Thoughts on the Flames after 5 games

scoringmachine

Jan 17, 2007
I feel the Flames play better five-on-five but fail miserably when the get a penalty. My reason is on five-on-five they do a good job of taking away potential scoring chances. On the penalty kill they try too hard to go after the player with the puck and forget the rest of the players. This causes confusion between the players to stop a good scoring chances as they are all focused on the puck. Also when they get scored on it looks like the team gets scared and make poor decisions on the next two shifts. They need to learn to relax and not overdo things and play a simple game that helps them create more scoring chances rather than trying to do too much with the puck. After taking the lead against Chicago they started to play like they were on penalty kill and looking like they were lost giving Chicago a great chance to tie the game which they did. They need to work on their penalty kill to where everyone knows their role and how to prevent good scoring chances and how to keep their composer when they get scored on so that they do not lose focus a d play their simple game.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
It's been 6 games.

I love the way the Flames played last game, and it seems as though everyone, except Kipper, have found their groove. Sure Iggy and Cammy have no goals, but they're looking good. We need to learn how to carry the puck into the the zone while on the PP, or at least dump and chase. If the Flames play like they did against the Blackhawks, and just touch up on finishing their chances, and if Kipper finds his groove again, the team looks deadly.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
It's been 6 games.

I love the way the Flames played last game, and it seems as though everyone, except Kipper, have found their groove. Sure Iggy and Cammy have no goals, but they're looking good. We need to learn how to carry the puck into the the zone while on the PP, or at least dump and chase. If the Flames play like they did against the Blackhawks, and just touch up on finishing their chances, and if Kipper finds his groove again, the team looks deadly.

I hope the team finds their groove, next game and doesn't stop... or the entire team never finds it at all. I don't want to see another mid season resurgence just to have the most amount of points out of the playoffs.

If they're going to suck, suck hard so we can do a quick rebuild, it shouldn't take Calgary more than a year to be almost fully rebuilt.

mjw22

Feb 10, 2012
moosejaw
It's been 6 games.

Cammy and Kipper look dead :facepalm:

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
If they're going to suck, suck hard so we can do a quick rebuild, it shouldn't take Calgary more than a year to be almost fully rebuilt.

With the majority of their core aging, and a less than average stable of propsects, I don't see how this is possible.

Calagry can likely muddle through as long as they want.

But by "fully rebuilt" you mean they have a new young core which is either in their prime of quickly reaching their prime, capable of competing with the leagues best, I don't see how that is possible from one draft.

If so, every team could (and would) be rebuilt in a year.

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
With the majority of their core aging, and a less than average stable of propsects, I don't see how this is possible.

But by "fully rebuilt" you mean they have a new young core which is either in their prime of quickly reaching their prime, capable of competing with the leagues best, I don't see how that is possible from one draft.

Calgary currently has 9 forwards, 5 defensemen, and one goalie signed for next season. Included in that are Kipper and Cammalleri. If The Flames traded those two and Iginla, they are suddenly at ~$28m in cap space for next season minus any carryover from acquisitions in trades. One guy that I would leave space for (around $5.5m to be safe) is Valtteri Filppula. Stick him where Stajan is.

Here's what a potential roster might look like:

FORWARDS
Jiri Hudler ($4.000m) / Valtteri Filppula ($5.000m) / Roman Cervenka ($2.750m)
Sven Baertschi ($1.425m) / Mikael Backlund ($1.500m) / Alex Tanguay ($3.500m)
Curtis Glencross ($2.550m) / Matt Stajan ($3.500m) / Lee Stempniak ($2.500m)
Blake Comeau ($1.500m) / Blair Jones ($0.650m) / Tim Jackman ($0.613m)
Lance Bouma ($0.600m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Jay Bouwmeester ($6.680m) / Dennis Wideman ($5.250m)
Mark Giordano ($4.020m) / Robyn Regehr ($4.000m)
Cory Sarich ($2.000m) / T.J. Brodie ($1.000m)
Derek Smith ($0.775m) /

GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Leland Irving ($0.875m)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,156,667; BONUSES: $531,250
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $6,674,583

Obviously, that would involve signing Filppula and bringing back Regehr, plus trading for Schneider. In this scenario the Flames would likely have picked up a good level of picks and/or prospects. If the Flames are smart about it, they would deal (given the option) for high-level prospects who are proving they will stick in the NHL as advertised. Definitely better than an assortment of picks that could turn out to be nothing.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Look at it this way:
Backlund, Baertschi, Cervenka, Hudler, Ramo and Brodie are all under 30, with the majority of them being under 27.

All have the ability to be elite level talents in this league. Backlund, finally, after years of just kind of being there, is turning it up and is firing on all cylinders. It's just a matter of time before he blows up for points with the chances he's getting and skills he's demonstrating. Cervenka and Hudler are ridiculous together, it's crazy how much they feed off each other... IF they could put a center on that line or a skilled winger and shift Cervenka down the middle.. God knows what this line could do. Baertschi has all kinds of skill, he demonstrates it well keeping in mind he's still a young guy in this league.

If you fail this year, means you're trading assets. Jarome, Cammy and maybe even Kipper get shipped off at or around the deadline for some high end talent.

In all cases, all three of these players should demand a high end talent, or first round pick and mid tier talent. Also, there are two teams I can currently think of on top of my head that require some much better defense, in Philly and NYI.

If Calgary manages to suck hard enough, it means they should get a very good pick at the draft, and should take one of: MacKinnon, Jones or Barkov. At the end of the day, each one of them fills a huge roll going in.

Flames have been rebuilding on the fly, what most people don't see, I truly believe that it wouldn't take past the 14-15 season to be highly competitive again.

Zoombie

Oct 28, 2011
Plus we get Jankowski in for the '15-'16 season right around when our 2013,14,15 draft picks are maturing so we should be able to field a team by then, if we can find a goaltender.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Calgary currently has 9 forwards, 5 defensemen, and one goalie signed for next season. Included in that are Kipper and Cammalleri. If The Flames traded those two and Iginla, they are suddenly at ~$28m in cap space for next season minus any carryover from acquisitions in trades. One guy that I would leave space for (around $5.5m to be safe) is Valtteri Filppula. Stick him where Stajan is.

Here's what a potential roster might look like:

FORWARDS
Jiri Hudler ($4.000m) / Valtteri Filppula ($5.000m) / Roman Cervenka ($2.750m)
Sven Baertschi ($1.425m) / Mikael Backlund ($1.500m) / Alex Tanguay ($3.500m)
Curtis Glencross ($2.550m) / Matt Stajan ($3.500m) / Lee Stempniak ($2.500m)
Blake Comeau ($1.500m) / Blair Jones ($0.650m) / Tim Jackman ($0.613m)
Lance Bouma ($0.600m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Jay Bouwmeester ($6.680m) / Dennis Wideman ($5.250m)
Mark Giordano ($4.020m) / Robyn Regehr ($4.000m)
Cory Sarich ($2.000m) / T.J. Brodie ($1.000m)
Derek Smith ($0.775m) /

GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Leland Irving ($0.875m)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,156,667; BONUSES: $531,250
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $6,674,583

Obviously, that would involve signing Filppula and bringing back Regehr, plus trading for Schneider. In this scenario the Flames would likely have picked up a good level of picks and/or prospects. If the Flames are smart about it, they would deal (given the option) for high-level prospects who are proving they will stick in the NHL as advertised. Definitely better than an assortment of picks that could turn out to be nothing.

Firstly, I don't think that is a very good team.

Secondly, Cervanka is a UFA after this season. If he's as good as everyone around her thinks he is, he'll cost a lot more to sign I would guess.

TylerSVT*

Look at it this way:
Backlund, Baertschi, Cervenka, Hudler, Ramo and Brodie are all under 30, with the majority of them being under 27.

All have the ability to be elite level talents in this league. Backlund, finally, after years of just kind of being there, is turning it up and is firing on all cylinders. It's just a matter of time before he blows up for points with the chances he's getting and skills he's demonstrating. Cervenka and Hudler are ridiculous together, it's crazy how much they feed off each other... IF they could put a center on that line or a skilled winger and shift Cervenka down the middle.. God knows what this line could do. Baertschi has all kinds of skill, he demonstrates it well keeping in mind he's still a young guy in this league.

If you fail this year, means you're trading assets. Jarome, Cammy and maybe even Kipper get shipped off at or around the deadline for some high end talent.

In all cases, all three of these players should demand a high end talent, or first round pick and mid tier talent. Also, there are two teams I can currently think of on top of my head that require some much better defense, in Philly and NYI.

If Calgary manages to suck hard enough, it means they should get a very good pick at the draft, and should take one of: MacKinnon, Jones or Barkov. At the end of the day, each one of them fills a huge roll going in.

Flames have been rebuilding on the fly, what most people don't see, I truly believe that it wouldn't take past the 14-15 season to be highly competitive again.

Wat?

Seriously Brodie is likely a top 4 guy max, Cerevenka is likely a top 6 guy, or even a bottom 6 guy on some teams.

Beartchi is the only one who could actually be ELITE.

The Rest are regular NHL'rs.

TylerSVT*

IMO. Blow it up already. This team blows, core blows, i dont even care if we are a 9th place team, blow it up and rebuild already. I hate the way this team is run.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Wat?

Seriously Brodie is likely a top 4 guy max, Cerevenka is likely a top 6 guy, or even a bottom 6 guy on some teams.

Beartchi is the only one who could actually be ELITE.

The Rest are regular NHL'rs.

Baertchi, Cervenka, Hudler, Backlund all have the ability for top 6 roles. I shouldn't have used elite, but there is strong talent there.
Brodie is playing on the top two pairs, and is really gelling well with Wideman, he has the ability to be a strong puck moving top 4 guys. Again not elite, probably a bad word, but strong player.
Finally Ramo is an unknown, but if he can transfer a bit of the K to the NHL, he's elite. Like, legit, Elite.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
We seem to be getting better each game, with the exception of Kipper. It really goes to show how much we've depended on him all these years. It also goes to show without him, we are last place team.

I think I can speak for all of us when I say; get it together and make the playoffs, or just finish last. :laugh: I will NEVER cheer for them to fail, but if we miss the playoffs for a 4th straight year, just get that lottery pick. Trade Iggy and Kipper to a contender, and lets clean up in this "deep" draft year.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
We seem to be getting better each game, with the exception of Kipper. It really goes to show how much we've depended on him all these years. It also goes to show without him, we are last place team.

I think I can speak for all of us when I say; get it together and make the playoffs, or just finish last. :laugh: I will NEVER cheer for them to fail, but if we miss the playoffs for a 4th straight year, just get that lottery pick. Trade Iggy and Kipper to a contender, and lets clean up in this "deep" draft year.

If Irving comes in and even plays half decent I think it shows that Kipper was helped alot by the systems we have used previously the guy has been terrible this year. I hope we give Irving a start soon because I think it is the only thing that can wake Kipper up is if it looks like someone else can get it done.

scoringmachine

Jan 17, 2007
Last night a friend and I were talking about the the Flames and feel that the reason that Iginla and Kipper have not been traded is due to the fact that with those to gone it will be hard to fill seats at the Saddledome. Calgary needs to take that risk if they want to stay competitive in the tough Northwest division. When trading Iginla, Feaster should let all the Gms know he is available and Feaster will get some good offer and then tell Iginla what teams made the best offer and if he likes any of those teams then Feaster can pull the trigger and make the trade. For Kipper they should keep him for part of next year and make Ramo the backup. Once the team feels Ramo has regained his NHL form trade Kipper and make Irving the backup. Then you get rid of two players and start your rebuild.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
If Irving comes in and even plays half decent I think it shows that Kipper was helped alot by the systems we have used previously the guy has been terrible this year. I hope we give Irving a start soon because I think it is the only thing that can wake Kipper up is if it looks like someone else can get it done.

Agreed.
Plus I really like Irving. I hope he gets some games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad