TV: Three Body (Tencent)

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Anyone else watching this?

It's a damn near 1:1 faithful adaption of the book (so far. I'm only on Ep 6). I'm not going to pretend to know anything about any of the actors in the series, but they all play their respective roles from the novel incredibly well, ESPECIALLY the actor who plays Shi Qiang. Considering how loved the character is, I am dreading what the Netflix adaption is going to do with the character.

Aside from the great writing, acting, and faithful adaption of the source material, I have to applaud the creators for making science somehow scary AF. It's nigh impossible to talk about the plot surrounding the science without going into massive spoiler territory. But the science plot is used as a lovecraftian-esque horror.

The entire series (thus far) is subbed and on youtube. Go check it out if you like the books or are looking for a new Sci-fi series to watch.

Reactions: barriers

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Loved the books. Didn't realise the episodes were up on YouTube and I will check them out. Thanks!

Anyone else watching this?

It's a damn near 1:1 faithful adaption of the book (so far. I'm only on Ep 6). I'm not going to pretend to know anything about any of the actors in the series, but they all play their respective roles from the novel incredibly well, ESPECIALLY the actor who plays Shi Qiang. Considering how loved the character is, I am dreading what the Netflix adaption is going to do with the character.

Aside from the great writing, acting, and faithful adaption of the source material, I have to applaud the creators for making science somehow scary AF. It's nigh impossible to talk about the plot surrounding the science without going into massive spoiler territory. But the science plot is used as a lovecraftian-esque horror.

The entire series (thus far) is subbed and on youtube. Go check it out if you like the books or are looking for a new Sci-fi series to watch.

Glad to hear but I've read that they completely neutered Ye Wenjie's motivations by watering down anything negative regarding the Cultural Revolution.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Loved the books. Didn't realise the episodes were up on YouTube and I will check them out. Thanks!

Glad to hear but I've read that they completely neutered Ye Wenjie's motivations by watering down anything negative regarding the Cultural Revolution.
Its there, but you're right that it's super watered down. China has done it's best to distance itself from that point in their history.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
According to Wiki, there is also Netflix serie comming:
An American TV series based on the book has been ordered by Netflix, with David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, and Alexander Woo set to write and executive produce.[57] The Netflix adaptation began production on 1 November 2021, with a scheduled finish date in August 2022.[58] The release date is in 2023

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
An American TV series based on the book has been ordered by Netflix, with David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, and Alexander Woo set to write and executive produce.[57] The Netflix adaptation began production on 1 November 2021, with a scheduled finish date in August 2022.[58] The release date is in 2023

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I'm not overly excited about the Netflix version. First off it's D&D, who, even with the source material, f***ed up large parts of several plots (Dorne, Iron Isles, et cetera). Secondly, it's an incredibly complicated story that involves a ton of science and a lot of subtle mystery. I'm not sure American audiences can stomach those two things, which makes me think they will dumb it down, American style.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I loved the books, but yeah, not expecting much from either adaptation. Will give them a watch just because of the complexity of visualizing certain concepts is intriguing enough but I expect to stop watching. Neither film industry - Chinese or American - has ever shown a capacity to tell these kinds of stories properly, especially now.

It's quite bleak so I'm expecting the Netflix to be dumbed down and needlessly optimistic as well.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I loved the books, but yeah, not expecting much from either adaptation. Will give them a watch just because of the complexity of visualizing certain concepts is intriguing enough but I expect to stop watching. Neither film industry - Chinese or American - has ever shown a capacity to tell these kinds of stories properly, especially now.

It's quite bleak so I'm expecting the Netflix to be dumbed down and needlessly optimistic as well.
Tencent's version is an almost 1:1 adaption. Only some minor changes have been made, like the aforementioned stuff on the cultural revolution (though not that much). And the addition of some characters to flesh out the story, none of which however change anything that happens in the book.

Reactions: Oneiro

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
I'll be judging these adaptations solely based on how gory the Judgement day sequence is

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
One thing I've noticed is the censorship of some extremely odd things.

Official paper work that character will sometimes read is blurred out

In the subs, countries outside of China are described as letters (i.e. Country A, B, C, even though the countries will be depicted by a map or uniform or symbol on screen).

I'm sure it's explained somewhere, but probably only in Chinese, but I would love to know why these specific things are censored.

cave troll

Oct 9, 2013
Croatia
I binge watched it in last week since I'm a big fan of the books.

IMO: 7.5/10
Almost a faithful adaptation but some things are changed so there can be a big reveal in last few episodes.
I can't give an 8 cause the series pacing is much slower (with many useless hours) than in the books and for the censorship of the cultural revolution. Ye Wenjie reasons for sending the message back in TV series is dumbed down the point of stupidity while in the books where her father is brutally killed by the government is perfectly clear why she lost the faith in humanity in those times.
But I respect the whole effort in this series.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
I binge watched it in last week since I'm a big fan of the books.

IMO: 7.5/10
Almost a faithful adaptation but some things are changed so there can be a big reveal in last few episodes.
I can't give an 8 cause the series pacing is much slower (with many useless hours) than in the books and for the censorship of the cultural revolution. Ye Wenjie reasons for sending the message back in TV series is dumbed down the point of stupidity while in the books where her father is brutally killed by the government is perfectly clear why she lost the faith in humanity in those times.
But I respect the whole effort in this series.
Where it ends, comparing to book trilogy?

cave troll

Oct 9, 2013
Croatia
Ans also..
What I found seriously lacking in this TV series is that feeling of impending doom that grows in the book as it progresses til the end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad