Thoughts on Woodcroft as Oilers HC in 2019/2020?

Discussion in 'Edmonton Oilers' started by Hopelesslucicfan, Feb 9, 2019.

?

Would you be okay with woodcroft being the head coach?

1. Give him a shot

14.6%
  2. Not a chance

85.4%
  1. CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep Registered User

It can. Although quite a few incredible coaches in the league came from the AHL.

Heck he will probably stay in the AHL until a team wants him as head. He was an assistant for years and never once mentioned in head coach discussions. This is a better path to head coach for him.

Aerchon and rboomercat90 like this.
  2. Hopelesslucicfan

Hopelesslucicfan Larsson fanclub 2016

I can agree with this. This is definitely the first time he's getting recognition for being more than just Todd's assistant as far as I know.

snipes likes this.
  3. CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep Registered User

Plus he is being successful on his own and proving that he has worth. I can see him staying for 3+ years or until a team wants him for NHL head coach.

What'll probably happen is we get another coach they will coach us until they overstay their welcome and Woodcroft will take over.

4. Mr Tadakichi

Mr Tadakichi Never Reads OP Before Posting

He was banished to the shadow realm.

5. Hopelesslucicfan

Hopelesslucicfan Larsson fanclub 2016

I also forgot how young he still is. 43 seems pretty young for an NHL coach now that I think about it.

CycloneSweep likes this.
  6. Dohilers

Dohilers Registered User

I expect he'll be an NHL head coach at some point in the next couple of years, and likely a pretty good one, but fans have way too much animosity towards the organization for their lateral movements over the past decade. Unless the Condors win the Calder Cup, naming Woodcroft as the next Oilers head coach would be a PR nightmare.

7. Lay Z Boy GM

Lay Z Boy GM Registered User

I love what he’s doing but it’s still too early imo. Even if the Condors won a championship I might still be saying that.

He’s a young coach so it’s probably best for him to be a head coach in the A for a few years. Definitely best for us if we keep him there too. He knows the guys and we need our prospects to develop. I’d love for the next crop of prospects to benefit from good coaching next year too. He’s got a great attitude and we need that, let it start from the roots and hopefully the positivity grows and reaches the NHL players when some guys graduate to that level.

rboomercat90 likes this.
  8. rboomercat90

rboomercat90 Registered User

You still have to prove somewhere that you can run your own bench. If you don’t you can be regarded as a career assistant. That’s what he’s doing now. Nobody thought of him as head coaching material while he was here as an assistant. If he wants a job as an assistant coach in the NHL, I’m sure he could get one but that isn’t going to be a quicker path for him to get promoted.

His experience is with Mclellan and those results by themselves won’t get him a Head Coaching job. It didn’t end well in Edmonton and those Sharks teams were seen as under achievers.

He has two paths he can take now. One would be to start over as an assistant coach in the NHL, be on a successful team for several years and be recognized for the work he’s done. The second would be as a Head Coach for a successful AHL team for a few years. He’s already got one good season in as an AHL coach. Seems to me like he’s on the right path.

He may or may not be angry about what happened with Mclellan. If he is, I could see him not wanting to come back for that reason but I can’t see him being upset enough to leave over not being chosen as Oilers Head Coach this time. This is the Oilers and this roster isn’t good enough for any coach to win in the next few years. There will be another job opening up soon enough and the more success he has in Bakersfield, the more sense it will make for it to be his.

9. rboomercat90

rboomercat90 Registered User

It would be a mistake naming him next year but all that animosity will fade quickly if he continues to do a good job in Bakersfield. Oiler fans want guys that earn their jobs and have success that justifies getting them. We haven’t seen much of that in this organization for a long time. A few good seasons coaching in the minors will be more than enough to win over the fans. Look what that did for Todd Nelson.

EternalFrost likes this.
  10. Stoneman89

Stoneman89 Registered User

You mean the guy most people couldn’t wait to run out of town last year?

LucicDestroyedHaley likes this.
  11. Hemsky is a gangsta

Hemsky is a gangsta Hemsky is a gangsta

Medical Doctor (very rich
    Why not Todd Nelson or Rocky Thompson?

12. 780il

780il Registered User

He's got something good going in Bako

Keep him there

13. ImmuneEH

ImmuneEH Registered User

I'd continue to let him work with what he's got in Bakersfield next season. They are doing good things there. If we're still in the market for a coach at the end of next season, yeah I'd be open to it.

Someone like Quennville or Vigneault would be ideal. If you can't land one of those, I'd let Hitch stick around for one more year.

A coaching change won't make a substantial difference next season imo. We'll still be right up against the cap with Lucic, Manning, Spooner, and Kassian's contracts weighing us down. When three of those expire we'll have cap room to play with and set the stage for a productive season.

Edit: Also, I think it's a great idea say two years from now in the sense that we'll have internal solutions making the next step to the NHL. The positive about Woodcroft is that he has experience with our next batch of players (Jones, Bear, Lagesson, Benson, Marody, Yamamoto - and McLeod, Maksimov, & Samourukov for 1 season) which makes his transition into Oilers HC smoother. He'd know what their strengths and weaknesses are, how to utilize them, how to coach them, etc.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  14. Smartguy

Smartguy Registered User

Say what you will about todd, but he had this team playing good hockey in his short tenure, much like Kruger he probably would have been a better option then who they brought in to replace him

15. Del Preston

Del Preston Proctologist

You gotta wonder where this organization would be if Nelson had been hired in 2013 instead of Eakins.

Aerrol and Aerchon like this.
  16. Smartguy

Smartguy Registered User

You don’t think coaching would make a substantial difference? Who would have thought that after us going through about 10 coaches. Pick any coach, Quenville, whoever, won’t make a difference with this roster/culture instilled here.

17. Cloned

Cloned WoodWoof!

Probably better for the next 3 years, but...

No McDavid.

Not that we're doing great with McDavid right now either.

thadd likes this.
  18. Moreaupheus

Moreaupheus Tank Tech

Woodcroft?
    He just ain’t ready yet...nice hair though!

19. thadd

thadd Oil4Life

English teacher
    Surely there are at least 20 better options out there.

20. ImmuneEH

ImmuneEH Registered User

My point is that both McLellan and Hitch are both solid coaches. Provide a respectable coach with a poorly constructed roster, they'll have trouble making the playoffs.

You know what helps culture? Winning. Get all the character guys you want, find the right coach that knows how to reach his players, but as long as you continue to suck (especially in Edmonton's hockey bubble) it's hard to have a positive culture.

Quenville would be a great coach, but I don't see him getting our current roster to the playoffs.

21. Aerchon

Aerchon Registered User

I agree with those saying it's too early. Absolutely keep the guy. He has done great in Bakersfield but in a perfect world he continues in that much needed role successfully for a few years.

Another factor is how the Oilers dressing room perceives him. I can't help but think McLellan overrode Woodcroft on everything. Either that or he is just using McLellans systems in the ahl and it works really well. Any which way, the Oilers may not take him seriously if he was just McLellans yes man in the locker room.

Im not opposed to the idea just would rather him continue to have success down there AND get a new coach up here that can win in today's NHL.

22. MisterD

MisterD 5-14-6-1

Management
    I don’t know enough about his coaching style to say whether he should be considered. The new GM needs to have a strong vision in how he wants to build this team and the coaching philosophy and style needs to mesh - besides Chia’s many blunders, I still feel this is where he fell flat on his face. He had no vision on how he wanted to build the team.

23. Homesick

Homesick Registered User

The Oilers are 8th in the league on the PP.....
    Now the Oilers PK on the other hand will be the worst in the league by the end of the season(29th but CHI is trending up)

24. Faelko

Faelko Registered User

Home Page:
    Did he ever dodge a bullet being "demoted"... honest question, could the Condors beat the Oilers right now?

Oilhawks likes this.
  25. BudBundy

BudBundy Registered User

We’re going to have a new GM, new POHO (assuming the new GM doesnt wear both hats), and he is going to want his own coach in there. Woody seems to be developing prospects down there instead of overplaying AHL veterans to pad their win totals like our AHL coached have been doing for years and years, so he has my respect for that. Hopefully it gets noticed elsewhere and he gets his shot somewhere down the road, somewhere else. It wont likely be here and thats just how it works.