OT: Tie Domi...NYR/ Winnipeg Deal ?

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
Was just curious as to why the Rangers traded Tie back in the early 90's ? Was it for a need[Olczyk] or was he just deemed expendable along with Kris King . We gave up a lot of toughness in that deal .

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Was just curious as to why the Rangers traded Tie back in the early 90's ? Was it for a need[Olczyk] or was he just deemed expendable along with Kris King . We gave up a lot of toughness in that deal .

Domi became expendable after the Rangers traded for Joey Kocur the year before. Domi was super tough, and had a cult following but at the time Kocur was arguably the most feared enforcer in the game. He Had the role as the clubs number 1 enforcer and was capable of a regular shift.

In addition to that Jeff Beukeboom, Jay Wells, and Adam Graves also provided additional help in that area. King and Domi became irrelevant.

Cyclones21

Easily Triggered
Excellent nostalgic post. The 92/93 season was an odd one. They came off the President's trophy. There was the failed Eric Lindros trade. The expectations were about as high as can be. The team almost had too much depth. I was looking for archived articles but I think I remember Roger Nielson commenting that he would be using playing line ups as starting pitchers.

Players that contributed in 1991-92 were being scratched regularly. (Randy Gihlen, Paul Broten, Phil Bourque was signed for "Stanley Cup Experience", and of course the Kocur, Kris King, Tie Domi trifecta).

Domi started chirping alot to the media and lacked a bit of maturity. The most anticipated rematch in NHL Hockey Fight history against Bob Probert. I tried googling some stories from that season, here is one about the trade.

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/12/29/sports/hockey-the-pugnacious-domi-is-sent-to-the-ice-box-winnipeg.html

"Colin Campbell is negative toward the players here," said Domi. "He turned on me, and suddenly I didn't play for 10 games. The same thing happened to Mike Richter and Phil Bourque. I didn't get the opportunity to show I could play, and it came to the point where I had to be asked to be moved."

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Excellent nostalgic post. The 92/93 season was an odd one. They came off the President's trophy. There was the failed Eric Lindros trade. The expectations were about as high as can be. The team almost had too much depth. I was looking for archived articles but I think I remember Roger Nielson commenting that he would be using playing line ups as starting pitchers.

Players that contributed in 1991-92 were being scratched regularly. (Randy Gihlen, Paul Broten, Phil Bourque was signed for "Stanley Cup Experience", and of course the Kocur, Kris King, Tie Domi trifecta).

Domi started chirping alot to the media and lacked a bit of maturity. The most anticipated rematch in NHL Hockey Fight history against Bob Probert. I tried googling some stories from that season, here is one about the trade.

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/12/29/sports/hockey-the-pugnacious-domi-is-sent-to-the-ice-box-winnipeg.html

Wow, great find, drewcon.

I always liked Domi as a kid and thought it was stupid to move him. The energy that guys like him and Kris King brought on a nightly basis was sorely missed in that 92-93 season. Leetch's drunken stupor (supposed) ankle injury didn't help either, but getting Zubov a nice cup of coffee helped.

The end to that season absolutely stunk though and Mario scoring those 5 goals on them at home blew big time.

So much expectation for that team and so little that was actually achieved.

Dagoon44

Sep 15, 2003
NJ
dagoon44.blogspot.com
Ok guys Kocur had nothing to do with the trade.. Domi was seen as a guy who was top 5 fighter but was a decent hockey player and was expected to score 15-20 goals.. He was a messier favorite for a bit then his own mouth and inability to grow up cost him his spot .. There was a Innocent in the locker room with him refusing to stop blasting music with Messier giving a speech.. Messier told Tie a number of times to grow into a hockey player and Tie was young and very immature. Tie and Messier have spoken about this many times.. Eddie O should thank his stars cause the trade sucked.. Tie goes on to say how it woke him up and his was a Better person for it

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Eddie O was also a borderline star at that point. Not in the same category as Gretzky, Messier, Lemieux, etc. but he was a solid 30-goal 60-70 point player. So the Rangers had all that depth (Messier, Graves, Gartner, Amonte, Tikkanen, Turcotte, Nemchinov, Erixon) and then the bottom line guys like King,Kocur, Brotten, Bourque not to mention Kovalev soon joining the team. Guess they wanted more offense for the top-9 for a potential long playoff run. Problem was that Eddie O's skill were starting to go, and the team tuned out Roger Neilson.

That season was a disaster. I always remember Richter struggling, of course the Leech "injury," and lots of Mike Hurlbut.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I actually never viewed them as irrelevant. Hated that trade.

Completely agree, the trade was horrible. Those two guys were such fan favorites. The team chemistry was never the same the rest of that season. Roger Neilson was fired a week later & the team was basically in disarray.

It was also the beginning of Neil Smith's brutal trade streak. The next one was Weight for Tikannen.

Eddie O was also a borderline star at that point. Not in the same category as Gretzky, Messier, Lemieux, etc. but he was a solid 30-goal 60-70 point player. So the Rangers had all that depth (Messier, Graves, Gartner, Amonte, Tikkanen, Turcotte, Nemchinov, Erixon) and then the bottom line guys like King,Kocur, Brotten, Bourque not to mention Kovalev soon joining the team. Guess they wanted more offense for the top-9 for a potential long playoff run. Problem was that Eddie O's skill were starting to go, and the team tuned out Roger Neilson.

That season was a disaster. I always remember Richter struggling, of course the Leech "injury," and lots of Mike Hurlbut.

You're absolutely right; Eddie O's star was almost burned out by that point. Mike Keenan basically extinguished it the following season. Plus he was such a Western Conference player. Those teams in the in late 80s - mid 90s played no D at all.

Leetch actually had two major injuries that year. Right around Thanksgiving, he went into the boards with his shoulder & had some nerve damage which kept him out for 2 1/2 months. He had just come back a few weeks before breaking his ankle. They still had a chance for the playoffs at that point, but his ankle was the official end of the season.

Last edited:

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Take a little deeper dive into that time.

89/90 Season for the Rangers. They were a good team. Rangers were also labeled too soft. Chris Nilan was the enforcer at the time, and he was a warrior however guys like Mallete and King were doing most of the dirty work. They didn't do the best job at that, and considering other teams in the division all employed tougher rosters the Rangers needed to beef Playoffs come.

Straw that broke the Camels back

Rangers meet the Isles in the first round. James Patrick lays a devastating hit on Patty Lafontaine. He goes out cold with a bad concussion. Later in the game, the Isles send out the goon squad. Fights erupt. The Isles led by Baumgartner, Vukota and Nylund really lay down a beating on Kris King, Jeff Bloomberg and Chris Nilan. It was big news at the time. Fans were screaming for the club to toughen up. Team was completely deflated and lost to the Caps in the Patrick Div finals.

1990 The club went into a different direction. The traded for Domi in June. In March of 91 they added Kocur. Rangers weren't labeled soft anymore.

I don't remember the lockerrom issues with Messier. That was a good find whoever posted that. I do remember Domi being a loose cannon though. I do remember Domi having a hard time when fighting bigger heavyweights of the time. Dave Brown, Craig Berube, Baumgartner etc. They all beat him numerous times. I was at the Garden for the 2nd Probert fight. Place literally went ballistic! After that Domi reached legendary status with Rangers fans. How can you not root for a guy that was 5'10 and taking on the toughest guys in the league? Literally the next day the NY Post I believe it was they had a huge piece on the fight and even had punch totals...Such a diferent era back then. That was Domi's last fight in a Rangers sweater though. He was traded shortly after.

I always though the trade happened when the Rangers added Kocur as designated number 1. Guys didn't want to fight Kocur. Listen to the interviews of fighters of that era. Theywould specifically tie up and hang on so they wouldn't get hit. Kocur literally didn't lose a scrap in a Rangers sweater until 93 when Bob McGill caught him in a preseason tilt.

Its also tough to question the Results. Lets face it...the toughest Rangers teams were during those years. They also had incredible success. 1991-92 Winning the presidents trophy. of Course 94 the CUP!

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Maybe it is senility setting in, but I seem to have a different recollection of Eddie O at that point. Certainly not a borderline star.

He was definitely borderline. Had 75 points followed by 90, 88, 71, 65....then he became a role player. He was also a "featured guy" back in those days in the television promos like "Ed Olczyk and the Winnipeg Jets..."

Basically now he'd be putting up like James Neal numbers if he was in his prime.

80s were a very different time of course at least from my memory. There were the mega stars like Gretzky, Messier, Lemieux, Patrick Roy, Doug Gilmour, etc. but then you had guys like Stephan Richer, Ron Francis, Mike Gartner, Adam Oates, Cicarelli, etc. who were tier 2 but still put up what would be considered amazing numbers today (70-90 point range) because the top 3-5 guys were generational.

Eddie O played on some teams in Toronto and Winnipeg that weren't very good. But him and Damphouse, and then later him and Housley (and an older Thomas Steen) were the "leading me" on their clubs.

Very similar to the 80s Rangers with Sandstrom; that teams never had any superstars, but Sandstrom put up excellent numbers.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Take a little deeper dive into that time.

89/90 Season for the Rangers. They were a good team. Rangers were also labeled too soft. Chris Nilan was the enforcer at the time, and he was a warrior however guys like Mallete and King were doing most of the dirty work. They didn't do the best job at that, and considering other teams in the division all employed tougher rosters the Rangers needed to beef Playoffs come.

Straw that broke the Camels back

Rangers meet the Isles in the first round. James Patrick lays a devastating hit on Patty Lafontaine. He goes out cold with a bad concussion. Later in the game, the Isles send out the goon squad. Fights erupt. The Isles led by Baumgartner, Vukota and Nylund really lay down a beating on Kris King, Jeff Bloomberg and Chris Nilan. It was big news at the time. Fans were screaming for the club to toughen up. Team was completely deflated and lost to the Caps in the Patrick Div finals.

1990 The club went into a different direction. The traded for Domi in June. In March of 91 they added Kocur. Rangers weren't labeled soft anymore.

I don't remember the lockerrom issues with Messier. That was a good find whoever posted that. I do remember Domi being a loose cannon though. I do remember Domi having a hard time when fighting bigger heavyweights of the time. Dave Brown, Craig Berube, Baumgartner etc. They all beat him numerous times. I was at the Garden for the 2nd Probert fight. Place literally went ballistic! After that Domi reached legendary status with Rangers fans. How can you not root for a guy that was 5'10 and taking on the toughest guys in the league? Literally the next day the NY Post I believe it was they had a huge piece on the fight and even had punch totals...Such a diferent era back then. That was Domi's last fight in a Rangers sweater though. He was traded shortly after.

I always though the trade happened when the Rangers added Kocur as designated number 1. Guys didn't want to fight Kocur. Listen to the interviews of fighters of that era. Theywould specifically tie up and hang on so they wouldn't get hit. Kocur literally didn't lose a scrap in a Rangers sweater until 93 when Bob McGill caught him in a preseason tilt.

Its also tough to question the Results. Lets face it...the toughest Rangers teams were during those years. They also had incredible success. 1991-92 Winning the presidents trophy. of Course 94 the CUP!

All true, however, if Leetch didn't get injured 10 games before the end of the 1989-90 season, Nilan wasn't out most of the year, and John Druce didn't become Wayne Gretzky for a week, we wouldn't be talking about any of this.

The Islanders and Al Arbour proved just how classless that organization is and always was when he sent his goons after Jeff Bloemberg in Game 5 of the First Round series. Bloemberg said that he was a Christian and would not fight. Islander goons were purposely sent after him. The Rangers disposed of that decrepit team anyway, and toughness really wasn't an issue. Even in the Caps series, it really was more of a case of Druce than anything else. Toughness wouldn't have stopped any of that; while a healthy Leetch would have carved the Capitals up.

IIRC, the trade for Kocur in March 1991 was a desperation move more than anything else. The Rangers were running away with the division and then came upon one of their typical streaks where everything falls apart for three weeks. I thought Kocur was acquired in the middle of one of those streaks.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
A little off topic but as far as the history of this thread...here's Rangers/Islanders 1990 Playoffs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYLpkh5yXWY

I was 9 and remember this being a violent, violent, violent series.

NCRanger-The Kocur trade ruined their season in 1990-91. Not his fault. But Kelly Kissio was out with a Charlie Horse late in the season that made him ineffective for the playoffs when he returned. So Kevin Miller was doing an adequate job as a top 6er in Kissio's absence but then was dealt. The Rangers became a one line team and that's why in the Caps series Amonte and Weight got to play.

Also Richter hurt his groin in like January so Beezer had to start like 20 something games in a row. Boris Rousson was his backup and never played. Back in those days (pretty much post 86-93) before his Florida resurgeance Beezer was a streaky goalie. He had a lot of duds and would just stink for 2-3 games at a time.

Last edited:

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
If Patrick had played in the 70s, 90s, or even today, he'd be much more loved. Guy was solid, physical, and could score. Problem was he played in the wackiest decade in Rangers history; the 80s when they had no real "stars." He also only really played at the tail end of the Craig Patrick/Herb Brooks era, and it seemed like every year after the Rangers went for a major facelift because as I said, they had no stars so tried to assemble as many second tier guys as possible. Stinks Keenan had it out for him. That goes back to Canada Cup 87. Guy played in NY for parts of ten seasons which was pretty impressive even for back then. Him and Erixon started by playing with Anders Hedberg and ended playing with Kovalev and Zubov.

Kissio was one of the better Esposito trades (along with Poddubny). Guy was a really solid player for the Rangers for like five years. He began to slow down around the age of 30 an with the influx of young centers (Weight and Nemchinov), was deemed expendable in the expansion draft.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
Loved Kisio especially when he would put the puck under his skate in the corners and battle .....they had a hard time taking it from him . He was also scared of nobody .

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
All true, however, if Leetch didn't get injured 10 games before the end of the 1989-90 season, Nilan wasn't out most of the year, and John Druce didn't become Wayne Gretzky for a week, we wouldn't be talking about any of this.

The Islanders and Al Arbour proved just how classless that organization is and always was when he sent his goons after Jeff Bloemberg in Game 5 of the First Round series. Bloemberg said that he was a Christian and would not fight. Islander goons were purposely sent after him. The Rangers disposed of that decrepit team anyway, and toughness really wasn't an issue. Even in the Caps series, it really was more of a case of Druce than anything else. Toughness wouldn't have stopped any of that; while a healthy Leetch would have carved the Capitals up.

IIRC, the trade for Kocur in March 1991 was a desperation move more than anything else. The Rangers were running away with the division and then came upon one of their typical streaks where everything falls apart for three weeks. I thought Kocur was acquired in the middle of one of those streaks.

The brawl was at the end of game 1.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I can still hear Druce's name being repeated over and over again during that series.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Outstanding Boris Rousson reference. Haven't heard that name in 25 years.

I always wanted the Rangers to give him a shot during that 1990-91 season when Richter was hurt, granted I was 9-10 years old. Just never had that much confidence in Johnny VB.

I met Beezer when he visited my Day Camp back in 91, and he was really cool, but I was always on Team Richter from the moment he became a permanent member of the team in 1989-90. Just felt more confident and steady with him in net. Beezer could be really good, but I remember he always had these really cold streaks (ironically that would be Richter later in his career on those rough Dark Ages teams) where he was just awful for 3-5 games at a time. Prob didn't help that Richter pretty much won the Islanders Series in 90, and Beezer was being overplayed in 91 with Richter out. I was pretty upset Beezer got the nod over Richter in Game 6 vs. Pittsburgh, but granted that was the Ron Francis goal Series, in retrospect it was the right move.

I've always been curious about what fans thought of Beezer when he came up as a kid in the early 80s, and of course 86 playoffs which turned out to be his second greatest run. I watched the 86 games during the 04-05 lockout when MSG showed them, and he really was a beast. It was a few years before my time.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
I always wanted the Rangers to give him a shot during that 1990-91 season when Richter was hurt, granted I was 9-10 years old. Just never had that much confidence in Johnny VB.

I met Beezer when he visited my Day Camp back in 91, and he was really cool, but I was always on Team Richter from the moment he became a permanent member of the team in 1989-90. Just felt more confident and steady with him in net. Beezer could be really good, but I remember he always had these really cold streaks (ironically that would be Richter later in his career on those rough Dark Ages teams) where he was just awful for 3-5 games at a time. Prob didn't help that Richter pretty much won the Islanders Series in 90, and Beezer was being overplayed in 91 with Richter out. I was pretty upset Beezer got the nod over Richter in Game 6 vs. Pittsburgh, but granted that was the Ron Francis goal Series, in retrospect it was the right move.

I've always been curious about what fans thought of Beezer when he came up as a kid in the early 80s, and of course 86 playoffs which turned out to be his second greatest run. I watched the 86 games during the 04-05 lockout when MSG showed them, and he really was a beast. It was a few years before my time.
Lol. I was like 15 thinking the same thing. As far as Beezer goes, I was a big fan, loved the 85-86 team (Ridley avatar). It was great to have a young goalie with all that potential. Maybe the older posters have a better read on VBK as a prospect.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Lol. I was like 15 thinking the same thing. As far as Beezer goes, I was a big fan, loved the 85-86 team (Ridley avatar). It was great to have a young goalie with all that potential. Maybe the older posters have a better read on VBK as a prospect.

Beezer came out of the gate pretty quick. Cemented that spot over Hanlon and later Froese. Remembered him as being solid number 1. I don't remember him winning the Vezina, but in looking him up he did in 85/86

I cant remember if it was the Hockey News or what publication it was but there was a really good article called attack of the two headed goaltender. Of course it referenced Beezer/Richter. It was late 80's maybe 1990.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad