Prospect Info: THW's The Next Ones Draft Guide: Red Wings Draft Prep Headquarters

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
Rome wasn't built in a day and neither was The Next Ones 2013 NHL Entry Draft Guide.

Copious amount of draft info...

THW's Official Draft Guide is now live on The Hockey Writers - all free. Bookmark and check back often as this is a "live" article that is continually updated with new articles as our team of "prospect profilers" churn out articles on the draft and your favourite team's prospects.

*New easy prospect finder: 2013 NHL Draft Prospect Index >110 prospect close ups in unique template

Prototype Sample Profiles:
Nathan MacKinnon Draft Profile
Seth Jones Draft Profile
Jonathan Drouin Draft Profile

What you'll find:
RedWingsspecific articles contained within the guide and at this link

Including:
Re-drafting the Red Wings’ Last 10 First Round Picks

Detroit Red Wings Potential Draft Targets

___

*2013 NHL Draft Prospect Index

**2013 NHL Draft Guide: The Next Ones
***2013 NHL Draft Rankings: The Next Ones Final Top 210

RedWingsNow*

Those redrafts are so stupid.
Is everyone's answer "Zdeno Chara?" LOL
Ridiculous

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I wonder, if we didn't slowplay our prospects so much, if they would be less disappointing.

TheNextDaigle

Mar 1, 2013
My biggest gripe with that re-draft was the evaluation of the recent draft picks in Brendan Smith and Sheahan. There is no way we can know how their careers compare to those of PK Subban and Etem, respectively, when it is all said and done. They are simply too young. Sure, everyone would want Subban over Smith at this point, but their careers have just begun.

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
The worst one is Fisher over Jiri Fischer....he was rounding out to be a really great pick. I guess we should've known he would collapse on the bench during a game. :shakehead

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The worst one is Fisher over Jiri Fischer....he was rounding out to be a really great pick. I guess we should've known he would collapse on the bench during a game. :shakehead

Yeah, plus I am pretty confident Jiri would have turned out to be a better player than Mike Fisher if he hadn't got hurt on top of that.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
My biggest gripe with that re-draft was the evaluation of the recent draft picks in Brendan Smith and Sheahan. There is no way we can know how their careers compare to those of PK Subban and Etem, respectively, when it is all said and done. They are simply too young. Sure, everyone would want Subban over Smith at this point, but their careers have just begun.

I am intrigued by your Sheahan vs Etem point but right before that you said something to the effect of: We don't know how Smith's careeer compares to Subban's.

Umm, that's cray cray. I love Smith, I hope to high heaven he turns into half the player his talent says he could be some day but I would snap trade him for Subban and there's no way watching both play you wouldn't do the same. That's a wiff; period.

(Sorry, it's early, if that sounded aggressive and insulting it's not meant that way; I rite gud. My bad:( )

TheNextDaigle

Mar 1, 2013
I am intrigued by your Sheahan vs Etem point but right before that you said something to the effect of: We don't know how Smith's careeer compares to Subban's.

Umm, that's cray cray. I love Smith, I hope to high heaven he turns into half the player his talent says he could be some day but I would snap trade him for Subban and there's no way watching both play you wouldn't do the same. That's a wiff; period.

(Sorry, it's early, if that sounded aggressive and insulting it's not meant that way; I rite gud. My bad:( )

I knew the Smith vs Subban comparison would draw "negative attention", and while it is an instant win for Subban at this moment, things can change because they are so damn young still.

For all we know, Subban could be dealing with concussion issues for the next 5 seasons and never turn out another superb season ever again, while Smith could turn into Keith "lite" and maybe even be a key part of a Stanley Cup win. Again, it is still so very early on in their careers.

And of course I would trade Smith for Subban today no questions asked, but, and maybe I am being a bit extreme in my view here, my main point is that comparing draft winners/losers after just a couple of seasons is ludicrous.

A winner/loser can only really be declared after many, many seasons (around 10?) of play (total busts never reaching NHL etc being the exception). It is the classic tale of turtle/hare. Subban leads by a country mile right now, but who know what might befall him/Smith in the coming 5-10 years.

TheNextDaigle

Mar 1, 2013
Yeah, plus I am pretty confident Jiri would have turned out to be a better player than Mike Fisher if he hadn't got hurt on top of that.

I think the point is still a bit lost on you guys(?), as Detroit definitely would have gotten more out of picking Fisher, rather than Jiri Fischer, as cynical as that might sound.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
I knew the Smith vs Subban comparison would draw "negative attention", and while it is an instant win for Subban at this moment, things can change because they are so damn young still.

For all we know, Subban could be dealing with concussion issues for the next 5 seasons and never turn out another superb season ever again, while Smith could turn into Keith "lite" and maybe even be a key part of a Stanley Cup win. Again, it is still so very early on in their careers.

And of course I would trade Smith for Subban today no questions asked, but, and maybe I am being a bit extreme in my view here, my main point is that comparing draft winners/losers after just a couple of seasons is ludicrous.

A winner/loser can only really be declared after many, many seasons (around 10?) of play (total busts never reaching NHL etc being the exception). It is the classic tale of turtle/hare. Subban leads by a country mile right now, but who know what might befall him/Smith in the coming 5-10 years.

Alright, that's very lucid and reasonable. Smith is pretty sky high and anyone can blow a knee or such at any time; that's life.

BUT SUBBAN! Okay, I'm done. Sorry. :)

PS - if Smith makes the jump that some of the more optimistic ppl on here think he's going to make in his 2nd season; it'll be a much more interesting argument... that Subban will still win, but more interesting :)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think the point is still a bit lost on you guys(?), as Detroit definitely would have gotten more out of picking Fisher, rather than Jiri Fischer, as cynical as that might sound.

I understand the point of this article, but to fault the Wings for drafting a guy like Fischer is stupid. You can't predict those kinds of injuries.

Guys like McCollum are just bad picks and straight busts.

I think it's stupid to throw guys like Fischer in with that kind of company. He debuted with the wings at 19. He would have had an awesome career.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto

Agree with this too. What happened, happened. I said the same thing when people were saying Bossy was a better #15 overall draft pick than Sakic in the polls forum. Woulda, coulda, shoulda, Sakic didn't get hurt so it doesn't matter how much more talented Bossy was (and yes he was, that guy makes Hulls trigger look slow).

Love Jiri but he took forever to develop and then once he did, poof. I am glad he survived and he seems like a pretty good player development guy; but rewind time? We take Mike.

Edit: fine, slow to develop is not fair: I was impatient because he was huge. Better?

Last edited:

TheNextDaigle

Mar 1, 2013
I understand the point of this article, but to fault the Wings for drafting a guy like Fischer is stupid. You can't predict those kinds of injuries.

Guys like McCollum are just bad picks and straight busts.

I think it's stupid to throw guys like Fischer in with that kind of company. He debuted with the wings at 19. He would have had an awesome career.

Semantics. The reasons behind the failed picks might vary greatly (bad scouting vs bad luck), but the results are still the same.

PS: I also don´t believe the article´s intention was to "belittle" or fault the DRW for picking Fischer.

sureWhyNot

Jan 24, 2012
Chicago
LOL at anyone even hinting that the Smith vs Subban re draft is debatable. One just won the Norris the other one put together one of the worst stetches of post season hockey I've ever seen.

I don't care if Smith is young. Lets say he improves 10 times over - Subban is still better.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Might as well just update this article now and put Bertuzzi at #58 on there....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad