thoughts on D.Boyle

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
There's like two different descriptions of Boyle here. One saying he's still a good player just not what he once was. The other saying he's awful. So biases aside, which is it?

I think it's the former, trending towards the latter but that people disagree about the rate of transition.

I don't think his deal with harm NYR at all.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Boyle will likely be paired with Staal. He'll get decent minutes, but AV may swap Klein in and shelter Boyle if he is struggling. Right now, we are just hoping for someone who can chip in offense from our blue line. Last season McD was the only guy who could and anyone is better than Richards QBing the pp.

I'm looking at the Stralman for Boyle trade off essentially giving up defense for some offense. Would that be the right way to think about it?

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Boyle will likely be paired with Staal. He'll get decent minutes, but AV may swap Klein in and shelter Boyle if he is struggling. Right now, we are just hoping for someone who can chip in offense from our blue line. Last season McD was the only guy who could and anyone is better than Richards QBing the pp.

I'm looking at the Stralman for Boyle trade off essentially giving up defense for some offense. Would that be the right way to think about it?

He will help the offense on the power play. But he will not actually help make the power play better if that makes sense lol.

He will be as close to useless as you can get for the offense at even strength.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Pairing him with Staal? Already sounds like he'll be playing too much.

Well Staal would cover for him a little defensively. We could pair Klein with Staal and have a better defensive pair, but that would leave Moore and Boyle and I'm not confident in either in their own zone. That 3rd pair would have to be incredibly sheltered.

Can Boyle hold his own defensively? Is he decent in his own end? Or his he just horrible at this point?

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Well Staal would cover for him a little defensively. We could pair Klein with Staal and have a better defensive pair, but that would leave Moore and Boyle and I'm not confident in either in their own zone. That 3rd pair would have to be incredibly sheltered.

Can Boyle hold his own defensively? Is he decent in his own end? Or his he just horrible at this point?

Horrible isnt the right word but he was never that great to begin with. I expect a bit of a rebound from him to be honest. That said, third pairing and 2nd PP is where he should be.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I agree with most of the posts. He isn't a "liability" defensively, but he isn't great. He should be a third pairing defenseman during even strength (which he wasn't with the Sharks), be a power play quarterback, and see little to no penalty killing time.

He's lost a few steps, but I expect him to bounce back this year. Hopefully, he's fully recovered from that nasty Lapierre hit from last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad