Post-Game Talk: Thu., Oct. 24, 2013|Rangers 1 at Flyers 2

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Why not try Giroux at wing? He started off as a RW when he first came up with the club and Lecavalier is more of a natural center then Giroux is. Both are sucking at face-offs and neither are anything special defensively so might as well.

Or at least I think Giroux is sucking at face-offs. I checked the stats for Lecavalier but not Giroux admittedly.

He's at 49.3 and he's 2nd in the league in most team % taken. Crosby is #1 and he's at 52%.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Flyers win last night = 50% off today! Promo code FLYERS. *Valid at participating PA, NJ, DE stores. @PapaJohns
Source: Flyers Official Twitter Account @NHLFlyers

I thought it was three goals & a win? :laugh:

Papa Johns even feels bad for us.

Codith

Aug 31, 2010
Defensively I think the team is playing much better, that goes for the forwards too. Offensively the team is still off, and I'm not quite sure why that is. Passes aren't hitting the marks, and until they can move the puck around better in the offensive zone, they really aren't going to be creating many good chances. I think it will come soon, once the team has the defensive side of the system down, the offense will rebound.

Cuiff

Jul 11, 2002
Horsham (Philly)
G needs to be benched a few games. He looked so bad last night. The hooking penalty that he took in the 2nd period (I think) was the perfect example of what I have been seeing out of him. Lazy defensive play and trying to do too much in the offensive zone. He appeared to be holding his new line mates back.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
G needs to be benched a few games. He looked so bad last night. The hooking penalty that he took in the 2nd period (I think) was the perfect example of what I have been seeing out of him. Lazy defensive play and trying to do too much in the offensive zone. He appeared to be holding his new line mates back.

Benching the captain? Not sure that's been done before.

Cuiff

Jul 11, 2002
Horsham (Philly)
Are you kidding? The problem isn't that he's not trying, it's that he's trying too hard and he has no confidence. Benching him would be flat out stupid.

I agree that benching him is too extream (i have already stated that) but letting him continue to play and lead this team with play like that is just as stupid.

Edit: his defensive play is not a result of him trying too hard unless it is because he is trying to cheat offensively

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
If Anything, Giroux needs to stop trying so hard...he gets so much into his own head sometimes that he sikes himself out.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Defensively I think the team is playing much better, that goes for the forwards too. Offensively the team is still off, and I'm not quite sure why that is. Passes aren't hitting the marks, and until they can move the puck around better in the offensive zone, they really aren't going to be creating many good chances. I think it will come soon, once the team has the defensive side of the system down, the offense will rebound.

Like I said, this team would definitely be a contender or close to one if their PP actually got goals.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Benching the captain? Not sure that's been done before.

McCammon send Bobby Clarke on a "vacation" late in the 1984 regular season to get him rested for the playoffs. It was a very controversial move at the time. Not called a benching but in essence that is what it was.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
If Anything, Giroux needs to stop trying so hard...he gets so much into his own head sometimes that he sikes himself out.

Giroux also needs to stop focusing on the two-way game a little bit. I get that he wants to be looked at as a complete forward, but there were way too many times last night where he was the high guy in the offensive zone in more of a defensive mode. He has to start to taking some chances if he wants to get on the board. That's what the best players do at least.

bungle

Casual Observer
Jan 20, 2006
LA
What is wrong with Simmonds? He's never been a player that shows much emotion like a Rinaldo type player but he doesn't look like he even wants to be there right now. Even during that fight last night, it was like he was just going through the motions.

Was hoping that week off was going to shake them up. Most of them look as bad as ever. That Giroux hook was just ridiculous.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
What? Simmonds is one of the most emotional guys in the league. When he missed that penalty shot against Toronto he had a fit on the bench.

I thought Raffl's role on that line was to be the high guy.

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
you can tell this team is still playing really tight. They are better when they are loose. When Hartnell is producing I think his character makes the team better. We need a goofball to get the team to relax.

bungle

Casual Observer
Jan 20, 2006
LA
What? Simmonds is one of the most emotional guys in the league. When he missed that penalty shot against Toronto he had a fit on the bench.

Sure, on the bench, after a goal is scored, etc. But generally he keeps a pretty cool head on the ice. He looked like a zombie last night.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
When the new defensive system becomes more second nature I think we'll see a smoother offense. I'd assume that most players are triple thinking their position just because they aren't 100% sure of their positioning quite yet. After some time, they'll just know and it'll make a more seamless offense

El Emperor

Apr 2, 2010
Woodstown, NJ
As much as I hate to add into the conversation as a pessimist, but I can't see this team improving that much on offense until the house is cleaned. The stink of Lavy's system and coaching is still all over the place. The passing, which quite frankly has always been all over the place is still one of the biggest issues. Unless Berube isn't practicing how to make passes, I can only assume that old habits die hard and this habit is being harder than ever.

2006-07 was one of the best things that happened to players like Mike Richards because they had season to work on their game without pressure. I know I'm beating a dead horse in these boards, but Homer needs to be fired and either Hextall moved into GM role or get someone from the outside. Let them blow up the team enough to make a statement without removing the future core.

The biggest fear I have as a fan is that they begin to score goals again towards the holidays and win enough games getting them back on track, go on the Olympic break and come back and suck again, just in time for Homer to make desperate trades at the deadline.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
The key to the offense is the power play. Score there and players build confidence. They will also start stacking up on the stats once the power play gets on track. They can't keep putting 0's on the board during games with the man advantage. It's a big part of any teams game plan to capitalize on the others teams mistakes. Defensively they have been impressive, but you still see players handling the puck like a grenade some times. Like schenn and Coburn are examples of this. It's coming together slowly, but I want to see a final product before saying this team can't make a run for a playoff spot.

Also that hook on giroux was extremely weak. I was surprised it was even called or seen. Giroux isn't lazy, he will right his ship.

Teezax

Nov 25, 2002
Montreal
What I'd love to see is G's position on Team Canada be threatened, maybe that will light a fire under his ass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad