Three word coaching sessions

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
I remember Pouliot taking 1 o-zone penalty that cost us the game in Detroit, but I can't really remember him taking a lot of penalties in general, let alone a lot of o-zone ones.

Perron took them way more frequently and quite often lazy ones away from the play.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I remember Pouliot taking 1 o-zone penalty that cost us the game in Detroit, but I can't really remember him taking a lot of penalties in general, let alone a lot of o-zone ones.

Perron took them way more frequently and quite often lazy ones away from the play.

He takes them relatively frequently - not as much as Perron, but still too many IMO.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He takes them relatively frequently - not as much as Perron, but still too many IMO.

Too many...what does that even mean? How many do you think he took?

I watched every game last season and remember 2-3 at most.
When you consider that he had 14 minor penalties that doesnt exactly suggest its a problem.

Last edited:

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

pouliot has taken 2 in the preseason alone lol, he takes a ton of ozone penalties

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Too many...what does that even mean? How many do you think he took?

I watched every game last season and remember 2-3 at most.
When you consider that he had 14 minor penalties that doesnt exactly suggest its a problem.

If you're going to take a penalty, take it to prevent a goal against, not in the offensive zone when your team has puck control. He definitely takes a few unnecessary ones a year. also, see what CornKicker said.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
If you're going to take a penalty, take it to prevent a goal against, not in the offensive zone when your team has puck control. He definitely takes a few unnecessary ones a year. also, see what CornKicker said.
one of my best friends is a rangers fan and the first thing he said to me when we signed him was "hes a good player and just when you start to really like he takes an o-zone penalty....then another and another and when you need one goal to tie the game, there he is taking another one"

i liken it to hemsky going offside lol

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

It wasn't a problem last year...why would it be a problem this year?
Poulliot did have a bad O-zone penalty earlier in the season....cant recall the exact game but I dont even recall him taking any O-zone penlties after suffering the embarrassment of that penalty.

If he did have a problem in previous years he sure seemed to clean it up last season. He does so many other things to help the team win I dont understand why people trot this out and blow it up.

The other thing to keep in mind here is Pouliots role on the team. As the only reliable solid forechecker in the top 6 his role is to initiate in the O-zone. Its difficult if not next to impossible to do that without taking the occasional penalty. I thought Pouliot played that difficult role to near perfection for most of last season.

To address cornkickers point...pre-season never has been a reliable marker for the regular season.

Case in point...Lander will not be the leading goal scorer on this team.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Because we might actually be in some games this year.

Not following you here at all. It wasn't a problem because the amount of O-zone penalties were not an issue.

All that aside....
He is the only player in the top 6 that knows how to forecheck effectively. The odd penalty is going to happen.

Better to accept that then have him play like a smurf...that would mean he plays like Ebs, Hall, et al.

Don't think that's a good idea at all.

StupidGenius

Apr 1, 2013
Where's that picture of McLellan on the ice with some Oilers players where he's holding up a white board that simply says, "stop being terrible"?

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
pouliot has taken 2 in the preseason alone lol, he takes a ton of ozone penalties

When you exclude the 2 games he took a combined 10 PIM (1 being the bad Detroit game) he had a whopping 18 PIM for the rest of the games. "A ton", what a load of bullexaggeration.

Odd O-zone penalty for a guy who is a typically tenacious player in that half of the rink is OK by me.

Not even like he takes many really.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I couldn't get the link to work from my phone or on my computer - just an FYI, CO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad