Three of top five leagues are owned by one team

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Serie A - Juventus
Bundesliga - Bayern
League 1 - Paris Saint-Germain

Then you have La liga, where it is almost only fight between FC Barcelona or Real Madrid.

Premier League is not so one dimensional. And maybe therefore the most amazing league to watch.

Why? It is only about money?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
As for why...
The CL format and FFP facilitate a team gaining more money than anyone else when they were good at the right moment.
Juventus, Bayern and PSG have money power no other team in their league have.
Real and Barca are the only two with that financial power in Spain.
Only City, Chelsea and United are that rich in EPL. Liverpool have hit the right coach at the right time. Leicester was just a miracle run. Same with Monaco (based on the work of one scout and all coming together at the right time).

Reactions: Savant

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
As for why...
The CL format and FFP facilitate a team gaining more money than anyone else when they were good at the right moment.
Juventus, Bayern and PSG have money power no other team in their league have.
Real and Barca are the only two with that financial power in Spain.
Only City, Chelsea and United are that rich in EPL. Liverpool have hit the right coach at the right time. Leicester was just a miracle run. Same with Monaco (based on the work of one scout and all coming together at the right time).
For the EPL, United is in a class of their own for revenue. Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottenham, and Manchester City are all within a reasonable range of each other. Really, 9 of the top 20 football clubs in the world are in the EPL though. 3 are from Spain (Real Madrid, Barcelona, and Atletico well behind them), 1 from France (PSG) with no other French club close, 3 from Germany with Bayern way above Dortmund and Schalke (who are floundering hard and likely to drop more), and 4 from Italy (Juventus, Inter, Roma, and Milan).

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Revenue doesn't equal spending power.
City has more spending power than United.
I agree that revenue doesn't equal spending power. United is below City because their owner is willing to lose way more money than United is. Really odd that you include Chelsea with United and City though when their spending power is way below those two.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Well because of the graphic I linked. The last 10 winners.
In the EPL, only Leicester is not a big spender (because let me tell you Chelsea is a big spender) among their last 10 winners.
In France, only Monaco (and that's arguable) in the last 8 years.
In Italy, Juve has won 9 straight.
In Spain, Atletico is a big spender, but not the financial powerhouse Real and Barca are. They have only 1 title in the last 10 years, the rest is between the two giants.
In Germany, Bayern has won 8 straight.

Reactions: Cassano

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Well because of the graphic I linked. The last 10 winners.
In the EPL, only Leicester is not a big spender (because let me tell you Chelsea is a big spender) among their last 10 winners.
In France, only Monaco (and that's arguable) in the last 8 years.
In Italy, Juve has won 9 straight.
In Spain, Atletico is a big spender, but not the financial powerhouse Real and Barca are. They have only 1 title in the last 10 years, the rest is between the two giants.
In Germany, Bayern has won 8 straight.
Of course you need to be a big spender to win, the best players cost a lot of money. You need the stars to align to win a title without spending big.

Weren't you arguing in the City decision thread that clubs should be free to spend anything they want? This imbalance only gets worse without FFP, and it's already pretty bad.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
As much as I love the game and I love European soccer as a whole, it really is the only sport where it is highly, HIGHLY unlikely that any team could win the league, let alone compete for the top 4 or even be in contention to win the league, which is the case in other sports.

Seems like most teams are just hoping to produce players that the big teams want to buy so they can make a big profit which will allow them to stay up in their league and that would be a success. Maybe hope that those players that they ultimately sell will help them challenge enough for a Europa League bid.

I was actually just thinking about this during the Leroy Sane transfer talk to Bayern. Basically any top German talent has the hopes of playing for Bayern. I always kinda wondered really how gratifying that could be just linking up with all the other top talent in your country and running through the league on one team. But of course I know there are other factors like money, Champions League glory, general fame and legacy which play into it and it's easy for me to say that sitting on the couch.

Maybe it's just the fact that I am American and grew up with mostly American sports where there is a salary cap in almost all leagues and generally some parody amongst the major sports. Obviously there are generally top level teams and bottom of the barrel teams for long stretches of time, but it would be like if every top American athlete tried to go to one team all the time. Really does kinda take the excitement out of things.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Maybe it's just the fact that I am American and grew up with mostly American sports where there is a salary cap in almost all leagues and generally some parody amongst the major sports.
There didn't used to be parody amongst the major North American aports... but there's no question that there's parody now.

More parody than ever before, I'd say.;)

Reactions: N o o d l e s

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The most ridiculously top heavy league in the world regardless of overall strength would have to be Scotland: No club besides Celtic or R*****s has won the league since Fergie's Aberdeen side did it in 1985. If you think about it as great as what he accomplished at Old Trafford was his greatest accomplishment is arguably winning 3 league titles with Aberdeen and beating Barca to win a Cup Winners Cup.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
This plays big role why La Liga and PL two best leagues by considerable margin.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Of course you need to be a big spender to win, the best players cost a lot of money. You need the stars to align to win a title without spending big.

Weren't you arguing in the City decision thread that clubs should be free to spend anything they want? This imbalance only gets worse without FFP, and it's already pretty bad.
I was arguing the FFP was there to maintain the same teams at the top. Which this graphic totally shows.
If it was for me, I'd go for a semi-close league with full salary cap and all.
But if not, then a guy should be able to buy any team he wants and invest anything he wants. Be in in Croatia, England or San Marino. To forbid him to do so is absolutely disgusting and a clear breach of european rules.
FFP is doing just that : forbidding teams to challenge rapidly. What the big clubs want in fact.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
As much as I love the game and I love European soccer as a whole, it really is the only sport where it is highly, HIGHLY unlikely that any team could win the league, let alone compete for the top 4 or even be in contention to win the league, which is the case in other sports.

Seems like most teams are just hoping to produce players that the big teams want to buy so they can make a big profit which will allow them to stay up in their league and that would be a success. Maybe hope that those players that they ultimately sell will help them challenge enough for a Europa League bid.

I was actually just thinking about this during the Leroy Sane transfer talk to Bayern. Basically any top German talent has the hopes of playing for Bayern. I always kinda wondered really how gratifying that could be just linking up with all the other top talent in your country and running through the league on one team. But of course I know there are other factors like money, Champions League glory, general fame and legacy which play into it and it's easy for me to say that sitting on the couch.

Maybe it's just the fact that I am American and grew up with mostly American sports where there is a salary cap in almost all leagues and generally some parody amongst the major sports. Obviously there are generally top level teams and bottom of the barrel teams for long stretches of time, but it would be like if every top American athlete tried to go to one team all the time. Really does kinda take the excitement out of things.
Yes, as I said before, the NA way is very leftist. Any team can win at some point.
In Europe it's free market frenzy. Which means the richest teams have all the best players at some point. Worse than that, the FFP reinforces the notion that you CAN'T join that club even when you have loads of money.

Reactions: Cassano

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I agree that revenue doesn't equal spending power. United is below City because their owner is willing to lose way more money than United is. Really odd that you include Chelsea with United and City though when their spending power is way below those two.
Most owners are willing to lose more money than the Glazers tbf

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Yes, as I said before, the NA way is very leftist. Any team can win at some point.
In Europe it's free market frenzy. Which means the richest teams have all the best players at some point. Worse than that, the FFP reinforces the notion that you CAN'T join that club even when you have loads of money.

I agree with this but also it has to do with players as well. At the end of the day they all could join up anywhere and make it work salary wise. It just doesn't seem to happen as much. Plus players will stay with a team and actively recruit others there. Soccer doesn't seem that way.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
The real question is why exatcly is it happening now since only about 10 years?

Serie A was always a very competitive league and the Bundesliga used to have many different champions as well. Even In Spain you had a time when Valencia and Deportivo La Coruna won 3 titles in a 5 years span. France apart from the Lyon streak also was mostly competitive. Even Holland is more competitive now that's saying a lot and had 5 different winners in the last 12 years. For me I have absolutely no interest in following Serie A, Bundesliga La LIGA and Ligue 1 these days. Even EPL I choose my games, this state of affairs is a complete disaster for the game.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
So you're calling Bayern and co a cartel?

Yeah there is some truth to that :sarcasm:

FC Bayern is to 75 % a social organization run by its members, which anyone can become, and to 25 % a PR investment of its commercial partners. Any controversies tend to be related to commercialization, not competition between social organizations.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Bayern benefits from that uncontrolled capitalism big time.
Uncontrolled not so much because they were in the driver seat when it came to the new CL format and FFP.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
The real question is why exatcly is it happening now since only about 10 years?

Serie A was always a very competitive league and the Bundesliga used to have many different champions as well. Even In Spain you had a time when Valencia and Deportivo La Coruna won 3 titles in a 5 years span. France apart from the Lyon streak also was mostly competitive. Even Holland is more competitive now that's saying a lot and had 5 different winners in the last 12 years. For me I have absolutely no interest in following Serie A, Bundesliga La LIGA and Ligue 1 these days. Even EPL I choose my games, this state of affairs is a complete disaster for the game.
As said before :
1/ CL format
2/ FFP

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I agree with this but also it has to do with players as well. At the end of the day they all could join up anywhere and make it work salary wise. It just doesn't seem to happen as much. Plus players will stay with a team and actively recruit others there. Soccer doesn't seem that way.
That's really more of a thing in NBA, since rosters are small and it's just a soft cap, so teams and players have a lot more flexibility to build those super teams on the fly. In the others sports, you'll have players that want to team up, but it's not on a grand scale and it doesn't really work out all the time. Suter and Parise going to Minnesota for example.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
It’s becoming like this in most European leagues, it’s even worse in the smaller ones. Only Euro leagues off the top of my head with a legit variety of champions are the likes of Sweden (six different winners since 2010) and Turkey has had five but four of them are Istanbul clubs

Most EE leagues you can name the champions before season starts

With FFP it will be more difficult in the bigger leagues, look what happened to Malaga, though their owner put on massive debts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad