Thoughts on my Draft

I Am Ziggy Palffy

Sep 9, 2003
Really enjoyed my Yahoo (1 yr) league last year, so got another team yesterday. Here it is:

Roster:
C: Getzlaf, Couture
LW: Hall, E. Kane,
RW: Iginla, Simmonds
D: Karlsson, Byfuglien, M. Green, Burns
G: Lundqvist, Schneider, Halak
Bench: Burrows, Hartnell, Tarasenko

Round by Round (pick #6):
1) Henrik Lundqvist: With the top 4 FW's off the board, I decided to take the (probably) most elite Goalie since they make up so much of the stats

2) Taylor Hall: LW is a weaker position this year and if he stays healthy, should be at least PPG, with upside of 90+ pts w/ plenty of goals.

3) Erik Karlsson: Wanted to take a good D by the 3rd. Doing the math, a high scoring D makes a bigger impact than a FW.

4) Ryan Getzlaf: Not a bad pick for the 4th round. Could be PPG and even higher if he stays healthy and Perry scores more. His PIMS should also help.

5) Evander Kane: Again, saw LW as a weak position. So liked the value of a potential 40 goal/80 PIM guy in the 5th round. My LW is now filled.

6) Dustin Byfuglien: B/w him and Karlsson, potentially 600 shots b/w 2 DMAN!! A Dman that scores goals is a plus as well as his PIMS.

7) Logan Couture: Wanted Carter bad in this round, but settled for a guy who can fill LW and might score 40 goals if all things go right. Goals are more valuable than assists in my mind.

8) Mike Green: Had a good end to last season. Plenty of goals. Looks to be on way back to form.

9) Brent Burns: Fleshed out my D w/ this pick. I believe having strong contribution from D makes the scoring difference in a league. He was a beast in the playoffs. Hope his beastliness doesn't get him hurt.

10) Jerome Iginla: Scrambling to get some RW's. Not a bad pick at this point. Hoping for 25 goals.

11) Wayne Simmonds: Again, scrambling for RW's. Not bad value pick at this point: 25 goals/150 PIMS (and power play points)

12) Cory Schneider: Getting Lundqvist early bought me time to focus on Skaters. My strategy was to get an elite G, and 2 quality part-timers (back-ups usually have inflated stats)

13) Alexander Burrows: Wanted to get a back winger. Burrows has dual pos (LW/RW), and might be good for 25/25/100 in VAN. Dislikable player, but always thought he was undervalued in fantasy.

14) Jaroslav Halak: See Schnieder. Looks to get at least 40 games in a solid system in STL. Free agent year.

15) Scot Hartnell: Hoping for bounce back year. But if not, 15th round pick is not a big deal. (25/25/100?)

16) Vlad Tarasenko: Felt the need for some more reinforcement for RW since it was my weakest pos in the draft. Breakout?

Let me know what you think. Fearing injuries might kill me.

Hutzler

Aug 12, 2011
Vancouver
Pretty decent draft.

Pretty sure Burns has changed roles and is playing forward (on the wing) now in San Jose. So if your pool requires 4 d-men...you might want to look into that.

Even as a forward tho, he should be playing on the top line with Thornton and I can see him in the 50-60 pt range.

McHortton

Accidental Tank 2016
Jun 28, 2013
Vancouver
Solid draft for sure! I'm really high on Couture , think he'll have a great breakout year so getting him in the 7th round is really good. Although I'm guessing its only a 10 man draft then?

I Am Ziggy Palffy

Sep 9, 2003
Solid draft for sure! I'm really high on Couture , think he'll have a great breakout year so getting him in the 7th round is really good. Although I'm guessing its only a 10 man draft then?

12 team draft.. Standard stats.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Pretty good draft bud. Depending on what stats your league counts, Byfuglien can actually end up being more valuable than Karlsson, so the fact that you got both is awesome. Couture is a great pick, I personally think he can net 80 points this year. Getzlaf is great value. Kane and Hall give you a two-headed monster on the left. The only thing I'd be concerned about is, like you said, your right wing. Looks like you've got shots and PIMS locked up :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad