Thoughts on McLellan

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
What are people's thoughts on McLellan so far?

He's got a terribly imbalanced lineup so I find it hard to be too critical of him. He has gotten more out of some players than previous coaches and we have more points than last year and not too far put of the playoff picture.

With that being said though, I am starting to see the team reverting back to where they were prior to this season. If the goalie's hadn't put together some great performance's in December, we would be last in the NHL.

My biggest problem boils down to Schultz. Yet another coach that won't hold him accountable to his poor play. McLellan held Ference, Nikitin and Fayne accountable, but failed with Schultz. He continues to put him on the PP even though it is clear he is not part of the solution. I think McLellan is on the verge of losing the locker room for not holding Schultz accountable, if he hasn't started already.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton

He's got a terribly imbalanced lineup so I find it hard to be too critical of him. He has gotten more out of some players than previous coaches and we have more points than last year and not too far put of the playoff picture.

With that being said though, I am starting to see the team reverting back to where they were prior to this season. If the goalie's hadn't put together some great performance's in December, we would be last in the NHL.

My biggest problem boils down to Schultz. Yet another coach that won't hold him accountable to his poor play. McLellan held Ference, Nikitin and Fayne accountable, but failed with Schultz. He continues to put him on the PP even though it is clear he is not part of the solution. I think McLellan is on the verge of losing the locker room for not holding Schultz accountable, if he hasn't started already.

Play Schultz less and you're looking at playing Gryba and Nikitin more.

Schultz will play less once Klefbom and Davidson are back.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I'm done blaming the coach year after year. McLellan is not the problem. Outside of the top pairing, one of which is a rookie, we have an AHL caliber defense. With Klefbom and Davidson in the line up the team can tread water, whereas without them serious flaws exist.

Toydarian

Jun 2, 2009
There is no reasonable way McLellan can be blamed for the Oilers woes.

His defensive core has been anything but NHL capable. Gryba, Nikitin, Ferance, Schultz, 2 rookies (Nurse, Davidson), a sophomore (Klefbom), and 1 quality veteran (Sekera). I don't think there is a single team in the NHL that has a worse collection of defensemen.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
Play Schultz less and you're looking at playing Gryba and Nikitin more.

Schultz will play less once Klefbom and Davidson are back.

Prior to the injuries, Schultz should have been press boxed. I agree he's in a tough position now, but this problem has been happening for a long time. Please explain why Schultz is gifted so many PP minutes, every game?

oilz89*

ummm were 4 pts out of a playoff spot. where werewe with eakins

McDeathbyCheerios*

Prior to the injuries, Schultz should have been press boxed. I agree he's in a tough position now, but this problem has been happening for a long time. Please explain why Schultz is gifted so many PP minutes, every game?
Prior to the injuries Schultz had just come back from a back injury and was looking decent with Klefbom

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I bet he misses being the Sharks coach.

I doubt that. The Sharks had their moment in the sun. They are in tread-water mode from now until they fall apart, much like the Canucks. We are in worse shape today, but we are a young team on the rise. Anyone who appreciates a challenge and with real hope for building something special would prefer to coach our team. He's here for the long haul, and I'm sure both McLellan and Chiarelli are no where near putting their mark on this team.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

because say whatever you want but as an offensive threat Schultz is Oilers' best bet.

McLellan having to play Schultz 20+mins nightly is a slap on Chiarelli's face and a cry to get McLellan some help.
At this point Rundblad off waivers would be a step up over half the players on D.

Schultz Nurse, Sekera, Gryba, Niktin, Fayne really??

how many of those crack the lineup of a cup contender? 1 or 2 max.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

I believe he's on the verge of holding him accountable, with Brad Hunt on the way up. Really, the poor man's options are very limited at this point.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Let's look at the options. Despite his shot, would you trust Nikitin back there? Fayne - no. Gryba - no. Ference - lol. Davidson - big shot but I'm not sure he's a good enough puck dispenser to be there - at least not yet for sure. Klefa - sure. Other than that, you have to put a forward back on the 4th spot, and I'm not sure we have a forward that's suited to that.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
I believe he's on the verge of holding him accountable, with Brad Hunt on the way up. Really, the poor man's options are very limited at this point.

I can only hope so. 1 game in the press box and having Reinhart in for 1 game instead of in the press box earlier in the year may have been enough to send Schultz and the team a message. When you don't send the proper message to all players equally, you lose the respect of all players. Schultz was just a huge reason they lost to Calgary. Maybe if he had been benched even once this year, his work ethic might be different.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I can only hope so. 1 game in the press box and having Reinhart in for 1 game instead of in the press box earlier in the year may have been enough to send Schultz and the team a message. When you don't send the proper message to all players equally, you lose the respect of all players. Schultz was just a huge reason they lost to Calgary. Maybe if he had been benched even once this year, his work ethic might be different.
Except Schultz wasn't playing awful all year. He was okay with Klefbom, okay before he got injured and has been garbage after Klef got hurt. You are talking like he has been garbage all year.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
ummm were 4 pts out of a playoff spot. where werewe with eakins

We're also very fortunate that the Pacific is so terrible this year as well. If it wasn't, EDM would have been out of a playoff spot already ages ago. :laugh:

Except Schultz wasn't playing awful all year. He was okay with Klefbom, okay before he got injured and has been garbage after Klef got hurt. You are talking like he has been garbage all year.

It's all about what have you done for me lately and lately Shultz has been on another level of suckage. :laugh:

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009

Even Schultz's defenders are only willing to admit he was playing "okay" up until recently. "Okay" play and "okay" effort should not be acceptable but unfortunately for some, it is. Bench him when he only puts in an okay effort and maybe that changes.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Even Schultz's defenders are only willing to admit he was playing "okay" up until recently. "Okay" play and "okay" effort should not be acceptable but unfortunately for some, it is. Bench him when he only puts in an okay effort and maybe that changes.
If you bench someone anytime they put in an OK effort, then most teams in the NHL run like 8 players most games then. That and his okay effort was right back after coming in from his back injury.

He has been extremely bad lately and wasn't being sat earlier due to him just coming back from injury so it takes some time to get used to play and then he was playing pretty decent.

and now he isn't getting sat because there is no one to play his minutes

McDeathbyCheerios*

All very similar in skill to Schultz. Hold Schultz accountable and put Nikitin/Fayne on the PP. Those two would not be any worse than 19.
Nikitin is just flat out worse than Schultz.

Fayne is worse offensively easily and slightly better defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad