THW Column: Kings draft analyzed & graded

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Great read! My favorite line...

...it is hard to fathom Zykov not blossoming into a 30+ goal first liner at the NHL level.

I'm so pumped at this pick. Dean, once again, did a remarkable job.

Captain Mittens*

Conference A mother*****es!

#whatstheplanhannibal

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
They earned it

Loving the Guppies grade...HAHA.

Out of all 30 teams, I only gave one grade lower than a C-, but the Sharks earned it.

They could have had Shinkaruk/Zykov, Heatherington, Bowey and Hayden/Lodge had they stood pat and had one of the top drafts in the NHL.

Instead they have a checking line forward (Kennedy), a second-pairing d-man no better than Heatherington or Bowey (Mueller), and a longshot project forward without first line upside (Paquin-Boudreau).

Not just bad, but embarrassing.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Out of all 30 teams, I only gave one grade lower than a C-, but the Sharks earned it.

They could have had Shinkaruk/Zykov, Heatherington, Bowey and Hayden/Lodge had they stood pat and had one of the top drafts in the NHL.

Instead they have a checking line forward (Kennedy), a second-pairing d-man no better than Heatherington or Bowey (Mueller), and a longshot project forward without first line upside (Paquin-Boudreau).

You. I like you.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011

Music to my ears! Just beautiful!

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
I 100% agree. The draft is my favorite day of the year and this one didn't disappoint. We got a guy who hits seriously every ****ing check mark imaginable for our team in Zykov. I was honestly shocked Fasching was still there and extremely happy that he was. Remeber Prokhorkin? Same style of pick. Decent name going in, slipped, and will be a steal for us if everything turns out like it should. The one thing I wish you talked about was Bartosak. Him, along with the other two mentioned, are what Kings fans should REALLY be excited about. Bartosak has a lot of skills that can't be taught. What does need work on him CAN be taught. Even if he ends up a career backup, it's a great pick. Obviously it's hard to work without a first and your first pick being at 57 but Dean, Futa, Yannetti, and the rest of the scouting staff has once again done a great job.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
I 100% agree. The draft is my favorite day of the year and this one didn't disappoint. We got a guy who hits seriously every ****ing check mark imaginable for our team in Zykov. I was honestly shocked Fasching was still there and extremely happy that he was. Remeber Prokhorkin? Same style of pick. Decent name going in, slipped, and will be a steal for us if everything turns out like it should. The one thing I wish you talked about was Bartosak. Him, along with the other two mentioned, are what Kings fans should REALLY be excited about. Bartosak has a lot of skills that can't be taught. What does need work on him CAN be taught. Even if he ends up a career backup, it's a great pick. Obviously it's hard to work without a first and your first pick being at 57 but Dean, Futa, Yannetti, and the rest of the scouting staff has once again done a great job.

This ^.

I have my notes on Barto.

He is a stand up goalie who tracks the puck at an elite prospect level. He has all the solid lateral movement that you can ask for. He can skate very well. His rebound control is way above average. He needs time and work both to get his game working the same in every aspect but he also needs time to develop his confidence. He can get rattled and when he does it takes him time to get his game back.

The same can be said about every young goalie but with Barto it is a bigger issue. When he is on his game he is dead solid and is a great young goalie and that is most of the time. He is 3yrs from pro 5 from NHL (give or take a year) but he is definitely an NHL caliber prospect.

I had him as a 3rd rounder but am happy to be wrong.

northernKing

Jul 15, 2004
This ^.

I have my notes on Barto.

He is a stand up goalie who tracks the puck at an elite prospect level. He has all the solid lateral movement that you can ask for. He can skate very well. His rebound control is way above average. He needs time and work both to get his game working the same in every aspect but he also needs time to develop his confidence. He can get rattled and when he does it takes him time to get his game back.

The same can be said about every young goalie but with Barto it is a bigger issue. When he is on his game he is dead solid and is a great young goalie and that is most of the time. He is 3yrs from pro 5 from NHL (give or take a year) but he is definitely an NHL caliber prospect.

I had him as a 3rd rounder but am happy to be wrong.

Isn't he 20? And if so he should be turning pro possibly next season. Maybe splitting time in Ontario?

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Isn't he 20? And if so he should be turning pro possibly next season. Maybe splitting time in Ontario?

He can go back for an overage season, which I think he would do. Jones/Neiderberg or other AHL backup in Manchester and Berube full time in Ontario.

northernKing

Jul 15, 2004
He can go back for an overage season, which I think he would do. Jones/Neiderberg or other AHL backup in Manchester and Berube full time in Ontario.

Well most prospects drafted usually leave junior after they turn 20. I guess he could stay but based on what I've read he may be ready for the next step/challenge. IMO him and Berube could be solid tandem in Ontario. Wouldn't surprise me if he actually eventually outplayed Berube

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I read somewhere that the Kings were hoping to place another goalie prospect with the Ontario Reign.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Well most prospects drafted usually leave junior after they turn 20. I guess he could stay but based on what I've read he may be ready for the next step/challenge. IMO him and Berube could be solid tandem in Ontario. Wouldn't surprise me if he actually eventually outplayed Berube

Your right. He could bump up to the E next season but I would rather see him take a very slow and steady approach to the NHL. I feel that we have done a bit of juggling with Jones and JF and while it isn't a bad thing I think that we might have learned a bit about how we want to bring our kids along from the process.

That doesn't mean that putting him in Ont would be bad, only that I would let him play another dominate year as an over ager and then move him to the E where he can cut his teeth. Give him two seasons there and one in MCH then cup O tea with the Kings then move Jones and make him our back up. If everything wen't perfectly that is.

I am a big JFB fan and think he will end up being an NHL caliber goalie and m-a-y-b-e even a starter in time but I also think that Barto is the better of the two.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Your right. He could bump up to the E next season but I would rather see him take a very slow and steady approach to the NHL. I feel that we have done a bit of juggling with Jones and JF and while it isn't a bad thing I think that we might have learned a bit about how we want to bring our kids along from the process.

That doesn't mean that putting him in Ont would be bad, only that I would let him play another dominate year as an over ager and then move him to the E where he can cut his teeth. Give him two seasons there and one in MCH then cup O tea with the Kings then move Jones and make him our back up. If everything wen't perfectly that is.

I am a big JFB fan and think he will end up being an NHL caliber goalie and m-a-y-b-e even a starter in time but I also think that Barto is the better of the two.

This. We have zero need to rush him. Send him back to Red Deer and let him take his time. He can work with his goalie coach there, play under Darrly's brother Brent, and continue to progress. I also am a fan of Berube. A lot of people really underestimate him because they see his numbers and the fact that he's in the ECHL and don't realize the path this kid has taken. Was behind Jake Allen in juniors for a long time and then had to deal with a lot of injuries. He's coming along for sure and it wouldn't shock me in the least to see him in the NHL in the future. The best thing for JF is that he's in an organization that is in no rush to get him to the NHL level.

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
The most glaring forward to slip out of the first round was without a doubt Valentin Zykov.
Far be it from me to say, but if, say, Winnipeg took this kid at #13 I would’ve have said, “Great pick!”
Kings Grade: B+

Difficult to give a team with no first rounder an A

We may not have had a first rounder but we drafted a first rounder, wheres our A :)

SLang

Nov 29, 2005
Huntington Beach, CA
We may not have had a first rounder but we drafted a first rounder, wheres our A :)

Kinda what I'm thinking....shouldn't you be graded on what you did with what you had? Especially since we in essence turned our 2013 first rounder into a Stanley Cup win in the Jeff Carter trade? A+++++++ if you ask me!

Nonetheless, really good article!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad