Tier III Junior Nationals 2014

Dec 13, 2010
Schedule:

4/3
North Iowa Bulls (NA3HL) vs Florida Junior Blades (USPHL-Em)
Junior Bruins (USPHL-P) vs New Hampshire Junior Monarchs (EHL)
Boston Bandits (MJHL) vs WI Dells Ducks (MnJHL)
Marquette Royals (MnJHL) vs Helena Bighorns (AWHL)
Northern Cyclones (EHL) vs Springfield Pics (USPHL-Elite)
Bellingham Blazers (NPHL) vs Flint Junior Generals (NA3HL)

4/4
Junior Bruins (USPHL-P) vs Helena Bighorns (AWHL)
Northern Cyclones (EHL) vs Bellingham Blazers (NPHL)
New Hampshire Junior Monarchs (EHL) vs Marquette Royals (MnJHL)
Flint Junior Generals (NA3HL) vs Springfield Pics (USPHL-Elite)
North Iowa Bulls (NA3HL) vs WI Dells Ducks (MnJHL)
Florida Junior Blades (USPHL-Em) vs Boston Bandits (MJHL)

4/5
Flint Junior Generals (NA3HL) vs Northern Cyclones (EHL)
Boston Bandits (MJHL) vs North Iowa Bulls (NA3HL)
Springfield Pics (USPHL-Elite) vs Bellingham Blazers (NPHL)
WI Dells Ducks (MnJHL) vs Florida Junior Blades (USPHL-Em)
Marquette Royals (MnJHL) vs Junior Bruins (USPHL-P)
Helena Bighorns (AWHL) vs New Hampshire Junior Monarchs (EHL)

Interested to see what the takes on these games from around the country is. I think the top teams this year are the Junior Bruins, Junior Monarchs, and Marquette Royals. I think it's sort of a shame that the Jersey Hitmen don't get an invite, though I understand why with the seeding how it is.
Also, will anyone else be there? I'll have to miss Thursday but am driving up Friday morning to catch the rest of the weekend.

Edit: Wrote Marquette Royals as a favorite, meant to say North Iowa Bulls, whoops

Last edited:

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
The first pool is really good! There isn't a week team. But yeah, Hitmen are definitely a top 3 team, sucks they couldn't go but I understand. I might be heading up Sunday if it's a USPHL team in the final.

Dec 13, 2010
This is a much, MUCH better pool than they've had the last few years overall. I like a lot of these teams, there's only a few who I think really don't seem like they have much of a shot.

I think they should try to revise things with Nationals though. The Hitmen and Kings from the USPHL Premier would dominate some of the teams in this tournament and it would be great to see them included in the Nationals discussion

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
This is a much, MUCH better pool than they've had the last few years overall. I like a lot of these teams, there's only a few who I think really don't seem like they have much of a shot.

I think they should try to revise things with Nationals though. The Hitmen and Kings from the USPHL Premier would dominate some of the teams in this tournament and it would be great to see them included in the Nationals discussion

CT Yankees (well I guess the Jr. Rangers) would dominate a good chunk of these teams. I guess you have to be fair and have every league represented even if it means the majority of the teams aren't really in the top 12 of the country.

If I may propose a new format... You basically have a power ranking similar if not using the KRACH system.

Top 2 teams from Premier, top 2 teams from EHL and Elite champion. Top 2 teams from the MnJHL, top 2 teams from NA3HL and NPHL champion. Then just work out some kind of pool play. Every legitimate league represented but a little unfair. (Sorry MET and Empire) Realistically, Nationals should be South Shore, Hitmen, Bruins, North Iowa, IHC, Monarchs, Cyclones and Helena but that would never happen.

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
Can someone explain to me why there are multiple teams from the EHL, NA3, and MnJ but not the USPHL-P? I understand there are 3 USPHL leagues, but aren't they all considered separate leagues? If they needed an even number I'm sure they could have figured something out by either dropping the Empire or adding and extra team from Elite, MET, etc etc.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
Can someone explain to me why there are multiple teams from the EHL, NA3, and MnJ but not the USPHL-P? I understand there are 3 USPHL leagues, but aren't they all considered separate leagues? If they needed an even number I'm sure they could have figured something out by either dropping the Empire or adding and extra team from Elite, MET, etc etc.

Monarchs won a play-in game against the MET Jr. Rangers 6-0 on Sunday. I guess they thought that was a fair game as the two runner-ups from each league. I guess because all the leagues are under the USPHL banner, they consider it to be the same league. I know, dumb.

Dec 13, 2010
The Monarchs and Cyclones both deserve to be there from the EHL. Bellingham and Helena are good teams but played in leagues that don't really have much competition...Though I like the Junior Blades team that made it out of the Empire, there's really not much of a discussion on whether or not they could compete in the Premier Division. They would finish 8-10th if they played in the Premier this year but get to compete instead of the Hitmen, Kings, or Islanders (Middlesex). Doesn't make much sense to me...hopefully that's something that gets figured out soon.

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
The Monarchs and Cyclones both deserve to be there from the EHL. Bellingham and Helena are good teams but played in leagues that don't really have much competition...Though I like the Junior Blades team that made it out of the Empire, there's really not much of a discussion on whether or not they could compete in the Premier Division. They would finish 8-10th if they played in the Premier this year but get to compete instead of the Hitmen, Kings, or Islanders (Middlesex). Doesn't make much sense to me...hopefully that's something that gets figured out soon.

Any team that played in the Empire would NOT be able to compete in the Premier league. They would get smacked even by the Yankees and Pirates every game, and would win maybe 1 game. Elite is another story.

Wasn't really saying the Monarchs and/or Cyclones don't deserve to be there, just that it's weird that there are two teams from that league yet only one from USPHL-P. A Hitmen/Monarchs play-in game would have been much more fair and probably an entertaining game to watch at the least. As for the AWHL, don't really know much about that league so can't comment. As far as the NA3, people argue whether the NA or USP is better, so I really don't see how the NA3 should be sending 2 teams.

Last edited:

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
Though I like the Junior Blades team that made it out of the Empire, there's really not much of a discussion on whether or not they could compete in the Premier Division. They would finish 8-10th if they played in the Premier this year but get to compete instead of the Hitmen, Kings, or Islanders (Middlesex).

I get what you're saying. Blades are good, Empire good. Maybe even Elite decent. But nowhere even close to the bad Premier teams.

Dec 13, 2010
I think the Blades are even Elite good. Not Pics or Americans good, but good enough that they'd be towards the top of the Elite if they got to compete there. Worst team in the Premier? For sure. Totally out of place against Connecticut? Eh wouldn't go that far.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Schedule:

4/3
North Iowa Bulls (NA3HL) vs Florida Junior Blades (USPHL-Em)
Junior Bruins (USPHL-P) vs New Hampshire Junior Monarchs (EHL)
Boston Bandits (MJHL) vs WI Dells Ducks (MnJHL)
Marquette Royals (MnJHL) vs Helena Bighorns (AWHL)
Northern Cyclones (EHL) vs Springfield Pics (USPHL-Elite)
Bellingham Blazers (NPHL) vs Flint Junior Generals (NA3HL)

4/4
Junior Bruins (USPHL-P) vs Helena Bighorns (AWHL)
Northern Cyclones (EHL) vs Bellingham Blazers (NPHL)
New Hampshire Junior Monarchs (EHL) vs Marquette Royals (MnJHL)
Flint Junior Generals (NA3HL) vs Springfield Pics (USPHL-Elite)
North Iowa Bulls (NA3HL) vs WI Dells Ducks (MnJHL)
Florida Junior Blades (USPHL-Em) vs Boston Bandits (MJHL)

4/5
Flint Junior Generals (NA3HL) vs Northern Cyclones (EHL)
Boston Bandits (MJHL) vs North Iowa Bulls (NA3HL)
Springfield Pics (USPHL-Elite) vs Bellingham Blazers (NPHL)
WI Dells Ducks (MnJHL) vs Florida Junior Blades (USPHL-Em)
Marquette Royals (MnJHL) vs Junior Bruins (USPHL-P)
Helena Bighorns (AWHL) vs New Hampshire Junior Monarchs (EHL)

Interested to see what the takes on these games from around the country is. I think the top teams this year are the Junior Bruins, Junior Monarchs, and Marquette Royals. I think it's sort of a shame that the Jersey Hitmen don't get an invite, though I understand why with the seeding how it is.
Also, will anyone else be there? I'll have to miss Thursday but am driving up Friday morning to catch the rest of the weekend.

Edit: Wrote Marquette Royals as a favorite, meant to say North Iowa Bulls, whoops

Top 3 teams hands down are Bruins, Monarchs, Cyclones. Best game to watch of the weekend will be Bruins vs Monarchs. It should have been Bruins vs Cyclones, but in the best of 5 championship series the Cyclones came from behind 2 games to 0 and won the series 3-2, including a 3OT game. Would love to see those two teams compete in the USPHL, they seemed to be the hands down 2 best teams in EHL. I think they'd compete well in the USPHL.

Dec 13, 2010
I wouldn't go totally East Coast Bias here..I think North Iowa and Flint are definitely going to be tough outs in this tournament. Marquette is pretty damn good too. I think Boston SHOULD win this whole thing, but North Iowa, Flint, Northern, and New Hampshire all wouldn't surprise me.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
What's the tournament format? Will going 2-1 be enough to advance?

I assume it's the winners of each pool plus the next best team. 2-1 should be enough to advance, but you'll probably be forced to go to the head-to-head tie breaker. Really just guessing. Can't find anything on a format.

MiracleOnSkates

Jan 12, 2014
Northern Cyclones with a stomp against Blazers, 12-0
Junior Bruins stomped Helena, 6-0
NH Jr Monarchs with a win against Marquette 7-2
Springfield stomps Generals, 6-0
North Iowa Bulls beats Ducks, 5-1
Bandits barely edge out the Blades, 2-1

I can see a Junior Bruins v Northern Cyclones final, Bruins win it all.
I also think it's okay that there aren't many USPHL-P teams in this, only due to the fact that they would simply destroy all the other teams, except the other USPHL-P teams.

Last edited:

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I think the Cyclones and Monarchs are representing the EHL very well. Those 2 and the Jr Bruins are far and away the best teams at this tounament from a spectators standpoint. Time to redo the USA Hockey classifications here. USPHL-P should add a handful of EHL teams and classify themselves tier 2 and it would be just as good as the NAHL if not better

Dec 13, 2010
I think the Cyclones and Monarchs are representing the EHL very well. Those 2 and the Jr Bruins are far and away the best teams at this tounament from a spectators standpoint. Time to redo the USA Hockey classifications here. USPHL-P should add a handful of EHL teams and classify themselves tier 2 and it would be just as good as the NAHL if not better

I'm 100% in favor of this but money talks, and most of these teams don't have any. It's a shame that some good hockey markets can't get fans to really high-level junior hockey games...Even today there wasn't much of a crowd right outside of Hartford! I've been to USPHL Premier games with ~5 people in the stands. I think probably the most I've ever seen was closer to 60-70.

Some quick notes on today:
-Bruins defenseman Zachary Todd has been the best player of the tournament so far. Electrifying today.
-Eric Hewitt's 5 minute kneeing major was a 100% clean hip check. I thought so at the time and USA Hockey reviewed it and everybody in the room agreed it shouldn't have been a penalty at all. Bad job with the refereeing there.
-Monarchs Jordan Mathieu will be suspended for the rest of the tournament + games next season for that "incident" which was disgusting.
-Bellingham looks really overmatched out there. It's actually almost disheartening to watch. I was in and out of that rink during the game because I wanted to catch mostly the Junior Bruins and man every time I went back over Northern scored another goal
-The refs really need to get these games under control. Florida and Boston was bad, Flint and Springfield was worse, and I heard that USAH officials were actually discussing just ending New Hampshire/Marquette after the 2nd.
-North Iowa's schedule was so easy it was insane. Really not a single game they were at risk of losing, and against the Bandits tomorrow should be another cakewalk.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
Looks like Pics, Bruins, Cyclones and North Iowa will advance. Barring Pics allow less than two goals against Bellingham today, which they should.

Dec 13, 2010
Two teams putting up 10 spots today should be a clear sign something about this format needs to change next year..

Tomorrow 2pm
2) Boston Junior Bruins vs 3) Springfield Pics
5pm
1) North Iowa Bulls vs 4) Northern Cyclones

Every game for the rest of the tournament is on the Olympic rink, which is cool.

Dec 13, 2010
Bruins win National Championship 4-1. Really wasn't even as close as that score would indicate..Chris Amsden played out of his mind to keep them Bruins at 4, and you could also tell in the third period the Bruins knew there was no shot of a comeback.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad