Post-Game Talk: thread to discuss whatever the **** we just watched

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Probably recency bias. People *****ed at Babcock's lines every night. Toronto fans complain his lines constantly too.

Babcock set some stupid lines, but he got results, so you tolerated it.

Blashill sets stupid lines AND loses. So yeah, it's going to annoy us more.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Agreed. Deadly recipe. Wished there was no reason to be annoyed by him right now, but it is as it is.
Nature of sports is all about results. The better those are, the more you tend to tolerate.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England

Yeah, I don't remember at all the endless complaints about the favouring of vets over youngsters, the anaemic PP, the leaky PK, the grinders in the top 6, the boring defence first style of play, the constant 1st round exits (Babcock was outcoached!) or the mediocre regular season results. All the fans who endlessly complained that they couldn't wait for Babcock to be gone and Blashill to come and play a more exiting brand of hockey were just a figment of my imagination!

But Babcock still had late-prime Datsyuk and Zetterberg, a healthy Kronwall and Franzen. A top-3 coach with a more talented team scraping into the playoffs in 8th spot on the last day of the season every year.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
...I don't see a lot of trade opportunities out there, so I think we are stuck pretty much with the team we have for this season.

I suggest everyone try to read and watch any possible video of the prospects for this upcoming draft class.

Great advice. I really am going to try and learn more about the 2017 class. For one the Wings stink and having subjects more real than the impossible firing of Holland or Blashill to discuss is refreshing. Second of all this forum is HOCKEY'S FUTURE! I think some forget that is "supposed" to be the underlying focus of this message board. See you in the draft thread! ;)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah, I don't remember at all the endless complaints about the favouring of vets over youngsters, the anaemic PP, the leaky PK, the grinders in the top 6, the boring defence first style of play, the constant 1st round exits (Babcock was outcoached!) or the mediocre regular season results. All the fans who endlessly complained that they couldn't wait for Babcock to be gone and Blashill to come and play a more exiting brand of hockey were just a figment of my imagination!

But Babcock still had late-prime Datsyuk and Zetterberg, a healthy Kronwall and Franzen. A top-3 coach with a more talented team scraping into the playoffs in 8th spot on the last day of the season every year.

And despite everything you said... everyone on here regarded him as one of the best, if not the best coach in the league on a regular basis. Even with those frustrations.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Happy news- Sproul and Ericsson are back in! It would have sounded preposterous to claim a year ago but the Wings are not the same team without Big Rig. This season he's been by far our 3rd best defender.

Please may Sproul have an above average game so we never have to watch Lashoff with the Wings again. :yo:

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

Ehhhhh.

Like, that's the thing. With a worse roster, Blashill achieved comparable results to Babcock in his last two years here. Now that the roster is substantially worse, it's about where it should be.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Ehhhhh.

Like, that's the thing. With a worse roster, Blashill achieved comparable results to Babcock in his last two years here. Now that the roster is substantially worse, it's about where it should be.

He got a team with a defense of Kronwall, Kindl, Smith, Ericsson, Quincey, Colaiacovo, past the #2 seed Ducks in the playoffs, and to 7 games with #1 seed Chicago.

He got a team without Datsyuk and Zetterberg,and with David Legwand as his #1 center into the playoffs.

Yes, he absolutely without a doubt got results here.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Babcock is a future HoF coach.

Blashill is not.

Right now Blashill is not looking like a coach you want to have going forward, but he is not the primary problem I have with this roster. I would let Blashill finish the season here, then get a replacement once the off-season hits. Someone who can better develop our core going forward.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Babcock is a future HoF coach.

Blashill is not.

Right now Blashill is not looking like a coach you want to have going forward, but he is not the primary problem I have with this roster. I would let Blashill finish the season here, then get a replacement once the off-season hits. Someone who can better develop our core going forward.
I'm with you 100%. Just as soon as Detroit finds a core TO develop.

I mean, Larkin still could be the Robin to the right Batman at center, and Mantha looks like he could be a really good winger in time, but if Cholo in 5 years is the next chance this franchise is going to have at landing a legit top pairing defenseman, then I don't know that the crossbreed of Scotty Bowman and Al Arbor could get it done here.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Indeed. This sure isn't the 1998 Detroit Red Wings anymore. I guess it had to come to end sometime, right? I mean isn't this what the NHL wanted? Parity?

Despite Wings being bad, they are tied in points with TBL and only 5 points out of contention. I don't think it gets more parity than that, folks.

I guess the run can't go on forever, especially after the NHL/Bettman stack the deck to make sure teams like Detroit fans suffer, while ownership is still making billions.

Should Bettman make it so middling teams lose massive financial gain for owners who are just trying to bank it in? I feel like ownership has 'cruise control' set and are only interested in cashing checks from living off the waves of past success.

Everyone keeps blaming Ken Holland, but the true villain here is Mike Ilitch and company. The Ilitch family demand Ken Holland to manage the team this way, and if he doesn't, they will find someone else who will.

To the people who really truly believe this is Ken Holland's fault, then riddle me this. Why does he still have a job? The Ilitch family ARE NOT afraid to fire GMs. Look back to no further to Dave Dombrowski.

So if Ilitch's don't want the franchise to make billions, want Ken Holland to sink the team for picks (and HUGE massive financial loss from ticket sales), then why does he still have a job?

One reason, because Ken Holland is running the team exactly like he is instructed to do. Blame ownership.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Indeed. This sure isn't the 1998 Detroit Red Wings anymore. I guess it had to come to end sometime, right? I mean isn't this what the NHL wanted? Parity?

Despite Wings being bad, they are tied in points with TBL and only 5 points out of contention. I don't think it gets more parity than that, folks.

I guess the run can't go on forever, especially after the NHL/Bettman stack the deck to make sure teams like Detroit fans suffer, while ownership is still making billions.

Should Bettman make it so middling teams lose massive financial gain for owners who are just trying to bank it in? I feel like ownership has 'cruise control' set and are only interested in cashing checks from living off the waves of past success.

Everyone keeps blaming Ken Holland, but the true villain here is Mike Ilitch and company. The Ilitch family demand Ken Holland to manage the team this way, and if he doesn't, they will find someone else who will.

To the people who really truly believe this is Ken Holland's fault, then riddle me this. Why does he still have a job? The Ilitch family ARE NOT afraid to fire GMs. Look back to no further to Dave Dombrowski.

So if Ilitch's don't want the franchise to make billions, want Ken Holland to sink the team for picks (and HUGE massive financial loss from ticket sales), then why does he still have a job?

One reason, because Ken Holland is running the team exactly like he is instructed to do. Blame ownership.

Blame ownership for telling Ken Holland to win? Sounds like dumb idea.

InGusWeTrust

hockey.tk
May 6, 2009
Michigan
hockey.tk

Personally I believe that there is much more pressure on the Tigers. Mike Illitch has stated that he would trade all of his cup rings for 1 world series ring. He was drafted by the Tigers but suffered an injury that would not let him play baseball any longer. I think to them given how much success they have had with the Wings that they are just kind of there in the shadows. There won't be any changes until its bad because of our track record even though we all want them. Mike is only getting older. So you could blame ownership still, but someone somewhere important needs to do something. Just making the playoffs is no longer good enough.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Dotter, I wonder how different our management philosophy would be if

1) The Streak came to an end last year
2) We weren't moving into a shiny new barn

I think both of these are having a disproportionate impact on how this team is being run. Hopefully once it becomes apparent that (1) is happening this year, they'll realise the best way to market (2) is to have a nice shiny lottery pick to hype in our nice shiny new stadium

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Personally I believe that there is much more pressure on the Tigers. Mike Illitch has stated that he would trade all of his cup rings for 1 world series ring. He was drafted by the Tigers but suffered an injury that would not let him play baseball any longer. I think to them given how much success they have had with the Wings that they are just kind of there in the shadows. There won't be any changes until its bad because of our track record even though we all want them. Mike is only getting older. So you could blame ownership still, but someone somewhere important needs to do something. Just making the playoffs is no longer good enough.

Iltich family are treating the DRWs as their cash cow. I don't think they have any interest in having it dry up for a 5 to 7 years to tank/rebuild until it makes financial sense to do so.

Have auto-pilot set is making them billions. What incentive do they have to throw that all away?

I just can't blame Ken Holland for doing what is asked of him. Maybe the point is by the HF blamers is to say he should be the bigger man and publicly protest against the Ilitch family and tank anyhow, or leave his job. I don't know..

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Iltich family are treating the DRWs as their cash cow. I don't think they have any interest in having it dry up for a 5 to 7 years to tank/rebuild until it makes financial sense to do so.

Have auto-pilot set is making them billions. What incentive do they have to throw that all away?

I just can't blame Ken Holland for doing what is asked of him. Maybe the point is by the HF blamers is to say he should be the bigger man and publicly protest against the Ilitch family and tank anyhow, or leave his job. I don't know..

I thought what was being asked of him was to continue the streak and make playoff revenue? (based on the consensus of the people that assume they know what the owners/front office are saying)

Well then how come we are at the bottom of our conference, and dead last in the East in Regulation Wins?

That would seem to me that he is not doing what is asked of him, or that he is failing to do so.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I thought what was being asked of him was to continue the streak and make playoff revenue? (based on the consensus of the people that assume they know what the owners/front office are saying)

Well then how come we are at the bottom of our conference, and dead last in the East in Regulation Wins?

That would seem to me that he is not doing what is asked of him, or that he is failing to do so.

He's never missed the playoffs the past 25 yrs. How is that failing?

Are you saying because the DRWs are not even half way through the season and are only 5 points out of a playoff spot, then it's time for ownership to fire him for "failing" to make the playoffs?

I'm not following.

And for the people who are "assuming" what ownership is saying are "assuming" it because actions speak louder than words. The actions displayed by ownership is they are completely happy making the playoffs and they seem happy to sell out tickets every night, and are happy to be cashing those big checks. The same ownership proved he wasn't happy with the Tigers fired his long running GM. That tells us Mr I. isn't afraid of firing when he's not happy with results. Ken Holland's results seems to be making ownership happy, as proven with sellout ticket sales.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

While I place blame at the feet of the entire front office, including ownership, it's not like Mike Illitch is stepping in front of the camera on a daily basis. Part of Ken Holland's job is to be the face of the franchise for personnel decisions and front office moves in general.

But they all suck, if that's what you're asking. :D

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
He's never missed the playoffs the past 25 yrs. How is that failing?

Are you saying because the DRWs are not even half way through the season and are only 5 points out of a playoff spot, then it's time for ownership to fire him for "failing" to make the playoffs?

I'm not following.

And for the people who are "assuming" what ownership is saying are "assuming" it because actions speak louder than words. The actions displayed by ownership is they are completely happy making the playoffs and they seem happy to sell out tickets every night, and are happy to be cashing those big checks. The same ownership proved he wasn't happy with the Tigers fired his long running GM. That tells us Mr I. isn't afraid of firing when he's not happy with results. Ken Holland's results seems to be making ownership happy, as proven with sellout ticket sales.

Yea, for all anybody knows, the Illitch's have given Holland the keys to the kingdom, keep the boat afloat, so to speak, while they are more focused and hands on with the Tigers.

Last edited:

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
While I place blame at the feet of the entire front office, including ownership, it's not like Mike Illitch is stepping in front of the camera on a daily basis. Part of Ken Holland's job is to be the face of the franchise for personnel decisions and front office moves in general.

But they all suck, if that's what you're asking. :D

He doesn't have time, he's too busy cashing all those big checks DRW fans are throwing at him on a nightly basis :laugh:

Should he start refusing to take those big checks so he can get on camera to tell us how dissatisfied he is with the way the team is being run and to beg fans to please stop writing checks to him? Why not just fire HFboards public enemy no.1 and stop accepting those checks? That seems so easy to us, right?

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Trashill is not the problem but he is a problem. Imagine the wings with draper getting top 6 min with McCarty because McCarty scored a hat trick that one playoff game. Imagine Federov sitting for Dave Barr because he was a veteran. mismanaging talent is a bog problem.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
He doesn't have time, he's too busy cashing all those big checks DRW fans are throwing at him on a nightly basis :laugh:

Should he start refusing to take those big checks so he can get on camera to tell us how dissatisfied he is with the way the team is being run and to beg fans to please stop writing checks to him? Why not just fire HFboards public enemy no.1 and stop accepting those checks? That seems so easy to us, right?
As I said before, he's perfectly entitled to run things as he prefers.

But that opens him up for me to say that all he cares about is the money, and that I refuse to support the team until either there's some accountability or new ownership (or I give up on the team altogether).

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Yeah babcock's lines were infuriating but he certainly was a great coach. I am glad he is no longer here to cover up this trash heap of a roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad