Three point System

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
How is it any different? 6 minutes left in the game, if i make it to overtime I still can get 1 point for sure perhaps even 2 if I am good at 4 on 4. That sounds way better then zero points and like the same issue

Mid-season sure. But do you think that at this point where you NEED that three points to catch an opponent that a team wouldn't be trying their darnedest to win in regulation?

But it also rewards more strongly the teams who consistently win in regulation and before the various random rule variations come up to decide a winner.

Put another way elsewhere here:
To me, the important factor is not that 3-2-1-0 points encourages defensive play. What's important is that it does not actively reward such behavior. If you want to be risk averse, you pay the price of forgoing some 3rd points. And if you are a few points behind late in the season, then it pays to be risk-aggressive since you need to make up a lot of points.​

Last edited:

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Mid-season sure. But do you think that at this point where you NEED that three points to catch an opponent that a team wouldn't be trying their darnedest to win in regulation?

But it also rewards more strongly the teams who consistently win in regulation and before the various random rule variations come up to decide a winner.

Put another way elsewhere here:
To me, the important factor is not that 3-2-1-0 points encourages defensive play. What's important is that it does not actively reward such behavior. If you want to be risk averse, you pay the price of forgoing some 3rd points. And if you are a few points behind late in the season, then it pays to be risk-aggressive since you need to make up a lot of points.​

So if we are close in the standings you would want to give up 3 points to the other team instead of worst case 1 in overtime? Sounds like way more risk and coaches don't like risk.
It rewards the top teams in the weakest division the most I would think

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad