tie in a competitive sport. Seems silly to me
I never understood drawing a random winner in a competitive sport. A tie is just as much a fair result as win or loss.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad