MDZ Honka
Hamhuis Lindell

Bishop
Lehtonen

Last edited:

Morry83

14-90-91
Mar 16, 2013
I wouldn't do the Fowler trade, personally. That's not enough for Eberle. Eakin isn't a cap dump.

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
Overpay on Fowler. Probably under on Eberle. Way under selling Eakin. Doubt Eaves signs for that little and not sure MDZ is worth that.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
I would make the Fowler trade, he's the type of piece the Stars need on the back end now and you're likely going to have to give up the pick because Anaheim can protect him.

While it has been said the Oilers want to get Eberle's salary off the books, I don't think that offer will beat some of the others they have, especially with a portion of Eberle's salary retained. I think if it's going to be McKenzie, it would have to be the Anaheim pick with him.

Your Eakin trade doesn't really do anything for me, unless it comes with an agreement to also take one of the goalies' salaries or to not select some piece the Stars want to keep. I'm not enamored with Eakin, but I agree his value isn't negative at this point.

The free agent signings seem fairly realistic.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
Overpay on Fowler. Probably under on Eberle. Way under selling Eakin. Doubt Eaves signs for that little and not sure MDZ is worth that.

Whatever money we give Eaves is money we might as well flush down the toilet. Love the guy but he can't stay healthy. I don't get why Del Zotto's name keeps getting brought up. He's mediocre at best.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Whatever money we give Eaves is money we might as well flush down the toilet. Love the guy but he can't stay healthy. I don't get why Del Zotto's name keeps getting brought up. He's mediocre at best.

Yeah I'm not the biggest fan of mdz, he's not terrible but he's not great. Smith would be great depending on the cost

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I don't see buying "best available in a mediocre UFA class of D" as a solution to our D problems. Need a really good vet D near his prime, a la, no Seabrooks. They said obtaining a No. 1 center via trade was impossible, but Nill pulled it off. Time for similar magic at the No. 1 LHD position!

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I don't see buying "best available in a mediocre UFA class of D" as a solution to our D problems. Need a really good vet D near his prime, a la, no Seabrooks. They said obtaining a No. 1 center via trade was impossible, but Nill pulled it off. Time for similar magic at the No. 1 LHD position!

This discussion is tough.

It's tough because I have no idea how to evaluate the guys the Stars have. I mean, if you do nothing but go by what we saw, you'd say most of them suck and need to be replaced, but it can't be that simple. How much did coaching, or lack thereof, factor in? Pretty much every d-man only got worse the longer he was coached by Ruff/Patrick.

As bad as the defense was last season, Nill can't afford to do nothing. He can't make this a third offseason of hoping Nemeth and Oleksiak become quality every day NHLers. That is unless Nill has decided they would have been that with better coaching, which of course makes you ask why the **** those guys weren't fired sooner if that really is Nill's conclusion.

No one wants to overpay for an average d-man, but I also don't want Nill to roll out a plethora of below average d-men all because of some wishful thinking that maybe this is the season they finally figure it out.

Timani

This discussion is tough.

It's tough because I have no idea how to evaluate the guys the Stars have. I mean, if you do nothing but go by what we saw, you'd say most of them suck and need to be replaced, but it can't be that simple. How much did coaching, or lack thereof, factor in? Pretty much every d-man only got worse the longer he was coached by Ruff/Patrick.

As bad as the defense was last season, Nill can't afford to do nothing. He can't make this a third offseason of hoping Nemeth and Oleksiak become quality every day NHLers. That is unless Nill has decided they would have been that with better coaching, which of course makes you ask why the **** those guys weren't fired sooner if that really is Nill's conclusion.

No one wants to overpay for an average d-man, but I also don't want Nill to roll out a plethora of below average d-men all because of some wishful thinking that maybe this is the season they finally figure it out.

Good points.

I have no idea if any of our guys can actually be good players or not, and I'd include Johns in there. I think he can, and maybe Nill does too, but Dallas cannot go into the season relying on that hope. They have to do something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad