Thoughts on the Buffalo Sabres?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
:sabres

They have made A LOT of changes everywhere. Their defense looks better with the newly acquired LHD. Eichel should play 82 games and is expected to be a PPG player. New coach, new management, should be an interesting team to look at. I expect them to make a playoff push, but think that they barely miss.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
They should get at least 10-15 more points this year

- Injuries hit hard last year. If they sustain even an average amount of injuries this year and Eichel stays healthy, that will be a big boost

- The team had given up on DB, who was a terrible coach
- Scandella is an upgrade on Kulikov (who only played 47 games last year)
- Antipin/Bealieu are wild cards who could pan out
- Pominville upgrade on Ennis
- Internal improvements from young players (Eichel, Reinhart, Risto, McCabe)

But yeah, coaching will be the most important factor. Anything is an upgrade on Bylsma, but how big of an upgrade remains to be seen.

I think we just miss the playoffs because it's a tough division, but the team is in contention for a spot all year.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
I think they have one of the best centre duos in the league, and if lehner stays healthy, he can make some noise. Wingers are middle Of The pack.

I'm not a believer in risto, but I think the scandella pickup is a very strong one.

Probably bubble team.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
So sick of prorated Eichel points. Play 82 and let's see what you got.

Not a fan of Buffalo, but really don't have a reason for that. Hope Eichel bursts into the top 10 points.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They're the Winnipeg Jets of the East IMO. They should be better because they have a good team on paper, but coaching has held them back severely.

Los Patos de Anaheim

Nov 19, 2016
Idaho, USA
Eichel should hit 90 points, Ristolainen will continue to improve, Reinhart can break out for 60ish points. They will ****** not just miss the playoffs and make it in 18-19.

Mar 26, 2010
Buffalo has a solid team. Expect them to make the playoffs this season.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Apparently not many people have any thoughts on Buffalo.

11 posts? lol yeeesh

Edit: Instead of just throwing shade, I should add my thoughts.

I think Buffalo underperformed last year because of a combination of a number of things (Eichels injury, Ennis forgetting how to play hockey, some duds on defence and poor coaching).

I think they will be significantly better this season. Eichel is one of my favourite players in the league and I see him approaching 35 goals and around 80 points. The coaching/system will be better and the D should be a little better as well (Scandella will be a big help). Still iffy on whether they make the playoffs (if Reinhart ever takes a step they probably will) but I will say I see them JUST missing out by 2-4 points. A big improvement in overall play.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Team I am most excited to watch this year. I'll be watching every game that is not blacked out (and when the Leafs aren't playing). I want to see more of Eichel in an environment free from excuses.

I think they improved a lot. Not sold on their goaltending, still don't think they have a top of the league defense or forward depth, and no true #1 D. However they are a playoff team and will take huge strides this year.

Insomniac99

Oct 26, 2006
Orchard Park, NY
They were one of the most injured teams last year. And of those injuries, a lot of them were major pieces of the team.

The players were pretty disenfranchised with Bylsma and his system as well.

With the upgrades to the team, a healthier year, and a new coach with some real defensive experience, I expect them to be competing for a playoff spot.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Health should help.

Still don't like their D or their depth much though.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Team I am most excited to watch this year. I'll be watching every game that is not blacked out (and when the Leafs aren't playing). I want to see more of Eichel in an environment free from excuses.

I think they improved a lot. Not sold on their goaltending, still don't think they have a top of the league defense or forward depth, and no true #1 D. However they are a playoff team and will take huge strides this year.

What

His team was trash and his pace was 77 points. What was being excused

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Apparently not many people have any thoughts on Buffalo.

11 posts? lol yeeesh

Edit: Instead of just throwing shade, I should add my thoughts.

I think Buffalo underperformed last year because of a combination of a number of things (Eichels injury, Ennis forgetting how to play hockey, some duds on defence and poor coaching).

I think they will be significantly better this season. Eichel is one of my favourite players in the league and I see him approaching 35 goals and around 80 points. The coaching/system will be better and the D should be a little better as well (Scandella will be a big help). Still iffy on whether they make the playoffs (if Reinhart ever takes a step they probably will) but I will say I see them JUST missing out by 2-4 points. A big improvement in overall play.

It's just hard to gauge the team for numerous reasons. Bylsma was really bad, Housley is probably better but how much better and how much impact the change will have is up in the air. Sabres fans are optimistic, but we probably have more question marks coming into the season than any other team.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Also please stop throwing shade at Reinhart. Dude's been the team's best 5on5 forward for 2 years now and last season Sabres were a top 3 xG team in the league with him on the ice and bottom 3 without him. He's good. He's legit. He's only going to get better with a coach that's not actively sabotaging him.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
:sabres

They have made A LOT of changes everywhere. Their defense looks better with the newly acquired LHD. Eichel should play 82 games and is expected to be a PPG player. New coach, new management, should be an interesting team to look at. I expect them to make a playoff push, but think that they barely miss.

will you be doing one for the habs?

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
They're the Winnipeg Jets of the East IMO. They should be better because they have a good team on paper, but coaching has held them back severely.

agree 100%. A team that is always on the cusp but can't break through.

Hously is highly touted but he is essentially an NHL coaching rookie.

Part 3 of their rebuild, wouldn't surprise me if in 2 years they go for part 4.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
agree 100%. A team that is always on the cusp but can't break through.

Hously is highly touted but he is essentially an NHL coaching rookie.

Part 3 of their rebuild, wouldn't surprise me if in 2 years they go for part 4.

Always on the cusp? The Sabres have literally underperformed for 1 season...

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Always on the cusp? The Sabres have literally underperformed for 1 season...

Sabers haven't made the playoffs in the last 5 years.

Last time they made the playoffs was 2011. They are a team that was "tanking" but haven't gotten out of the tank phase.

Losing is easy, turning it around and becoming a consistent winner is the hard part.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Lets see how consistent they can be. Bubble team
pretty much this. lots of hope & optimism this year, but I need to see it before i put them in the playoffs. Some will say no playoffs would be a failure, I disagree, even if they finish 9th or 10th and miss out by a few points, thats a great step up in Housleys 1st year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad