Thoughts on Karlsson so far?

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
He’s a dynamic guy. Easily a top-30 d-man to have ever played the game.

In today’s league, you need 4 or 5 game-breakers to win the last game of the season. He’s obviously a “game-breaker.”
We have 2 others and everyone knows who they are. So we have 3 in total.

We have a few guys who are like 1/2 game-breakers. Guys like Rusty, Kris, and Jake. They can be those guys…but it depends. Everything has to go right for them.

What EK ultimately does, is give us a chance. Now we can make the dance again. A lot of things would have to go right, but the playoffs are a funny thing. Don't underestimate 2-4 old guys who want to put a final stamp on the dominance they displayed over their careers.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
Exceeds expectations—plays a daring game, thinks the game at a high level, really thrilled that Sid and Geno get to play with him. Hasn’t made the PP better yet, but I don’t think that’s his fault. On top of all that, his brand of hockey is fun to watch.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
He makes some costly mistakes here and there and isn't a great defender but the good outweighs the bad so far. He is ridiculously good offensively, which it to be expected, but the way he makes an all star level D-Man like Letang look rather ordinary by comparison is kind of crazy.

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
I think he’s lived up to the hype but to say I’m disappointed in the power play is an understatement. I feel early on he was deferring to other players instead of doing everything himself like he did in San Jose. Despite our cores age these are still probably the best players he’s ever had on his team.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Exciting to watch. Absolutely explosive driver of offense. Not the most defensively responsible d-man but he more than makes up for it. Probably the most interesting player not named Crosby or Malkin the Pens have had in 2 decades. Seems like a very positive guy in the room, too. I have no complaints.

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
Better defensively than I expected but makes brainfarts on tough situations like a rookie.. or geno and Tanger..

Sometimes can shoot well but usually he's surprisingly terrible at shooting, many times his shot is blocked or he misses the puck.

Very good offensively but he's not a Hughes or Makar level good as I was told

His attitude seems good

I would've expected Letang for Karlsson change to improve our pp but somehow it's much worse this year..

Entertaining player, fun to watch and has lot to bring on the ice. I really like that he's part of the team and worth it but I brought some negative parts of his game here because I don't think he's as great as some guys here think.

Last edited:

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
He's a +10 and point per game. Fantastic.
Pettersson gets a lot of credit for awesome defensive play, supporting his buddy. But still, EK's much better on defense than I expected.
He didn't boost the PP how I hoped, although I question how much of that is on him. I mean, I didn't expect it to become a top 8PP or w/e just by changing one guy, but I was hoping for it being in the top half of the league lol.

The most important thing is he makes the product more watchable. That's what people care about at this stage for the Penguins.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
About what I expected TBH, maybe even slightly above (was expecting more of an adjustment I guess).

One added bonus is that he appears to have lifted some of the weight off of Tanger. He must be happy to have someone else back there that can carry the puck without it looking like a live hand grenade.

• Haha
Reactions: pi314

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
He's as advertised, probably not going to be at last years rate point wise, slightly negative here and there, but he's totally been a plus player. I'd take the drop in production for the better +/- version of himself, easily.

He's very dynamic which we all knew well before they got him.

Erik has been AAA+.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I didn't expect him to put up these numbers. I know he hit 100 last year but he was the entire offense last year. In SJ the puck always flowed through him. Here he has numerous other players who demand the puck. But it has worked out surprisingly well. He's on pace for about 80 points. So far so good. I hope he can keep it up for several more years.

Reactions: pi314

Sorry

May 18, 2005
Exactly what everyone who has watched his entire career expected; Dynamic with the puck, swashbuckling high risk/high reward plays at the point, brutal in front of his own net, great recovery speed to mitigate some of the risks, good with the stick in the passing lanes. He has flaws but overall, a net positive.

As a Pens fan now that he is on the team? He is a treat to watch, especially in the twilight of this era. I just wish he would shoot the puck more. He is still deferring a bit too much. He has a couple games where he starts firing, but not enough consistently. His shot from the point is the best on the team and has been an underutilized weapon. Overall he has settled in well so far, clearly. I just wish two of the best passers of the puck all time would set his shot up more on the PP rather than the other way around. Guess I repeated myself there.

Overall he has been and A+ addition. Can't imagine this team right now without him.

Last edited:

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Smooth as hell. Not really noticing the "can't defend" tag he has. But maybe we'll find out later on how bad he can be.

But so far, he controls the game when he's out there, he doesn't need to do much defensively because he can make a play in half a second and keeps guys honest.

He's amazing. I'd argue he's the best defenseman I've ever seen on the Penguins, and I think you can make a damn convincing argument he's the best defenseman in Penguins history.
I wouldn't undersell prime two way Letang.

Still say 2016 Letang because he shut things down as well and was the best player in the playoffs. Let's wait and see EK in a high leverage situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad