Prospect Info: Tie-Breaker: Los Angeles Kings Top Prospect Rankings - #2

Who is the Kings' #2 Prospect? TIEBREAKER

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Tie Breaker for Vilardi and Kupari.

Setting this poll for only 24 hours, as I said I would in the previous thread, but otherwise, I'm sticking with 48, since the general consensus seems to favor that. Maybe I'll limit it to 24 hours on tie-breakers only.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I'll take the guy coming off a good D+1 season in a pro league vs. a guy who played 4 games last year.

Not only is the injury a concern, but missing a year of development as a 19 year old is pretty huge too.

Reactions: ScoreZeGoals

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I'll take the guy coming off a good D+1 season in a pro league vs. a guy who played 4 games last year.

Not only is the injury a concern, but missing a year of development as a 19 year old is pretty huge too.

It’s really not.. had Vilardi blown out his knee and missed the season it would have been a “ let’s get him ready for next season type of thing” so the not playing games isn’t really the issue, it’s the fact that nobody knows or has said what’s really wrong with him

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
Does anybody know what, specifically, is the matter with Vilardi's back? Bulging disc stuff or what? Thanks!!!

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
It’s really not.. had Vilardi blown out his knee and missed the season it would have been a “ let’s get him ready for next season type of thing” so the not playing games isn’t really the issue, it’s the fact that nobody knows or has said what’s really wrong with him
The issue is he's missed a season and a half basically in the last 2 seasons.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Might be a good idea to have the loser of this poll be given the #3 spot and go straight to #4.

I'm inclined to agree, but I have concerns for a couple reasons:
- After the winner of this one, it will be the loser versus the rest of the poll + Kaliyev (who had the most nominations).
- I'm not sure if I want to adopt this same practice if there's a tie breaker further down. For example, if for the 10th spot, we have two players winning with 8 votes each, because it's so spread at that point, I'm not going to automatically have the loser of the poll go when the votes could change drastically the next round.

I'll sleep on it. Of course, you're all voters so if you want to put in your two cents, I definitely value your opinion. I'm swaying towards making the loser #4 automatically, just because it wasn't close, but wanted to put my concerns out there for the counter argument and let you all decide.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Kupari for me but my feeling is Vilardi may never play a hockey game again. Just my thoughts. Sad if true.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
The issue is he's missed a season and a half basically in the last 2 seasons.

Yeah it’s an issue but the kid returned twice and dominated like a kid who could have started in the NHL.... I only view last season as a lost one.. if he can return for at least half the season in Ontario he’ll be fine...
So again, missing a season isn’t as alarming as not knowing the extent of his injuries.. So unless you or someone else in here knows what’s up, I’ll continue to expect him to return sometime this coming season and retake the #1 spot on our prospect list

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Kupari for me but my feeling is Vilardi may never play a hockey game again. Just my thoughts. Sad if true.
Why??? If it was career threatening, I’m sure we would have known by now.. Rather it seems they’re playing it safe with a franchise alter prospect and will give it as much time as needed

Reactions: Ghetty Green

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I’m still voting Vilardi. He has the highest potential of any player in our system. Will he play a game in the NHL? I sure hope so, but he’s still only 20 and there were never any questions about his skill set, talent, or work ethic. A lot of players have come back from back injuries. Until anyone says otherwise, I believe he’s our top prospect. In fact, I think he could be a high-end 1C.

With regards to Kupari at the #3 spot, I would be absolutely floored if he got any less than 90% of the vote.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Why??? If it was career threatening, I’m sure we would have known by now.. Rather it seems they’re playing it safe with a franchise alter prospect and will give it as much time as needed

I'm with you not disagreeing at all. I really hope he makes a full recovery he's easily perhaps our best prospect. Just a feeling is all.

Reactions: kings11

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
Vilardi would not have changed either the kings or reign results last year and it almost makes too much sense to shut him down and let time help him , aggravating it constantly for no results would have been macho but not productive overall , and no I do not know what injury he has but if it’s back related as reported most take time and some rest , remember Blake fractured a vertebrae and was out of it for half a season and then rehabbed back to close to his all star self ........he is our 1a or 1b top prospect until ruled out clearly the most talented kid we have I think most agree

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kupari is very underrated

How in the world is Kupari underrated?? if anything, he's overrated at this point.

There's nothing in his game that's developed enough to overtake a blue-chip top-5 pick, and the only reason it's a question of him or Vilardi for our #2 prospect is because of Vilardi's health.

I love Kupari but he's got a very strange aura of infallibility on this forum, people are doing everything they can to not see fault in him.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
How in the world is Kupari underrated?? if anything, he's overrated at this point.

There's nothing in his game that's developed enough to overtake a blue-chip top-5 pick, and the only reason it's a question of him or Vilardi for our #2 prospect is because of Vilardi's health.

I love Kupari but he's got a very strange aura of infallibility on this forum, people are doing everything they can to not see fault in him.

Who knows how Vilardi would be pacing if he were actually playing. Maybe he does not develop either but there is no way of knowing. Everything I have read on Kupari is he is on a better than expected development path and is an NHL talent. We all (including me) think that a healthy Vilardi would be a sure fire top 6 NHL player however the truth is we do not know what his development would have looked like.

Rather have the guy trending up and surpassing expectations than an unknown.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Who knows how Vilardi would be pacing if he were actually playing. Maybe he does not develop either but there is no way of knowing. Everything I have read on Kupari is he is on a better than expected development path and is an NHL talent. We all (including me) think that a healthy Vilardi would be a sure fire top 6 NHL player however the truth is we do not know what his development would have looked like.

Rather have the guy trending up and surpassing expectations than an unknown.

Which is fine, but if he's suddenly at worst our #3 prospect, how is that underrated?

I just hate that phrase because it makes it sound like everyone else here is sleeping on Kupari

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Which is fine, but if he's suddenly at worst our #3 prospect, how is that underrated?

I just hate that phrase because it makes it sound like everyone else here is sleeping on Kupari

Many probably wouldn't like my ranking of Kupari, lol.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Many probably wouldn't like my ranking of Kupari, lol.

Oh, same. But just going by voting, he's going to most likely be #2 or #3, and even that's arguably a hot take, so saying Kupari > Turcotte would be a smoldering one. Edit: and a smoldering take that nearly 11% of voters had. How can he possibly be underrated at this point? I don't see how one can believe so highly in Kupari's upside but not Turcotte's or Vilardi's.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

fair enough on the term under rated.

I still think a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush when it comes to comparing Vliardi and Kupari. Not even sure I would have Vilardi top 5 right now given what we do not know about him.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015

I always agree with you. 100%. Like gazillion times now. This is the first time I don't . And that's fine...no one agrees with everyone here on most everything!
I don't see people hyping Kupari here...there has been a little, but not much that I have seen.

All prospects - especially at 18 and 19 - are kids. Few are mature and developed physically, emotionally, mentally...and it's rare an 18 year old has that all together. I saw more scouting
reports this Spring "hey, he's 18...he's a kid....there's going to be inconsistencies and some lapses..." never seen so much of that and it's true. Saw some write that about Dach,
regarding some of his dry production times.

Kupari certainly has to play a more structured game and get stronger....can't be dangling and dipsy doodling and skating in circles like a banshee in the O zone...
but the fact he can even do that, playing against men 2 years is pretty amazing. So, as he gets more structure and plays within the system, he will hone his
skills to use his teammates better and for himself. How many Fins in Liiga have scored 30+ points in a season, before their 19th BDAY? I'm not sure,
but I'd bet it;s less than 10.

Also, Turcotte was just on the ice with Kupari 2 weeks ago and said he had ""never played against a player that could skate and move like that latterally and has
such great hands...he's truly a unique talent" wow. Geez, Turcotte has played with Hughes, Zegras, and against college players too. That's pretty awesome.

I voted Kupari as #1 prospect and vote for him here as #2 prospect.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I always agree with you. 100%. Like gazillion times now. This is the first time I don't . And that's fine...no one agrees with everyone here on most everything!
I don't see people hyping Kupari here...there has been a little, but not much that I have seen.

All prospects - especially at 18 and 19 - are kids. Few are mature and developed physically, emotionally, mentally...and it's rare an 18 year old has that all together. I saw more scouting
reports this Spring "hey, he's 18...he's a kid....there's going to be inconsistencies and some lapses..." never seen so much of that and it's true. Saw some write that about Dach,
regarding some of his dry production times.

Kupari certainly has to play a more structured game and get stronger....can't be dangling and dipsy doodling and skating in circles like a banshee in the O zone...
but the fact he can even do that, playing against men 2 years is pretty amazing. So, as he gets more structure and plays within the system, he will hone his
skills to use his teammates better and for himself. How many Fins in Liiga have scored 30+ points in a season, before their 19th BDAY? I'm not sure,
but I'd bet it;s less than 10.

Also, Turcotte was just on the ice with Kupari 2 weeks ago and said he had ""never played against a player that could skate and move like that latterally and has
such great hands...he's truly a unique talent" wow. Geez, Turcotte has played with Hughes, Zegras, and against college players too. That's pretty awesome.

I voted Kupari as #1 prospect and vote for him here as #2 prospect.

The problem I see with Kupari is everyone is giving him a free pass they're not giving literally anyone else. They're looking at only his upside and his raw skills and past his faults practically guaranteeing him to be a top-six winger as soon as next year. You say you're not seeing it--I'm seeing it pretty frequently. Maybe it's confirmation bias, but I also remember the reasoning--he's doing it vs. men over there so he could do it over here.

I know there's something to be said for a guy playing against men vs. a guy playing against juniors, but Kupari is still very raw. And when the playoffs started, he vanished. I still think he's one of our top prospects, I just think he has faults too--he has a lot to learn about using his teammates period, not just in the ozone. He's got the same inconsistencies and lapses as others. There's a reason Futa (was it Yanetti? recent article) compared him to Kempe's skillset, saying the major difference was Kupari attacks the man while Kempe takes the zone. I like the offensive assertiveness, but it's almost predictable, and if NHL defender's KNOW you're going to skate the zone instead of dump it every time, you'd better believe they're going to be more aggressive on you. He turns the puck over at an insanely high rate, obviously reflective of his possession time and want for the puck, but you can't just ignore it either. There are bad habits and things he gets away with in Europe that he won't here and I think there's a lot more of a learning curve ahead for him than others.

Turcotte's comments were about a guy Kupari's SIZE being that fluid, which is encouraging. Especially given he's apparently had a growth spurt, he at least has prototypical nhl skill forward size now without the awkwardness that comes with it. I totally agree that he's got sky high potential and those raw skills being molded into a team player makes for a formidable player. I just don't think he's flawless and I think he's gotten off pretty scot-free from criticism recently, that's all.

To me, he's Ales Hemsky. The non-glass version. And I say that adoringly, not as a slap. But I would never take an Ales Hemsky type over a Jason Allison or Toews type. We're talking degrees of awesome, not degrees of bad.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
The problem I see with Kupari is everyone is giving him a free pass they're not giving literally anyone else. They're looking at only his upside and his raw skills and past his faults practically guaranteeing him to be a top-six winger as soon as next year. You say you're not seeing it--I'm seeing it pretty frequently. Maybe it's confirmation bias, but I also remember the reasoning--he's doing it vs. men over there so he could do it over here.

I know there's something to be said for a guy playing against men vs. a guy playing against juniors, but Kupari is still very raw. And when the playoffs started, he vanished. I still think he's one of our top prospects, I just think he has faults too--he has a lot to learn about using his teammates period, not just in the ozone. He's got the same inconsistencies and lapses as others. There's a reason Futa (was it Yanetti? recent article) compared him to Kempe's skillset, saying the major difference was Kupari attacks the man while Kempe takes the zone. I like the offensive assertiveness, but it's almost predictable, and if NHL defender's KNOW you're going to skate the zone instead of dump it every time, you'd better believe they're going to be more aggressive on you. He turns the puck over at an insanely high rate, obviously reflective of his possession time and want for the puck, but you can't just ignore it either. There are bad habits and things he gets away with in Europe that he won't here and I think there's a lot more of a learning curve ahead for him than others.

Turcotte's comments were about a guy Kupari's SIZE being that fluid, which is encouraging. Especially given he's apparently had a growth spurt, he at least has prototypical nhl skill forward size now without the awkwardness that comes with it. I totally agree that he's got sky high potential and those raw skills being molded into a team player makes for a formidable player. I just don't think he's flawless and I think he's gotten off pretty scot-free from criticism recently, that's all.

To me, he's Ales Hemsky. The non-glass version. And I say that adoringly, not as a slap.

To me there is more to be said about a guy playing against vs a guy not playing

Reactions: steepdrop

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille