Thoughts on wearing a cage in mens league?

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
I've been considering the switch back to a full cage/cage-visor combo after wearing a visor for 6 years...last week, within 10 seconds, I got high sticked in the face (thankfully not cut) and took a slash across the throat by some dumbass swinging wildly at a puck in the air. And then at the end of the game some tough guy with a full visor punched me straight in the mouth without being provoked (he then proceeded to get his ass kicked).

Only problem is I have a monster head, and in order for me to wear a cage properly (with the chin cup actually under my chin...I need to tilt my helmet forward and then I expose some of the back of my head.

Briere Up There*

I don't really put myself in too many positions to get smacked in the mouth with a puck, so yes.

FiveAndAGame

Jul 15, 2010
Long Island, NY
Or neither and wear a cage!`

Thats my philosophy, and I don't think I will ever take my cage off. I wore a helmet with a visor for 20 minutes at an open skate and almost got my nose broken(race for a loose puck, we both went to chip it and the puck came up and caught me right on the bottom of the visor). I instantly went to the locker room and put my helmet with the full cage on. Those kinds of plays are the ones that worry me more. If someone is winding up for a shot, I would know to put my hand up by my mouth. But a play like what happened to me, that isn't something you can always avoid. Sometimes, ***** happens. And sometimes, that ***** will cost you a lot of pain and money. Not worth it for rec hockey.

Briere Up There*

Yes, really cool picking up chiclets.

Hasn't happened, hasn't even come close to happening. The worst I've been hit in the face was when I wore a cage in competitive hockey and got my chin busted open every time I checked someone hard or got checked hard.

The visor enables me to play with my head up more efficiently without the cage or chin piece taking bits from my peripheral vision.

ean

Nov 27, 2007
My philosophy is that if you either wear a half visor or wear nothing but would start to wear a visor/cage after your first injury, then you might as well start wearing the facial protection now before that injury occurs, and it will happen.

JRZ DVLS

Try Brubag*****
Feb 21, 2007
NC,ILL,NorNJ,Roch
www.brubag.com
Who am i to tell anyone what to do, but I wear one. many reasons for it.

1. It's mens league
2. I am not getting paid
3. no one is at my beckoning on the bench to help me out
4. I have to go to work in the morning. (also have to explain to the Mrs.)
5. No matter what you do, there are always hacks that can't control their sticks
6. Don't wanna mess my beautiful Mug!!!! :)

I would love to go out there without one. I have in the past, and I could see better, but any facial injury that could seriously affect my regular daily functions it is not worth a little better peripheral vision. I have seen too many guys have some nasty crap happen to them. Then they go to the long face shield like Colin White.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad