Thoughts on this Goal

What thought best approximates how you would view this goal if your goalie allowed it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011

Hey all, just looking for unbiased opinions about this goal.

To be clear I am asking about this exact situation, so a wide open forward coming off the bench, moving at top/near top speed into the high slot and taking a hard wrister that beats the unscreened goalie over his shoulder.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
It was a good shot, but absolutely saveable. It sucks that the defense allowed a good chance like that, but you still hope your goalie can stop it.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Something between 4 and 5 lets say 4.5

Jones played it about as well as he could have. Challenged past the top of his crease and Bourque wizzed it by his ear, there's really nothing he could have done apart from guessing/cheating on that location. Perfect shot.

The goaltender shold be one of the last people you think about assigning blame on that goal

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Something between 4 and 5 lets say 4.5

Jones played it about as well as he could have. Challenged past the top of his crease and Bourque wizzed it by his ear, there's really nothing he could have done apart from guessing/cheating on that location. Perfect shot.

The goaltender shold be one of the last people you think about assigning blame on that goal

Yeah my thoughts exactly.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If it's on anyone it's Burns. The puck starts hopping like a rat just when it gets to him, bad break, but what you're supposed to do in that situation is get your body in front of it and keep it along the boards until you can make a pass. Instead it looked like he didn't want to battle. Are the minutes catching up with him?

Reactions: RayBloodyPurchase

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
If it's on anyone it's Burns. The puck starts hopping like a rat just when it gets to him, bad break, but what you're supposed to do in that situation is get your body in front of it and keep it along the boards until you can make a pass. Instead it looked like he didn't want to battle. Are the minutes catching up with him?

Yeah he tried to get cute and attempted to backhand the puck down low to himself as he attempted to juke the defender but missed the puck/Conner stick checked him, and at the point Burns had already had his momentum going the other way.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Option 4. Can’t really fault the goalie on that. Perfect shot, coming in with tons of speed. Most goalies won’t stop that

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

Defence dropped the ball. Jones played it well. The shot was great in a high danger spot.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Voted 4, was between 3 and 4 as I didn't have a good angle of the exact shot, but I'd take the point of view that if you give NHLers a chance from there with that little pressure there's a decent chance they'll make it near-impossible for the goaltender, and that all the goaltender can do is take up as much net as possible and pray the shooter doesn't put it in an area he can't cover.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
It’s not something you necessarily blame the goaltender for, but the fact is that this ends up being a goal significantly less than 50% of the time.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
That was a shot from the slot with zero pressure. Most NHLers will bury that.

It was from far out though, near the top of the circles. Even the best snipers like Ovechkin aren’t burying that even 50% or half the time.

I’m sure it can be proven analytically by looking at shots from that location in similar context (after a giveaway by the defense) and see what the Shooting % is.

I’d venture league average is 20-ish% on that kind of shot.

But you certainly can’t fault the goalie when the player makes the shot and puts the puck where Borque did.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
It’s not something you necessarily blame the goaltender for, but the fact is that this ends up being a goal significantly less than 50% of the time.

You might know. What’s the expected shooting % on a shot from that location? And can you account for the turnover/giveaway component?

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
You might know. What’s the expected shooting % on a shot from that location? And can you account for the turnover/giveaway component?

Moneypuck’s expected goal model gave this shot a 3.7% chance of scoring. I don’t believe their model accounted for the turnover/giveaway component. I think there are some models that account for that stuff but I don’t think they will accurately account for the degree to which the odds of this particular shot scoring were increased by that component. I definitely think this shot had a greater chance of being a goal than 3.7%, but I think it was a hell of a lot closer to that than it was to 50%.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Moneypuck’s expected goal model gave this shot a 3.7% chance of scoring. I don’t believe their model accounted for the turnover/giveaway component. I think there are some models that account for that stuff but I don’t think they will accurately account for the degree to which the odds of this particular shot scoring were increased by that component. I definitely think this shot had a greater chance of being a goal than 3.7%, but I think it was a hell of a lot closer to that than it was to 50%.

Wow, that’s crazily inaccurate imo. yeah I don’t buy that at all. But their odds might be affected by this thing going on...

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Wow, that’s crazily inaccurate imo. yeah I don’t buy that at all. But their odds might be affected by this thing going on...

That issue with tracking has since been fixed. The odds of this goal should not be effected by that at all.

Having said that, I do believe that this one was tracked slightly further from the net than where the puck was actually released from.

upload_2019-11-3_21-26-7.png

upload_2019-11-3_21-24-37.png

However, they aren't far apart. Bourque wasn't even parallel to the top of the circle when the puck was released. Jones had time to get square to the shooter. This shot, far more often than not, is not a goal. Maybe the shooter did a better job than most on the shot itself.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Correct me if I'm wrong but expected goals doesn't take into account defenders between the puck and the net or pressure on the shooter. I think that makes a big difference

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The puck moved across the goaltender right before the shot which means this is probably a green chance.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Correct me if I'm wrong but expected goals doesn't take into account defenders between the puck and the net or pressure on the shooter. I think that makes a big difference

No, it doesn’t take that into account and that definitely does make a big difference. But I don’t buy that it bumps this shot up from a 3.7% chance of scoring, all the way to a 50% chance of scoring. That’s ridiculous.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Well, I voted for the last option, but second-the-last would work, too.

The thing is, it's a nice shot, high glove. It's from the very best scoring sector, the one where you just can't allow any shots from. The general expectation is that any good shot from that sector will be a goal, and I think this was a good shot. It's also after horizontal movement by the goaltender.
No, it doesn’t take that into account and that definitely does make a big difference. But I don’t buy that it bumps this shot up from a 3.7% chance of scoring, all the way to a 50% chance of scoring. That’s ridiculous.
What? 3.7%? It's the best scoring sector, squarely in the middle.

"50%" or whatever number you're quoting would be for any shot in that scoring chance, even ones that miss, or hit the crest. If it's a good shot like this one, the scoring chance goes way up. 50% might even be selling this one short.
However, they aren't far apart. Bourque wasn't even parallel to the top of the circle when the puck was released. Jones had time to get square to the shooter. This shot, far more often than not, is not a goal. Maybe the shooter did a better job than most on the shot itself.

Maybe? It's not tough to see if you have your eyes open.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
That issue with tracking has since been fixed. The odds of this goal should not be effected by that at all.

Having said that, I do believe that this one was tracked slightly further from the net than where the puck was actually released from.

1) Correct me if i'm wrong, but that appears to be Corsi shooting % right? So it's taking into accounts blocks and misses, and not just shots that made it on goal.

2) 44 feet is wildly inaccurate. Here is him after just releasing the puck, he's almost at the top hash mark. He was in full flight toward the net with the puck loaded on his stick, so he gained distance fast, inaccurate recording. faceoff dots are 20 feet from the goal line, he's at most 25-30 feet upon release.

wsgh1DJ.png

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
4. It could be saved but that's not really on the goalie, at all. Tough shot.

6) Our D sucks would be the correct option here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad