Thoughts on Jimmy Howard?

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Would you prefer we lose him by "low-balling"? LOL.

We can't really win. Pay him or lose him. IF you lose him, you say Holland is CHEAP.
If he signs him... "What a waste of money"

Honestly I can't expect anyone to be happy with any signings that happen in detroit... ever.

Unless we get Datsyuk to extend his contract for 4Mil :P hahahah

if the market states jimmy is a 5.3 million dollar a year goalie on a long term contract then yah its a fair value deal, if KH does not feel that is correct then let him walk or trade him and go in a different direction.

5.3 million for jimmy howard on a 6 year deal is terrible mgmt by KH if true

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I would trade him if that's what he wanted. Goalie position is far too volatile to pay that kind of money for that long.

Howard is a good goalie, not great. You don't overpay for good players.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I would trade him if that's what he wanted. Goalie position is far too volatile to pay that kind of money for that long.

Howard is a good goalie, not great. You don't overpay for good players.

We don't have any great players though...

So I guess we should let them all walk.

Flip wont be worth it
Howard wont be worth it
Franzen isn't worth it
Brunner won't be worth it if he asks for 4.5 Mil right?
(Statistically Brunner is worth a franzen deal (4-5 Mil))

Just saying none of them are worth it... if the price gets too high.

Meanwhile Datsyuk is worth ANYTHING. Anything he wants. I would agree to it. 11Mil per season.. Ok.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
if the market states jimmy is a 5.3 million dollar a year goalie on a long term contract then yah its a fair value deal, if KH does not feel that is correct then let him walk or trade him and go in a different direction.

So your point is he should wait to UFA?

What if Howard's Market price is 5.8 Mil?? (highest bidder bids 5.8Mil)

No matter what, you were going to be upset with Howards deal. And Holland for signing him.

RedWingsNow*

No matter what, you were going to be upset with Howards deal. And Holland for signing him.

As long as there isn't a NTC or NMC, this deal is decent.

Here's the problem with paying tons of money to goalies.
Play good defense, and you make average goalies look great.
Play poor defense, and the Luongos and Howards look like hell

Personally, I'd prefer finding a decent goalie, paying him a basement salary and spending the money at center and at defense.

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
We don't have any great players though...

So I guess we should let them all walk.

Flip wont be worth it
Howard wont be worth it
Franzen isn't worth it
Brunner won't be worth it if he asks for 4.5 Mil right?
(Statistically Brunner is worth a franzen deal (4-5 Mil))

Just saying none of them are worth it... if the price gets too high.

Meanwhile Datsyuk is worth ANYTHING. Anything he wants. I would agree to it. 11Mil per season.. Ok.

The task of the GM is still meant to be a balancing act, in which someone like Holland is supposed to always be calculating risk versus reward, salary versus potential, and current assets versus potential assets in terms of building an optimal team for present, future or present and future success.

Kenny has been sitting on his hands for a long, LONG time, and he has been such a passive GM for this team that he has built this team and acted as GM according to his naive concept of player/franchise loyalty in the salary cap era.

The most radical moves he has made of late were those where he brought proven quantities back to Detroit in Samuelsson and Quincey. He clearly acts when he feels comfortable to do so, and when he is comfortable enough to act he brings in players he is comfortable with. The Hossa signing was not his doing; if Kenny was left to his own designs, this team would never have seen 81 dressed in red and white, and there would have been no acquisitions of note.

From what we have seen of the modern Ken Holland, he puts his effort into re-signing players and perpetuating his notion of player/franchise loyalty. If he was dead serious about putting Parise and Suter on this roster, they be here presently. The Franzen signing made no sense, the Quincey signing made no sense, and this Howard signing makes very little sense in terms of optimal team-structure.

I would much rather have a GM that steps out of his comfort zone from time to time and takes serious, calculated risks than a GM who is content hiding in his shell with his comfort zone and outdated notions of hometown discounts.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

i would never be upset with KH if he offers players exact market rates and gets them. if he wants a player then go after that said player hard, if the player chooses elsewhere but you made him the best offer based on what the market had said he was worth and what the player wanted but the player went elsewhere for personal reasons or a bidding war occured driving the price up a million then so be it, thats life

as for my personal belief about jimmy howard, i think he is a good goalie, in the 10-15 top starting goalie range but that for 5.3 million a season for 6 years their are other and perhaps better options available(ie, ryan miller)

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

If the market says it's fair, how is that terrible management?

Seems like it's good management to get him at market price. Isn't that what's currently being argued about in another thread as far as Holland "lowballing" players?

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
If the market says it's fair, how is that terrible management?

Seems like it's good management to get him at market price. Isn't that what's currently being argued about in another thread as far as Holland "lowballing" players?

i simply dont think jimmy howard is worth that kind money nor term and their are better options available

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad