Thoughts on wearing a cage in mens league?

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I get hit in the face all the time, which is why I wear a fish bowl. No one ever chirps me for it, and if they did I wouldn't care. Besides, most of the guys in my league wear full face protection.

robmneilson

Aug 27, 2009
www.robmneilson.com
I'd say 98% of players in my leagues wear full cages. In Chelsea Piers or lasker you can't play with a half shield due to insurance reasons, but in LIC they will let you.

I've been whacked in the fact a half dozen times in the last season, glad to have my cage and no dental bills.

Pedagogue

May 31, 2009
Not sure why dudes come on the Internet wanting a bunch of strangers to help them decide if they should wear a cage or not. Everyone knows that not wearing a cage is dangerous as ***t happens! I wear a half visor and know the risks. It all depends on your comfort level.

SuburbanArgyle

May 4, 2010
The only people that should get chirped at for wearing cages in beer league are the ones that are jerks anyway and try to start "fights" (and I put that in quotes because we all know what beer league fights generally look like) while wearing their cages.

canuck44

Feb 24, 2010
I got chirped for wearing a cage because I confronted a guy who kept hacking away at me and crosschecking me. I guess I'm the ***** for wearing one and not hacking back :laugh:

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I wore a half-visor this year up until gettign a puck in the mouth... fortunately no teeth lost, just a bloody lip.

Here's the way I look at it now -- you're playing mens league, you're not a pro hockey player and you're not going to the NHL. Missing teeth isn't a great conversation starter.

Personally I'm a fan of a gray cage. Black is the same colour as the puck, chrome will reflect light, white will be very bright, but that's personal preference.

PP Subban

Nov 9, 2006
Im a hemophiliac and i dont wear a cage, but i do wear a visor to protect my eyes. Its weird, ill go weeks without a stick around my head and think about taking the visor off. Then the past 3 games, ive taken a stick to the face and one slapped right across my visor hard.

A lot of guys will chirp the cage, but it is recreational hockey, if your just lookin to be safe then i have no problem with it. But if you put it on and start getting more aggressive with your stick work then i have a problem. Just keep to yourself and its nbd.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
With the number of players baling hay out there, I don't know why you wouldn't wear a full cage.

SouthpawTRK

Sep 18, 2009
Northern California
If you don't have dental/medical insurance and cannot miss work due to non-work related accidents, then I would wear a cage. Even if a person plays in an "A" level league; the individual cannot control other player's reckless play or avoid untimely accidents.

hattrick3518

Jan 31, 2011
B-Ham
I just recently joined a beer league, haven't played my first game yet, but I've gotten a visor to protect my eyes. I've got my cage in my bag so if anything goes nuts or I feel uncomfortable, I'll just put it back on.

DevsFan84

Jul 31, 2007
I usually don't get involved in any chirping or anything like that...the exception is when someone is trying to be the Sean Avery of adult league and is wearing a cage or a fishbowl (I wear a visor) It just seems lame to me.

The day I lose my dental insurance is the day the full cage comes back on, and I'd never fault someone for wearing one.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
I wear a half-half combo. Top shield, bottom cage. Does the job.

It's made by Oakley, something like this:
oakley-visor-cage-medium-mens-ice-hockey_140494498940.jpg

Heck, I remember I was playing with no helmet on in open hockey. There were just three of us, all of whom played on the same team. We were just screwing around when I got a stick in the mouth. Luckily I didn't lose any teeth, but I had a huge cut on my lip from my tooth digging into my lip. Took a month or two to fully heal. Never played without my cage again.

They don't pay me to play beer league hockey, so no way am I taking that chance.

Blues88

Apr 27, 2009
St. Louis
I dont wear one and I play in some competitive leagues. High sticked twice and took a puck to the mouth earlier today.

Wear one. Don't be the cool dip **** who bleeds on the bench.

I am literally that guy, and its kinda sad.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
I ate an errant stick from my teammate in a B league game on some Tuesday night at 11:30 and lost a handful of teeth. That hurt a lot and looked like hell forever.

Not wearing a full cage is just stupid. I can take it off if I need to fight so whatever. I will never go through that again!

Fleuryoutside29

Nov 3, 2009
I wear one in my league. But its because there are a bunch of boneheads who don't know how to take a slapshot and end up shooting into a crowd of heads.

Badger36

Jan 4, 2010
Columbus, OH
I personally wont play hockey without a cage or full faceshield. Even on a higher level beer league, you're still playing for nothing besides fun and pride, so why risk it?

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
in my league you are required to at least wear a half shield unless you play in the highest level which is almost all former college/junior/pro players. there are still plenty of guys who wear full cages and shields in the highest level.
a buddy of mine plays in that level and he used to wear no shield or cage at all. he took a slapshot in the jaw and it shattered. after a few months of drinking all of his food through a straw he bought a cage and hasn't looked back.

hattrick3518

Jan 31, 2011
B-Ham
Wore a cage last night because my visor is still stuck in the mail, can't wait to switch to the visor so I can actually see. Not a very competitive league but the guys seem to know what they are doing, they aren't standing there throwing their sticks around so I'd feel comfortable with just the visor :)

Briere Up There*

I play pretty aggressive when I have a cage on. But it blocks my vision sometimes so I wear a halfie and just hold my hand up to my mouth whenever someone winds up for a shot in my direction.

Hacker10

Oct 10, 2010
Horrible lookin'!
I was covering the other team's D up at the blueline during one of my daytime league games. I gave him a bit too much space, and he got a pass that had been ringed around the boards. I went for a poke check as he wound up for a slap shot, and the puck deflected off my stick blade and right into my cage, directly at my mouth, and below where a visor would be. Had I not been wearing cage, I probably would have lost all my front teeth, and done serious damage to my mouth/jaw. Heck, it even made me think twice about the neck guard sitting in my gear bag in the locker room.

I have to work in the morning, and I prefer not to eat my food through a straw. No way I would ever play beer/rec league without a cage.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
I am 25 years old and I play in a competitive mens "A" league. Right now I wear a visor just to protect my eyes. The last 3 games I have played I have had around 8-10 incidents where I nearly lost a few teeth either from irresponible players getting a high stick on me or from a few deflected shots that nearly hit me in the face if I did not see them coming.

It seems to come in waves (shots to the face). I will go a few months without a stick or puck coming near my head then a few game stretch where I come very close to some serious dental work.

What is your opinion on wearing a full cage in a mens league? This is not a normal beer league, everyone in the league is really competitive and most are former NCAA/AAA/Junior players.

I would wear full cage if I were you. I play in an iron lung league & I can get by with a visor. However, if the league you play in is that competitive, I would recommend full cage...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad