Ticket/Attendance Discussion: The Sequel

jimsabo21

Jul 2, 2011
The entire 'vaccine requirement' is now very dumb. I'm vaxxed and boosted. That said, it's time for some normalcy. The same people that say they would never attend a Jets game if (god forbid) there's unvaccinated fans are simply illogical at this piont. THERE'S ALWAYS BEEN UNVACCINATED FANS AT GAMES. Kids UNDER twelve have been permitted all year and weren't vaxxed until December'ish. Even today, only 55% of kids are vaccinated and WILL STILL BE attending games. All these kids attend school with 500 - 2000 other kids (50% unvaccinated) each and every day.

Let's call a spade a spade. Most aren't really that *scared* of unvaccinated. They just want the policy to be punitive because they've done their *part* to help end the pandemic. It's time to move on. Rip off the bandaid. At some point, they'll need to do it, people will be in a *fake uproar* then forget about it a week later. Same with restaurants, pubs, bars, etc ...

On a side note, a close personal friend of mine is the LOUDEST social media pro-vaccine requirements. He just took his family to Disney World in Florida (no vaccine requirements). I guess he's only concerned about unvaccinated Manitobans.

JonS

Oct 14, 2021
The entire 'vaccine requirement' is now very dumb. I'm vaxxed and boosted. That said, it's time for some normalcy. The same people that say they would never attend a Jets game if (god forbid) there's unvaccinated fans are simply illogical at this piont. THERE'S ALWAYS BEEN UNVACCINATED FANS AT GAMES. Kids UNDER twelve have been permitted all year and weren't vaxxed until December'ish. Even today, only 55% of kids are vaccinated and WILL STILL BE attending games. All these kids attend school with 500 - 2000 other kids (50% unvaccinated) each and every day.

Let's call a spade a spade. Most aren't really that *scared* of unvaccinated. They just want the policy to be punitive because they've done their *part* to help end the pandemic. It's time to move on. Rip off the bandaid. At some point, they'll need to do it, people will be in a *fake uproar* then forget about it a week later. Same with restaurants, pubs, bars, etc ...

On a side note, a close personal friend of mine is the LOUDEST social media pro-vaccine requirements. He just took his family to Disney World in Florida (no vaccine requirements). I guess he's only concerned about unvaccinated Manitobans.
Its a do as I say not as I do world we live in.

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
As a pretty die hard Jets fan, I live too far away to attend many games, but anytime I do I'm usually pretty damn excited. But I fear for this organization right now with the amount of people I know not renewing tickets and that they would rather stay home and watch it on TV than spend the amount to go watch.

I went to a game in November against the Islanders....and I was very disappointed in the product on ice and the entertainment value provided outside of the game. I find the MC guy to be annoying and not very good at his job.

Part of me blames the opponent for the lack of atmosphere as the Isles are a boring team to play, but the Jets on ice product was awful, boring and zero life.

The rest of the season has gone much of the same way, I often can't bring myself to watch our team for an entire game. I get angry at our supposed "super stars" especially Sheifele and Wheeler with a lack of emotion and willingness to do anything to win.

I fear our organization needs to figure this out VERY quickly or the middle class Manitobans who fill the seats will stop showing up and the Jets future will be unknown.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Gary Bettman in 2011: *speaking to Winnipeggers* “If this arena isn’t sold out every night then this isn’t gonna work.”

*Meanwhile the Coyotes are moving into a 5,000-seat arena.* :laugh:

But only one of those teams needs to make money or lose very little before the rug will get pulled (The NHL would not spend a cent to keep one of the teams afloat) ....I will let you figure out the one I'm talking about ;)

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I guess I must be on someone's ignore list if they didn't see this thread already existed. Mods, might as well merge them as you see fit.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I see your points. I have been 'protected' from the unvaxxed at restaurants, etc since they started the passports. But I have been breathing their air in stores all along.

But I'm dubious of the entire removal of public health measures at this time. Hospitalizations are down from their peak but still higher than at any time prior to the Omicron variant. And they appear to have leveled off where they are. The number in ICU is also still high and not dropping and the death rate is still high.

We might be only a couple of weeks, or a month shy of the point where these restrictions should be getting lifted. But we are not quite there yet. Lifting them too early could result in a serious setback. I'm good with maintaining the vax passports at Jets games till the end of the regular season. After 2 years of Covid measures, I can handle another month or two. I will continue to wear a mask for a while longer too. Its no big deal.

Edit: Today's numbers have come in with a drop in both hospitalizations and ICU tenants. Deaths were high. Overall, encouraging but we won't see any more numbers until Monday. I'll keep the celebration on hold at least until then.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
As a pretty die hard Jets fan, I live too far away to attend many games, but anytime I do I'm usually pretty damn excited. But I fear for this organization right now with the amount of people I know not renewing tickets and that they would rather stay home and watch it on TV than spend the amount to go watch.

I went to a game in November against the Islanders....and I was very disappointed in the product on ice and the entertainment value provided outside of the game. I find the MC guy to be annoying and not very good at his job.

Part of me blames the opponent for the lack of atmosphere as the Isles are a boring team to play, but the Jets on ice product was awful, boring and zero life.

The rest of the season has gone much of the same way, I often can't bring myself to watch our team for an entire game. I get angry at our supposed "super stars" especially Sheifele and Wheeler with a lack of emotion and willingness to do anything to win.

I fear our organization needs to figure this out VERY quickly or the middle class Manitobans who fill the seats will stop showing up and the Jets future will be unknown.

I don't want to be an alarmist, but this is real.
I think the on ice product getting better will turn it around. And I don't even mean more winning, though that certainly helps. But we need a hard working team that plays hard all the time. Our 2015 team was good, but not as good as we probably thought it was. But it was entertaining to watch. This team we have now that plays their best against good teams and drops turds when playing bad ones is not that entertaining.

civic204

Jun 1, 2012
Attendance is down in all Canadian markets. I think TN has to react and adapt, but I don't think the sky is falling. My list of reasons for the decline:
-fewer people working downtown
-fewer people visiting Winnipeg
-unvaccinated can't attend
-lots of folks hate masks
-some still scared of covid
-inconsistent performance on the ice, frustrating to watch
-inflation and rising cost of living
-tickets are no longer scarce

Johnnucleo

Jan 2, 2016
Ostrava
Just got call from a ticket rep at True North, asking if I was interested in group tickets or mini packs. He said TN is now calling every single person who has a Jets Account on Ticketmaster. So basically if you ever rec'd ticket transfers in the past, expect a call at some point, TN getting desperate............cold calling people with Ticketmaster accounts.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Attendance is down in all Canadian markets. I think TN has to react and adapt, but I don't think the sky is falling. My list of reasons for the decline:

Would agree... I wouldn't get alarmed too much until people can go back to attending games like we did before Covid. If, at that point, there are still attendance issues, then we will see. If teams don't want attendance issues, lower the price as a start would help.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Just got call from a ticket rep at True North, asking if I was interested in group tickets or mini packs. He said TN is now calling every single person who has a Jets Account on Ticketmaster. So basically if you ever rec'd ticket transfers in the past, expect a call at some point, TN getting desperate............cold calling people with Ticketmaster accounts.

Shouldn't be a surprise. This was one of the "benefits" of going to electronic tickets ... knowing everyone who ever had tickets to a game.

Reactions: The Blue Baron

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Agreed, another i would add is weather this winter. Stay at home and watch or drive to rink in a snowstorm or -50c .

Reactions: Gm0ney

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Agreed, another I would add is the dangerously high noise levels inside the arena. Why is it necessary? It's a hockey game, not a rock concert.

The volume at the arena is nothing compared to the absolute terror I felt when I attended a a game at the Xcel Energy Center in Minneapolis and heard their goal horn for the first time. The volume felt much louder there than it does at Canada Life but I've found the volume varies depending on where you sit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad