Threats in the NHL

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
With all the hype over the Kadri hit on Sedin and the Western media claiming Eastern bias, I'm confused why Gudbranson wasn't suspended for his documented "Martin is Dead" comment ( http://slam.canoe.com/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Toronto/2016/11/05/22680513.html?cid=rsssportsslam!%20hockey )Last season Kadri received the maximum fine for a throat slash gesture on Mark Giordano in Calgary.( http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...ames-fined-suspension-lou-lamoriello-kypreos/ )
And Kadri himself was suspended last season so it's not like the NHL is shy to suspend Leaf players ( https://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2016/04/04/maple-leafs-centre-nazem-kadri-suspended-four-games-by-nhl.html )

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I know we live in an ultra politically correct world now, but saying "you're dead" probably gets said 10 times a game.

What he shouldn't have done is said it while walking past reporters. He's an idiot, but nothing worth a fine or suspension.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I know we live in an ultra politically correct world now, but saying "you're dead" probably gets said 10 times a game.

What he shouldn't have done is said it while walking past reporters. He's an idiot, but nothing worth a fine or suspension.

Why is a throat slash gesture a max fine but a verbal threat gets nothing?
It does make me wonder if it had to do with a certain player's ethnicity.
But Eastern bias...?

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
But Eastern bias...?

Yes, Kadri was fined because he's not white. Congrats. You figured it out. Just think of all those times every other non white player got fined/suspended. It's all clearer now. What a horrific league we play in.

The real difference? One was heard by a reporter. One was seen on national tv.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
But Eastern bias...?

Milan Lucic did the same thing and got nothing.

Get your "eastern bias"/race baiting stuff out of here.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
this just in nhl suspensions and punishments make no sense. In other news, it's ideal for dogs to pee outside of your homes and not on the good carpet. more to come at 11.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Yes, Kadri was fined because he's not white. Congrats. You figured it out. Just think of all those times every other non white player got fined/suspended. It's all clearer now. What a horrific league we play in.

The real difference? One was heard by a reporter. One was seen on national tv.

Being heard by a freporter should be enough. Gudbranson was asked about it by the NHl and warned and did not deny it.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
I'm assuming that the NHL is just waiting for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police to finish their investigation.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Being heard by a freporter should be enough. Gudbranson was asked about it by the NHl and warned and did not deny it.

So he was warned then? Good. End of story. Still, one was seen by families across the country one was heard by an adult writer. The difference is still very clear.

My real exception is your ridiculous race theory. You should know better. The NHL protects its players from this stuff, not uses it. Remember the Simmonds incident?

You have some kind of agenda, whatever it is.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
With all the hype over the Kadri hit on Sedin and the Western media claiming Eastern bias, I'm confused why Gudbranson wasn't suspended for his documented "Martin is Dead" comment ( http://slam.canoe.com/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Toronto/2016/11/05/22680513.html?cid=rsssportsslam!%20hockey )Last season Kadri received the maximum fine for a throat slash gesture on Mark Giordano in Calgary.( http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...ames-fined-suspension-lou-lamoriello-kypreos/ )
And Kadri himself was suspended last season so it's not like the NHL is shy to suspend Leaf players ( https://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2016/04/04/maple-leafs-centre-nazem-kadri-suspended-four-games-by-nhl.html )

**** gets said impulsively on the ice all the time.

Kadri should have had his hand no more than half-way across his throat before he realized 'wow, this is a terrible ****ing idea'.

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
It's not at all.

It's not clear as to why something fans can visually see, and makes the entire league look bad, is worthy of a suspension, over something said verbally that fans can't hear with their own ears?

Stop playing the victim. No one mentioned Kadris race but you, let it go man. Threats are made on the ice all game long every game. Throat slashing gestures are punished in ALL sports.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
So he was warned then? Good. End of story. Still, one was seen by families across the country one was heard by an adult writer. The difference is still very clear.

My real exception is your ridiculous race theory. You should know better. The NHL protects its players from this stuff, not uses it. Remember the Simmonds incident?

You have some kind of agenda, whatever it is.

It's not ridiculous. A Muslim player doing the throat slash gesture was treated more seriously than a white player verbally doing the same thing.

But the Leafs is biased towards the Leafs..?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
**** gets said impulsively on the ice all the time.

Kadri should have had his hand no more than half-way across his throat before he realized 'wow, this is a terrible ****ing idea'.

Why is a visual throat worse than a verbal one?
Sorry I'm not getting this.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
It's not clear as to why something fans can visually see, and makes the entire league look bad, is worthy of a suspension, over something said verbally that fans can't hear with their own ears?

Stop playing the victim. No one mentioned Kadris race but you, let it go man. Threats are made on the ice all game long every game. Throat slashing gestures are punished in ALL sports.

Verbal death threats need to be punished.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad