Through two AHL games for Kari Lehtonen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site
definitely a bust. I mean, c'mon...he should be a solid 84 of 84 on his shots against...seriously...and that goals against average....lol....that's HIDEOUS....

ya....weak sauce if you ask me....

--------------

Anyways, now that that post is out of the way....looks good. I can't wait to see him get some time in Hotlanta....any chances of that happening this year?

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Is the team overall is good ? cuz 42 shots per game against sound like they have pettry bad defence .

#37-#93-#27*

Blatny Spears said:
he's 2-0, having stopped 81 of 84 shots faced (0.964 Sv%) with a 1.44 GAA.

Please discuss.
Not much to discuss. <b>It's only TWO games.</b>

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Blatny Spears said:
he's 2-0, having stopped 81 of 84 shots faced (0.964 Sv%) with a 1.44 GAA.

Please discuss.

Well, Fleury is in the show and Lehtonen is not!.....and Fleury is a year younger. Makes MA's accomplishments that much more impressive!

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
HabLover said:
Well, Fleury is in the show and Lehtonen is not!.....and Fleury is a year younger. Makes MA's accomplishments that much more impressive!

Amazing, I predicted that post before even opening the thread. Some people are so easy to get a read on around here.

Stallion

Jul 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I think you guys are underestimating Lehtonen's abilities. Sure Fleury is doing great but both goalies are not in the same situation. Personally, I think that in the long run, Lehtonen will be the better goalie( in terms of stats) because of the team he plays for. Lehtonen is for sure Atlanta's franchise goalie for many years to come.

Stallion

Jul 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Yes for sure Fleury is an amazing talent and he is Pittsburgh's franchise goalie but I'm saying that Lehtonen will put up better numbers since he's on the better team. In the long run, who knows. But they are both excellent goalies!!

Spiffy

HabLover said:
Or maybe shows which one of Atlanta and Pittsburgh have more goalie depth ;)

-HIFK-

Originally Posted by HabLover

Like Spiffy said, it´s not all about who´s better in this case, Fleury or Lehtonen.

With Nurminen playing like he is, and with Dafoe as his back-up (and Hurme in the picture as well), where would Lehtonen even fit in right now at the Thrashers?

No point in having four goalies in the roster, because I´ve heard you can only play one of them at a time...

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Well Fleury beat out three goalies with NHL experience...
It's not like he was the only goalie worth something...

Spiffy

Evilo said:
Well Fleury beat out three goalies with NHL experience...
It's not like he was the only goalie worth something...
We know but Caron, Aubin and Brochu (is he the third one?) aren't as strong as Hurme, Nurminen and Dafoe even if all three could be backups in this league Atlanta has three guys who all could be decent or even pretty good starters in the NHL ahead of Lehtonen.

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
Spiffy said:
We know but Caron, Aubin and Brochu (is he the third one?) aren't as strong as Hurme, Nurminen and Dafoe even if all three could be backups in this league Atlanta has three guys who all could be decent or even pretty good starters in the NHL ahead of Lehtonen.

Also, it's pretty hard to outplay Nurminen & Dafoe if you're injured like Lehtonen was.

Spiffy

Sampe said:
Also, it's pretty hard to outplay Nurminen & Dafoe if you're injured like Lehtonen was.
Yeah and Nurminen being on a major hot streak.

eh

I listened to yesterdays game on the Wolves' cybercast and Kari was interviewed after the game (am I imagining or has his English improved a lot?) He basically told that the groin still isn't 100% and it hurts after games. When he was asked when he could possibly start playing back-to-back games he replied that the coaches decide on that, but that the groin still needs some rest occasionally.

At least the commentators were impressed with his performance. I think it was a bit strange that he mentioned Pasi Nurminen as a goalie he had looked up to in the previous years. When he told that Pasi is just a bit quicker than himself but he has the size on his side, the interviewer replied "Quicker than you?! Who are you kidding?" I always thought he tried to imitate Patrick Roy: maybe it's a club policy that you have to mention players from the same organization as your idols ;)

He also said that it's more difficult to adjust to the increased amount of shots, not that much to the different angles etc.

Spiffy

eh said:
I listened to yesterdays game on the Wolves' cybercast and Kari was interviewed after the game (am I imagining or has his English improved a lot?)
Kari has watched more simpsons recently probably :D

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Spiffy said:
Oh I know, but the first spot was hardly given to him.

Spiffy

Evilo said:
Oh I know, but the first spot was hardly given to him.
We know... Aubin can play really good at times and Caron looks awesome at times but it isn't really as tough competition as an injured Lehtonen is seeing.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
eh said:
I listened to yesterdays game on the Wolves' cybercast and Kari was interviewed after the game (am I imagining or has his English improved a lot?) He basically told that the groin still isn't 100% and it hurts after games. When he was asked when he could possibly start playing back-to-back games he replied that the coaches decide on that, but that the groin still needs some rest occasionally.

At least the commentators were impressed with his performance. I think it was a bit strange that he mentioned Pasi Nurminen as a goalie he had looked up to in the previous years. When he told that Pasi is just a bit quicker than himself but he has the size on his side, the interviewer replied "Quicker than you?! Who are you kidding?" I always thought he tried to imitate Patrick Roy: maybe it's a club policy that you have to mention players from the same organization as your idols ;)

He also said that it's more difficult to adjust to the increased amount of shots, not that much to the different angles etc.

Pasi and Kari were also in the same club in Finland, Jokerit, where a 15-16 year old Kari would have looked up towards Pasi.. now they're in the same situation..

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Alexei Kovalev said:
Great stats, but as touted as he is, it doesnt surprise me that he is doing so well. He should be playing for Atlanta this year.

Atlanta has too many goalies. They still need to get rid of Byron and Hurme who both could be starters on some other team. Then Kari might get a few games, but I dont think it will happen this year.

People are throwing Fleurys name around, desperately trying to rank him higher than Lehtonen because he happened to make it to NHL this year. Ask yourselves if Lehtonen could have made the penguins roster this year?

Some people have problems tolerating two good goalie prospects...why is it so hard?

eh

Raimo Sillanpää said:
Pasi and Kari were also in the same club in Finland, Jokerit, where a 15-16 year old Kari would have looked up towards Pasi.. now they're in the same situation..

Yes, I know (he was 16-17 back then). I just found it strange because before this interview, I'd never heard him mentioning Nurminen as someone he looked up to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad