Thoughts on Keeper League draft

Felix29

Out of pure boredom in the heat of summer, looking for thoughts and opinions on my haul from a 22-team keeper league draft. Probably reached for some guys when I thought they wouldn't be there at my next pick, and was surprised that others fell in my lap...

27-Ty Rattie
29-Stuart Percy
31-Zack Phillips
36-Scott Mayfield
45-Ryan Sproul
49-Casey Cizikas*
50-Nick Cousins
67-Blake Coleman
84-Justin Sefton
95-Travis Ewanyk
128-Andy Miele*
150-Carl Hagelin*
172-Justin Fontaine*

*Hadn't previously beed drafted in this league

Thanks

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Not a huge fan. Too many defenseman that I would consider projects or simple reaches.

And you MUST be a Leafs fan to take Percy at 29th. In my league he went 67th overall and that was for 2011 PLAYERS ONLY. Huge reach by you there.

Hagelin and Miele are too good late picks, though. I also like Cousins.

Chinstrap

Jun 30, 2007
I completely disagree with the above poster about Stuart Percy - I'm not a Leafs fan, and I absolutely love Percy. I had a pretty good feeling he would be taken in the first round, and having seen him play a bunch, I think he has great hockey sense and loads of potential. Taking Zack Phillips that late is a great pick, and I like that you took Ryan Sproul. Any Miele was a complete steal...great value.

I'm not a believer in Blake Coleman, despite his gaudy numbers, and I don't think Cizikas is going to be much better than a third-liner in the NHL, if he even makes it. I like Ty Rattie, but I'm surprised you took him so high.

Like all drafts, you win some, you lose some. Hard to call players "steals" this early, but you definitely bought low on some players, and I think that's a good strategy.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I completely disagree with the above poster about Stuart Percy - I'm not a Leafs fan, and I absolutely love Percy. I had a pretty good feeling he would be taken in the first round, and having seen him play a bunch, I think he has great hockey sense and loads of potential. Taking Zack Phillips that late is a great pick, and I like that you took Ryan Sproul. Any Miele was a complete steal...great value.

I'm not a believer in Blake Coleman, despite his gaudy numbers, and I don't think Cizikas is going to be much better than a third-liner in the NHL, if he even makes it. I like Ty Rattie, but I'm surprised you took him so high.

Like all drafts, you win some, you lose some. Hard to call players "steals" this early, but you definitely bought low on some players, and I think that's a good strategy.

I am fine with Percy as a player...a reliable NHL player...but this is fantasy hockey as guys like Percy simply don't carry as much value here as they would in a real life draft.

Chinstrap

Jun 30, 2007
I am fine with Percy as a player...a reliable NHL player...but this is fantasy hockey as guys like Percy simply don't carry as much value here as they would in a real life draft.

Yeah, that's a good point, he could have gone lower because of that.

But I don't think he's an awful defense selection as far as fantasy goes, either. All D have less value than forwards, but I don't think he's necessarily going to be a shutdown D type of player. He can put up points, and he did so with limited ice time in Mississauga this year. In any case, I think whoever took him at 67 in your draft got a good deal on him.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Yeah I have to agree with Renegade, it doesn't look like you came away with too much top-end talent there. A lot of those guys might be solid NHLers but will probably not have a lot of fantasy value at any point in their careers (Czikas, Ewanyk, Percy, Mayfield). You might have to take some solace in being a better NHL GM than a fantasy GM, which isn't so bad either ;)

Hard to say how well you did without knowing who was on the board when you picked though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad