News Article: THW Two-Round Mock: Oil takes Nurse, Dickinson, Yakimov

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I'd be ok with Nurse at 7 over Nichushkin, but I'll be disappointed if we leave Petan on the board. We need to get bigger, but it'll be a mistake to pass on him. He's tremendously talented.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I kinda think that Carolina will take Nurse.

1 Colorado – MacKinnon
2 Florida – Jones
3 Tampa – Drouin
4 Nashville - Barkov
5 Carolina - Nurse
6 Calgary - Monahan
7 Edmonton – Nichushkin
8 Buffalo – Lindholm
9 New Jersey – Wennberg
10 Dallas – Ristolainen
11 Philly – Domi
12 Phoenix – Mantha
13 Winnipeg – Shinkaruk
14 Columbus - Morin
15 Islanders – Lazar
16 Buffalo – Horvat
17 Ottawa – Fucale
18 Detroit – Zadarov
19 Columbus – Pulock
20 San Jose – Zykov
21 Toronto – Burakowsky
22 Calgary – Santini
23 Washington – Kerby
24 Vancouver – Gauthier
25 Montreal – Rychel
26 Anaheim – Bowey
27 Columbus – Heatherington
28 Calgary – Morrissey
29 Dallas – McCarron
30 Chicago - Compher

That's my mock draft. Carlolina's weakness is on the blueline and they haven't got a ton of sure fire top 4 d-men in the system. Wouldn't surprise me if Nurse played in the NHL in the 14/15 season. Big. mean and good all around player. Wouldn't feel bad if we drafted him.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I kinda think that Carolina will take Nurse.

1 Colorado – MacKinnon
2 Florida – Jones
3 Tampa – Drouin
4 Nashville - Barkov
5 Carolina - Nurse
6 Calgary - Monahan
7 Edmonton – Nichushkin
8 Buffalo – Lindholm
9 New Jersey – Wennberg
10 Dallas – Ristolainen
11 Philly – Domi
12 Phoenix – Mantha
13 Winnipeg – Shinkaruk
14 Columbus - Morin
15 Islanders – Lazar
16 Buffalo – Horvat
17 Ottawa – Fucale
18 Detroit – Zadarov
19 Columbus – Pulock
20 San Jose – Zykov
21 Toronto – Burakowsky
22 Calgary – Santini
23 Washington – Kerby
24 Vancouver – Gauthier
25 Montreal – Rychel
26 Anaheim – Bowey
27 Columbus – Heatherington
28 Calgary – Morrissey
29 Dallas – McCarron
30 Chicago - Compher

That's my mock draft. Carlolina's weakness is on the blueline and they haven't got a ton of sure fire top 4 d-men in the system. Wouldn't surprise me if Nurse played in the NHL in the 14/15 season. Big. mean and good all around player. Wouldn't feel bad if we drafted him.

At picks 23 and 25, are Kerby and Rychel halves of the same player?

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
THW's The Next Ones Draft Guide: Oilers Draft Prep Headquarters

Rome wasn't built in a day and neither was The Next Ones 2013 NHL Entry Draft Guide.

Copious amount of draft info...

THW's Official Draft Guide is now live on The Hockey Writers - all free. Bookmark and check back often as this is a "live" article that is continually updated with new articles as our team of "prospect profilers" churn out articles on the draft and your favourite team's prospects.

*New easy prospect finder: 2013 NHL Draft Prospect Index >110 prospect close ups in unique template

Prototype Sample Profiles:
Nathan MacKinnon Draft Profile
Seth Jones Draft Profile
Jonathan Drouin Draft Profile

What you'll find:
Oilersspecific articles contained within the guide and at this link

Including:

Re-Drafting the Edmonton Oilers Last Ten First Rounds

2013 NHL Draft: Edmonton Oilers Edition

Edmonton Oilers Need to Look at Trading the Seventh Overall Pick

Kris Letang: How Edmonton Can Strike Oil

___

*2013 NHL Draft Prospect Index

**2013 NHL Draft Guide: The Next Ones
***2013 NHL Draft Rankings: The Next Ones Final Top 210

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
This Chris Ralph guy is brilliant

Rome wasn't built in a day and neither was The Next Ones 2013 NHL Entry Draft Guide.

Copious amount of draft info...

THW's Official Draft Guide is now live on The Hockey Writers - all free. Bookmark and check back often as this is a "live" article that is continually updated with new articles as our team of "prospect profilers" churn out articles on the draft and your favourite team's prospects.

*New easy prospect finder: 2013 NHL Draft Prospect Index >110 prospect close ups in unique template

Prototype Sample Profiles:
Nathan MacKinnon Draft Profile
Seth Jones Draft Profile
Jonathan Drouin Draft Profile

What you'll find:
Oilersspecific articles contained within the guide and at this link

Including:

Re-Drafting the Edmonton Oilers Last Ten First Rounds

2013 NHL Draft: Edmonton Oilers Edition

Edmonton Oilers Need to Look at Trading the Seventh Overall Pick

Kris Letang: How Edmonton Can Strike Oil

___

*2013 NHL Draft Prospect Index

**2013 NHL Draft Guide: The Next Ones
***2013 NHL Draft Rankings: The Next Ones Final Top 210

You should read everything he writes, except of course his diary, which is none of your business.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I think it would be insane for Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov or Jones to be available at 7th. I'm going to just say it would be impossible.

With who's left you'd got to think that Edmonton's A list at 7 would be (in no particular order)

Monahan - Size, we need depth at center, good offence and good defensive play
Lindholm - Not the smallest guy out there, tons of skill and 2 way play. Need depth at center.
Nurse - Giant, mean, good skater and good 2 way
Nichushkin - Giant, incredibly athletic tons of upside. Probably the guy with the most risk here because he's still very raw and needs to learn to play better in his own zone.

If Edmonton insists on drafting anyone else, they're surely moving down in the draft, correct?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I don't think we draft defense. I think when MacT said he wants a center he'll do that.

I agree. It really hard to figure HOW to think about this.

Marincin and Klefbom will be ready to make contributions in the NHL pretty soon, so you'd think that Nurse isn't something we need right away but he's got a ton of upside.

If Mac-T and Stew Figure that Nurse will turn out to be a way better player than the other guys available then they might take him. Hard to say at this point.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
I agree. It really hard to figure HOW to think about this.

Marincin and Klefbom will be ready to make contributions in the NHL pretty soon, so you'd think that Nurse isn't something we need right away but he's got a ton of upside.

If Mac-T and Stew Figure that Nurse will turn out to be a way better player than the other guys available then they might take him. Hard to say at this point.

Klefbom was injured all year and Marincin hasnt proven anything yet. It's quite possible neither of them turn out to be anything special. While drafting a d-man isnt optimal if they see one as the BPA that has to be the pick. The only thing we skip over even if it's the BPA is a small skill forward.

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
why does everyone think we need Jason Dickinson? i have a pile of other player the Oilers should take before this guy. i would be disappointed if they wasted their #37 pick on this guy!!

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
MacKinnon/Jones/Drouin/Barkov obviously wont be there.

Of the remaining guys:
Lindholm
Monahan
Nichushkin
Nurse
Ristolainen

Taking anyone else would be a travesty, especially if Elias Lindholm is on the board. Also I will be beyond pissed if we traded down for Curtis Lazar, all it would say is that the Oilers only scout Oil Kings players and draft them waaaaaaaay too high.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
MacKinnon/Jones/Drouin/Barkov obviously wont be there.

Of the remaining guys:
Lindholm
Monahan
Nichushkin
Nurse
Ristolainen

Taking anyone else would be a travesty, especially if Elias Lindholm is on the board. Also I will be beyond pissed if we traded down for Curtis Lazar, all it would say is that the Oilers only scout Oil Kings players and draft them waaaaaaaay too high.

We've taken two Oil Kings...

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
Klefbom was injured all year and Marincin hasnt proven anything yet. It's quite possible neither of them turn out to be anything special. While drafting a d-man isnt optimal if they see one as the BPA that has to be the pick. The only thing we skip over even if it's the BPA is a small skill forward.

what Klefbom and Marincin represent is an upgrade in the mediocrity that is the Oiler defense. maybe neither turn out to be "anything special", but what if the Oilers take Nurse and HE turns out to be nothing special?

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
We've taken two Oil Kings...

Both of which were awful picks. Lets be honest, a monkey with a brain tumor would've known not to select an Oil King first overall the past few drafts. The fact that they even considered Griffin Reinhart last year appalls me. Even though they're often not available at the right spots. This team is known to have an obsession with ranking Oil Kings players too high because of "familiarity", which is a recipe for disaster. see: Moroz, Mitchell

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Both of which were awful picks. Lets be honest, a monkey with a brain tumor would've known not to select an Oil King first overall the past few drafts. The fact that they even considered Griffin Reinhart last year appalls me. Even though they're often not available at the right spots. This team is known to have an obsession with ranking Oil Kings players too high because of "familiarity", which is a recipe for disaster. see: Moroz, Mitchell

How was Ewanyk at 74th overall a bad pick? Moroz MIGHT be a bad pick, but its still too early to know

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad