Through 32 games...

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Also, this team, last year's team, and I believe both of AV's President's trophy Vancouver teams all have extremely similar starts. This is just the way AV coached teams go for whatever reason. It's a little bit of a heart attack, but you can't really argue with the results.

Merry Christmas everyone.

I noticed this too. For some reason it takes AV's teams awhile to get going but once they do they become a cream of the league.

It's worth noting that prior to this run the Rangers probably played the most difficult competition (in addition to being bit hard by the injury bug). Someone should be able to prove it by comparing the average ranking of our competition to what other teams had faced in the same number of games.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
The problem with KREIDER, IMHO, is that he's become gunshy with the physical aspect of his game as a result of some BS calls. I think he is overthinking things and it has really effected his confidence.

That is a big part of it, he did the same in the AHL after a suspension. He needs to not care about how other's perceive him and worry about his performance and how it affects the team.

It's a maturity or in between the ears issue partly and the rest are just him. This isn't anything new, its been happening since BC. It's who he is. He needs to grow up.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
It's cause he doesn't want to be in the box or ejected suspended or benched. Not cause he needs to "grow up". Refs call him when he's physical. He wants to be on the ice.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Merry Christmas, Snowblind. Can't believe you started this thread.

Merry Christmas. I've started plenty of positive threads. People can't see past the negative posts to see that when it's not the heat of the moment of if Rangers really play well, I have plenty of positive posts.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Felt like the Edmonton home loss was the bottom out, and they took off from there. Yes, they had some stinkers vs Tampa in that stretch, but really playing well now.

It's also nice they have games in hand, and still sit in a playoff spot. Keep the good vibes going these next four games before they head out west for a tough trip. LGR!

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Felt like the Edmonton home loss was the bottom out, and they took off from there. Yes, they had some stinkers vs Tampa in that stretch, but really playing well now.

It's also nice they have games in hand, and still sit in a playoff spot. Keep the good vibes going these next four games before they head out west for a tough trip. LGR!

I'm so glad that Tampa is in the Atlantic. I wouldn't want to play them in a playoff series. At least this way if we play them now it'll be in the ECF.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
It's cause he doesn't want to be in the box or ejected suspended or benched. Not cause he needs to "grow up". Refs call him when he's physical. He wants to be on the ice.

If he really wanted to, he'd just man up and do it. This has been going on for a long long time. It's just what he is.

It's "okay" as long as the teams winning so he isn't "noticeable" but if this team expects to win, they'll need him to step up

And I think he does, but only when he feels the games matter or the spotlight is on him. Think Bill Guerin.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
He's been this way since ejection. There clearly is a stigma around Chris. Please, try to be logical. Kreider gets called. He wants to avoid that. Where did anyone say it's okay? Did I miss something?

Lets not think guerin, let's think Kreider.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
That is a big part of it, he did the same in the AHL after a suspension. He needs to not care about how other's perceive him and worry about his performance and how it affects the team.

It's a maturity or in between the ears issue partly and the rest are just him. This isn't anything new, its been happening since BC. It's who he is. He needs to grow up.

I don't think it has anything to do with fear of being perceived poorly or lack of maturity. The guy is just apprehensive because he doesn't want to go to the box or end up with a fine or suspension. If anything he's probably a little gun-shy.

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY
The problem with KREIDER, IMHO, is that he's become gunshy with the physical aspect of his game as a result of some BS calls. I think he is overthinking things and it has really effected his confidence.

He's been labeled a "reckless player" by morons like Therrien and his ilk and unfortunately it stuck! The idiot officials base calls on reputation.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
He's been labeled a "reckless player" by morons like Therrien and his ilk and unfortunately it stuck! The idiot officials base calls on reputation.

Therrien is a genius, not a moron. It's not his job to build Kreider's confidence up. In fact we were in a playoff series, if anything it was his job to kill his confidence. Kreider needs to a) get over it and b) learn how to be physical without getting ejected. It's not impossible. The alternative to majors and ejections isn't playing soft, at least that's not the only alternative.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Therrien is a genius, not a moron. It's not his job to build Kreider's confidence up. In fact we were in a playoff series, if anything it was his job to kill his confidence. Kreider needs to a) get over it and b) learn how to be physical without getting ejected. It's not impossible. The alternative to majors and ejections isn't playing soft, at least that's not the only alternative.

Therrien is not a genius. He is not a super great coach. Kreider needs to listen to his own coaching staff and not worry about the reputation that is perceived by the league. If it is the NYR coaching staff that is forcing this type of play from Kreider than it is a mistake.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Therrien is not a genius. He is not a super great coach. Kreider needs to listen to his own coaching staff and not worry about the reputation that is perceived by the league. If it is the NYR coaching staff that is forcing this type of play from Kreider than it is a mistake.

I was just looking for what was the opposite of moron, for effect. My point was that Therrien did the smart thing, he took him off his game. Though this year I'm not sure it has to do with Therrien or not. Is it possible for Kreider to be physical but not quite as reckless? The Price thing wasn't avoidable, but that hit against the Minnesota player was. I think there's a middle ground.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Snowblind, I get your point, but Therrien is most certainly NOT a genius...

That team is nowhere near as good as it's record suggests. Affter the top 6 and the 1st D pairing, they are average as hell at their best, and basically Colorado-level at worst... I blame some of that on the roster, but most of it goes on the schemes that Therrien is allowing....

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
To be honest, if Kredier is dictating his play based on what others perceive him as, then maybe he simply isn't as good as we all thought. Having a high mental strength is a must in this league.

Kredier just needs to play how he's know to play, I just hope to god the coaching staff isn't forcing this type of play on him (doubtful that they are anyway).

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I don't think it has anything to do with fear of being perceived poorly or lack of maturity. The guy is just apprehensive because he doesn't want to go to the box or end up with a fine or suspension. If anything he's probably a little gun-shy.

It's one way to look at it, the guy has the physical tools of an Ovechkin or Lucic, but a completely different personality. Quite frankly he just needs a little bit of "don't give a ****" in his game.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
The team seems to be finding it's identity especially with McDonagh playing well and making the adjustment to being captain. it took a bit. The rangers top 4 d man are very good. Klein has had a good season so far. Boyle is a concern, his play has to pickup and he knows it. Hunwick has been steady and moves the puck well. John Moore just hasnt progressed now under two regimes that has done well with making marginal defenseman better.

The forwards are fine right now, except for Tanner Glass who remains one of the most useless players to suit up in recent memory. My only concern is Kreider who seems to be in some kind of vapor lock, taking bad penalties and making bad puck decisions.

Other than that the team has rebounded nicely and although I think they have gotten healthy on some sub par teams , they are winning and thats whats the most important thing !

Merry X mas and Happy Holidays to all the HF crew !

That bolded statement is so significant.

Hunwick has bumped Moore out of the starting line up and quite possibly off this team.

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY

You can't tell me that if Kreider hit like Ovi, he wouldn't get called. That is calling based on reputation and Kreids can't do anything about it. I remember a play, I forget against who, but KREIDER was at the top of the crease and the goalie got his foot
Caught in a rut and went down. Sure enough, 2 min for Kreider. The replay, which, by the way was the refs vantage point, clearly showed Kreider was 3 feet away from him! I think the ******** calls play/played a huge part in what the player has become.

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY
He's been this way since ejection. There clearly is a stigma around Chris. Please, try to be logical. Kreider gets called. He wants to avoid that. Where did anyone say it's okay? Did I miss something?

Lets not think guerin, let's think Kreider.

Thank you! The calls, right or wrong have limited a big part of his game. Its unfortunate because I think Kreider could be a real special player for us.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
My question about Kreider is when is he going to finally realize that, in order to be a successful NHL player, he needs to toe that line and sometimes cross it?

In my opinion, its not about him being wary of that line and unwilling to cross it -- its the need for him to accept that he will cross it once in a while.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Snowblind, I get your point, but Therrien is most certainly NOT a genius...

That team is nowhere near as good as it's record suggests. Affter the top 6 and the 1st D pairing, they are average as hell at their best, and basically Colorado-level at worst... I blame some of that on the roster, but most of it goes on the schemes that Therrien is allowing....

I'm speaking in terms of that specfic incident. Therrien did the right thing, got a young player who was killing his team off his game. But honestly even though I haven't watched much this season it seems it was the Minnesota game. That hit was avoidable in the Minnesota game. The problem unfortunately is he's too big and strong for his own good sometimes. It's really upsetting though what he could be and he has completely neutered himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad