Tickets from historic games

islescoop

Jul 24, 2011
I have decided that I want to start collecting historic sports tickets especially those with personal significance. Does anyone have or know where I can get my hands on a ticket from 1980 game 6, 1993 volek (I know it was in Pitt but to this day my all time favorite sports moment) or first game ever in 72. Next on my list will be us/ussr.

Reactions: scott99

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I have decided that I want to start collecting historic sports tickets especially those with personal significance. Does anyone have or know where I can get my hands on a ticket from 1980 game 6, 1993 volek (I know it was in Pitt but to this day my all time favorite sports moment) or first game ever in 72. Next on my list will be us/ussr.
Not personally. You might try this facebook group dedicated to hockey ticket stub collecting.
Facebook Groups

Reactions: scott99

scott99

May 13, 2005
Man, I had a ticket from a playoff game vs Boston in 1980 when Gillies fought O’Reilly twice. That was an incredible game. Wish I still had that ticket.

Green

Nov 13, 2019
I have a ticket stub from Jim Careys first win which was against the Islanders, would have probably been worth something if he didn't do whatever he did

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I saved my ticket stubs from all 3 home Cup-winning games, plus a lot of other games. I'm keeping them, but would be interested to know if they have any value at all. Not that it would make up for my huge box of mid-late 1960s baseball cards that got thrown out decades ago.... :laugh:

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
I also have my stubs from 1980 game 6 as well as many other playoff games. Also have concert ticket stubs from the Long Island Arena.

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
[Pens fan. Insert usual "I come in peace" caveat.]

Cool topic.

I really liked the Penguins' odds of repeating as Cup champs in 2009-10, which also was the final season for the Civic Arena in Pittsburgh, so as season ticket holders, my wife and I decided not to remove any tickets from our books of tickets. For every game, we carried the entire books, opened them to the page of that night's game and had them scanned at the gates, then tucked the books away in a backpack.

The books are loaded with trivia and notable arena memories, and we figured they'd make a pretty awesome keepsake even if the Pens didn't win the Cup that year (spoiler alert: they didn't). They're in perfect condition, and I still occasionally consider going through the box scores from that season and trying to get players from the team to sign the ticket stubs for games when they had notable performances.

A quick look at that season recap tells me the only notable Pens milestone reached at home that year was Crosby's 500th point (against the Isles) but those books also feature tickets to the Dec. 30, 2009, game ... at which Marty Brodeur broke the all-time career shutouts record. Weird how things work out.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I have a stub from the game where Dina and Jill scissored between periods....

are you interested?

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
So the top 3 games at NVMC should be pretty easy
IDK. The other 2 home Cups were great but were game 4 of sweeps. There were some amazing other games. Jethro mentioned Bossy's 50 in 50 - he scored the last 2 goals in the last 5 or 10 minutes of that game. It was nuts. And my namesake game was amazing too. 15 consecutive wins game. The comeback game 5 against PIT.... And that's just the dynasty era off the top of my head.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

Fist of Gillies

Apr 9, 2007

I have the stub from Game 6 vs PIT in 1993. Probably the greatest game I ever attended at NVMC.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
IDK. The other 2 home Cups were great but were game 4 of sweeps. There were some amazing other games. Jethro mentioned Bossy's 50 in 50 - he scored the last 2 goals in the last 5 or 10 minutes of that game. It was nuts. And my namesake game was amazing too. 15 consecutive wins game. The comeback game 5 against PIT.... And that's just the dynasty era off the top of my head.

You spoiled mofo's

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
You spoiled mofo's
:)

True, but I think there are plenty of post-dynasty games that can be in a "best NVMC games" list. The "double chili" game was just a regular season game against the NYR that was made special by circumstances. It basically afforded the fans the opportunity to heap abuse upon NYR fans and their team. It's kind of analogous to the PIT fight game and the Tavares return game (both of which I would've loved to be at). Those kinds of games are just fun - not a lot of stress. An OT win is 3-4 hours of stress with fun at the end. :laugh:

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

Jethro

Another relic...
Oct 9, 2015
S. Florida
As someone who saw less than 25 Isles games at the Coli (along with a few at MSG) I feel blessed that I got to see potentially 3 of the top 10 or so - 1st Cup win, Bossy's 50 in 50, and the Double Chili game. I've lived away from the NY area for nearly 30 years now...so glad I got to bring my son to a game up that way last year to feel the magic one more time.

I think we need a separate thread for NVMC memories.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
As someone who saw less than 25 Isles games at the Coli (along with a few at MSG) I feel blessed that I got to see potentially 3 of the top 10 or so - 1st Cup win, Bossy's 50 in 50, and the Double Chili game. I've lived away from the NY area for nearly 30 years now...so glad I got to bring my son to a game up that way last year to feel the magic one more time.

I think we need a separate thread for NVMC memories.

Agreed, but not yet...memories are still being made.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Actually the only decent ticket I have is from an Isles road game at MSG on April, 2nd 1993.

It was the Pierre Turgeon OT goal that went a long way (still not clinched) to push the Isles into the playoffs and the Rangers out.

I also have ceremonial game tickets (Trottier’s number retirement etc). But I consider those different.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
upload_2021-6-6_0-36-9.jpeg

upload_2021-6-6_0-36-33.jpeg

Thanks Dad, I was 15 months.

I think I need to get this framed?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad