Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
CDPR is set to release a new game on October 23rd for PC and PS4/Xbox One on December 4th. It's an RPG with a Diablo-style camera for exploration and Gwent as the battle mechanic.

Thronebreaker is a single player role-playing game set in the world of The Witcher that combines narrative-driven exploration with unique puzzles and card battle mechanics. Crafted by the developers responsible for some of the most iconic moments in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, the game spins a truly regal tale of Meve, a war-veteran queen of two Northern Realms — Lyria and Rivia. Facing an imminent Nilfgaardian invasion, Meve is forced to once again enter the warpath, and set out on a dark journey of destruction and revenge.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
I'm personally excited for this since I love Gwent, but I'm not sure how much appeal it will have to people that don't. Even still, I'm more looking forward to the fact that Gwent homecoming/ full launch will be released alongside it.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Waiting for Homecoming too. :)

And at this very moment, listening to Fields of Ard Skelling, my favorite song from my favorite game.
Somewhere between chills and tears at the moment. <3

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Not a lot of attention being payed to this game, but it really looks like it is going to be great. Reviews so far are saying that the story is great, especially in how seemingly innocuous decisions can have far reaching effects. Apparently something like 20 different endings. Not on the same level as Witcher 3, but I think there is definitely something to be excited about here.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
This'll be one I wait a bit after release to pick up. I do love me some gwent, but somewhat worried about how deep the gameplay can be for this game. Hopefully, it turns out great - as CDPR is pretty much the most trusted publisher out there right now for a lot of people.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
So I found this while randomly looking through the Playstation Store and bought it for $20. The Witcher 3 is my favorite game and I like the separate Gwent game as well.

The art style and voice acting are incredible. I've only played for a couple of hours though. Probably the only thing I don't like, strangely enough, is the version of Gwent the game uses. It's different from what was in the original game and the standalone Gwent game. I've only done a few battles though so it may improve.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I honestly loved this game. I had a blast all the way through. The story was a ton of fun and you're right, the voice acting and artwork is incredible. It does play a bit differently than the version from The Witcher 3 but I'm sure they had to do it for progression purposes in a full 30 hour campaign.

Reactions: Commander Clueless

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
I honestly loved this game. I had a blast all the way through. The story was a ton of fun and you're right, the voice acting and artwork is incredible. It does play a bit differently than the version from The Witcher 3 but I'm sure they had to do it for progression purposes in a full 30 hour campaign.
It was also mostly a promo for the stand alone Gwent game, which it closely resembled at the time, though the card effects were all different. Too bad it seemed CDPR didn't really seem to take this games release seriously and hardly promoted it, which resulted in it not selling very well. Doesn't seem like they will be doing more of these single player Gwent campaigns, after early discussion about doing several.

It is funny though, despite being a Gwent player, I also found it to be the weakest part of this game. It would have been much more interesting if they had implemented some other kind of turn based combat.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
OK I'm obsessed with this game. Combat was tough in the beginning but I've gotten a lot better now. The story and the voice acting are incredible. This and the Witcher 3 are the only two games I've played where I haven't skipped the voice acting in favor of just reading the dialogue quickly. Constantly being bombarded with different choices and paths is amazing. Just did a random side quest where I chose to help some Nilfgaardian soldiers who were getting attacked by necrophages and after it was done they revealed they were from a province colonized by Nilfgaard and had been pressed into service and then joined my army.

Highly, highly recommend for anyone who likes the Witcher series or just really well done narrative in video games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad