Thoughts on the Young Guys/New Guys

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Lucas Raymond - Started strong and faded without Larkin. 2-4-6 in and 10 shots in the first 3 games. 0-0-0 and 3 shots in the next three. I think he could help the powerplay now, but I'm not sure he's ready for a top-nine role at 5 on 5. Wouldn't be opposed to trying it, though.
Joe Veleno - 2-3-5 and 13 in six games. I think Veleno is ready to play, even if it's a 12-14 minute a night role. End of the day, Veleno might only be a 15-minute a night C anyway, so the whole "dominate the AHL" argument doesn't make a lick of sense.
Zadina - 0-2-2 and 10 shots in 5 games. Zadina seemed to improve as the preseason went on, even if the stats didn't really say so. He's gotta make a difference this year. Getting to be too old/experienced to consider him a guy with potential.
Smith - 0--1-1, 7 shots and 17 hits in 4 games. I'm fine with him on Line 4 or in the press box.
Pearson - 1-0-1, 10 shots in 4 games. Not that young and not productive. Could be a depth guy, maybe. But not convincing, either.
Berggren - 0-0-0 in 2 games. Did manage 5 shots. Seemed quiet, compared to expectations. Obviously, the injury didn't help.
Tyutyayev - 0-0-0 2 shots in 3 games. Beat my expectations despite never scoring. Deserved a contract. Didn't deserve to make the team.
Suter - 2-3-5 in 5 games. Suter put up points and had one game where he looked pretty good. But while he's almost surely our 2C this year, I'm really not sure he's cut out for such a role. Won't be surprised if he gets bumped to the wing 20 games in.
Rasmussen - Scored in his only game. Not much to see.
Leddy - Nice on the powerplay. Not good defensively. You'll see this a lot this year.
Seider - 1-2-3 in 6 games. Really solid preseason. Great, even, for a 20-year old But less impressive than the hype might have led one to believe. I don't think he'll be well served playing 22 minutes a night. I think Hronek is still clearly the #1 RD on the defenseman. Seider, is, however, ready for the NHL. But it's going to take some more time with Seider before he's the guy a lot of people think he can be. His urgency on defense was questionable at times. His physicality, one of his strengths, was nowhere to be seen. He got walked. He had miscommunications with the goalie for two goals. Still - he's already a strong passer. I liked his outlets. And honestly, I felt his O-zone work was better than his D-zone work - and that was a surprise.
Lindstrom - 0-1-1 in 4 games. Pretty nondescript. Should make the team, but will he play? Probably using 7D and 11 forward. LD: Leddy, Staal, Dekeyser RD: Hronek,Seider, Stecher. If Lindstrom is 7, who's 8? Oesterle?
Cotton - 2 games 0-0-0 - Struggled. But he also had 6 shots in goalm, ranking 2nd on the entire team defense for ALL of the preseason. Worth a contract, IMO, just to see if he can get better.
Sebrango - 3 games 0-0-0, 0 shots 1 hit. Not much from Sebrango. Still just a D+2 guy.
Newpower - I thought he was having a solid camp until a brutal giveaway for a goal against.
Oesterle -0-2-2 in 3 games. 5 shots. 1 shot. Decent with the puck. I guess he might be one of the eight. I'd rather have Renouf.
Nedeljkovic - .897 3.87 - Started horribly. Got better as he went. But even in his best game, he made an awful mistake for a backbreaking goal. Going to be interesting to see how he does in the regular season.
Brattstrom - .955 1.13 - Between the prospect tournament and pre-season, Brattstrom sold me that there could be something there. He just looked solid. Maybe that's easy for a 6'5 goalie to do when nobody has any scouting on him. Who knows?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Joe Veleno - 2-3-5 and 13 in six games. I think Veleno is ready to play, even if it's a 12-14 minute a night role. End of the day, Veleno might only be a 15-minute a night C anyway, so the whole "dominate the AHL" argument doesn't make a lick of sense.
Agree. He has nothing to gain by playing in the AHL, his track record suggests he's gonna struggle a bit in adjusting to a higher level. Might as well make this season his adjustment year since the team isn't competing for anything. Regardless he looks better than Namestnikov, Rowney, or Gagner. Let Joey learn how to PK, he's fast, strong, and defensively responsible.

Cotton - 2 games 0-0-0 - Struggled. But he also had 6 shots in goalm, ranking 2nd on the entire team defense for ALL of the preseason. Worth a contract, IMO, just to see if he can get better.
He's absolutely brutal with no defensive IQ. I'm not convinced he gets a contract. Just because he threw a few shots from the blueline means nothing, none of them were high quality scoring chances.

He's like Bowey, his offense isn't good enough to compensate for the fact he can't play D.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Agree. He has nothing to gain by playing in the AHL, his track record suggests he's gonna struggle a bit in adjusting to a higher level. Might as well make this season his adjustment year since the team isn't competing for anything. Regardless he looks better than Namestnikov, Rowney, or Gagner. Let Joey learn how to PK, he's fast, strong, and defensively responsible.

He's absolutely brutal with no defensive IQ. I'm not convinced he gets a contract. Just because he threw a few shots from the blueline means nothing, none of them were high quality scoring chances.

He's like Bowey, his offense isn't good enough to compensate for the fact he can't play D.

Bowey skates a lot better.
But Bowey's been getting years to prove it. I think Cotton is worth the investment.

Reactions: lilidk

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Bowey skates a lot better.
But Bowey's been getting years to prove it. I think Cotton is worth the investment.
Bowey should've been converted to wing.

Cotton is a 5th round pick, I doubt they throw a contract at him unless he shows drastic improvement this season. Tyut will probably get a contract if he throws some points up in GR.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Players that impressed:

Moritz Seider
Joe Veleno
Lucas Raymond
Kirill Tyutyayev
Riley Barber
Nick Leddy
Pius Suter
Michael Rasmussen
Filip Zadina

Players that didn't:

Carter Rowney
Gustav Lindstrom
Givani Smith
Alex Nedeljkovic
Alex Cotton
Wyatt Newpower

Middle Ground:

Taro Hirose
Donovan Sebrango
Chase Pearson
Jordan Oesterle

Didn't get to see:

Victor Brattstrom

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
We had too many games in not enough days. Really bad preseason schedule with even worse broadcasting/streaming options. Last game was "officially" streamed on Wings website and was on black screen for most of 1st period.
Tier 2 leagues in europe have higher quality streams and easier access online. That's my main takeaway - it felt like the concept of preseason hockey was brand new for everyone involved in the planning of this.

So that impacts how much I was able to actually see and what I make of players performance. Overall I think Raymond stood out as clearly being worth an NHL look to start, and I think Seider is going to be an absolute horse. He must have played the most of any of our players and despite some mistakes that need ironing out he was one of few that didn't look dead tired and flat towards the end.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
We had too many games in not enough days. Really bad preseason schedule with even worse broadcasting/streaming options. Last game was "officially" streamed on Wings website and was on black screen for most of 1st period.
Tier 2 leagues in europe have higher quality streams and easier access online. That's my main takeaway - it felt like the concept of preseason hockey was brand new for everyone involved in the planning of this.

So that impacts how much I was able to actually see and what I make of players performance. Overall I think Raymond stood out as clearly being worth an NHL look to start, and I think Seider is going to be an absolute horse. He must have played the most of any of our players and despite some mistakes that need ironing out he was one of few that didn't look dead tired and flat towards the end.

We started our 1st game the same day the Leafs had their 3rd.
Maybe you're right about the quality of the schedule.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I didn't see any problems with the pre-season schedule, because everybody used double teams. Even if there was 2 games on 3 days. Every player played only 1 in three days.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I didn't see any problems with the pre-season schedule, because everybody used double teams. Even if there was 2 games on 3 days. Every player played only 1 in three days.
The bad schedule forced late cuts and some players that just shouldn't have been around to stick much longer (Cotten et al).
Not even having one game with a full lineup doesn't inspire confidence for the regular season opener.

Reactions: Holden Caufield

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
He just needs to improve his skating

Cotton needs to improve a lot more than his skating. In his own zone, the dude is completely lost. He chases the puck and puts himself out of position on a regular basis. It's the same critique I have for McIsaac, but 10 times worse.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Cotton needs to improve a lot more than his skating. In his own zone, the dude is completely lost. He chases the puck and puts himself out of position on a regular basis. It's the same critique I have for McIsaac, but 10 times worse.

He certainly struggled with the pace of the pro game, but I will admit that he has shown improvement over the last 12-14 months. An overage year will be good for him in that it will give him time to focus on the defensive side of the rink and to continue working on his feet. It also kicks the contract can down the road for another year which is important because we have drafted a lot of kids over the last two years and need to be judicious with contracts.

I have a lot of time for the kid because we don't have a ton of great offensive defensemen in the organization.

Reactions: jaster

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
The bad schedule forced late cuts and some players that just shouldn't have been around to stick much longer (Cotten et al).
Not even having one game with a full lineup doesn't inspire confidence for the regular season opener.

We don't have a full lineup because half of our meaningful players are still battling injuries.

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
Is this supposed to say thighs or thoughts? Because those are two very different conversations.

Dec 26, 2019
Kamloops B.C
As far as forwards go I was really impressed by Raymond, Veleno and Rasmussen and that’s all I really care about for now.

Seider at times looked great and also showed warts which is to be expected.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
All I know is Rowney is a bum who never should have been signed. Just wasting a roster spot. Don’t understand why veleno didn’t make the team as a third line winger, he clearly earned a spot but as usual the tie goes to random vets that barely contribute.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
All I know is Rowney is a bum who never should have been signed. Just wasting a roster spot. Don’t understand why veleno didn’t make the team as a third line winger, he clearly earned a spot but as usual the tie goes to random vets that barely contribute.

I don't think it was Veleno vs Rowney.

I think it was Veleno vs... Rasmussen, Larkin, Suter, Stephens.

This team clearly sees Rasmussen as a C - something I don't like, really.
And Veleno is clearly a C.

I do think Veleno has some maturing to do as an NHLer.
He just needs to bear down just a bit harder - across the board. A little more decisive about his decisions. A little harder in his battles. A little more crisp with his passes.
If he does that, he'll be a good 3C.

I honestly don't know if Rasmussen will ever be a quality NHL C.
He's a long way from it right now.

But I just don't see where Veleno is better served by going back down to the AHL again.

It's staggering to me. He's clearly one of our top 12 forwards.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Rowney is a bum and Yzerman is idiot hockey GM who can't build teams.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Players that impressed:

Moritz Seider
Joe Veleno
Lucas Raymond
Kirill Tyutyayev
Riley Barber
Nick Leddy
Pius Suter
Michael Rasmussen
Filip Zadina