Thoughts on Crombeen?

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
I personally think hes just a body on the ice and does not do a damn thing. 3 points in 18 games played which I'm sure are all secondary assists. He can't win a fight and hasn't attempted one in a few games. I really thought a fight could have fired the team up yesterday but he was nowhere to be found. Watching him it looks like he can barely keep the puck on his stick. What does this guy bring to the table?

Also Hall really not doing much.

Pretty upset with the way this team turned out to be this season. :cry:

DangleDoppler

Jul 14, 2009
I have liked his play (minus the lame attempts at fighting)... He's a solid 4th liner for us...He handles the puck pretty well and pushes it forward. Unlike some on the team who are willy nilly with the puck in the defensive zone he manages to skate it out of the zone and dump it into the zone.

As far as his point production goes, what do you expect from a 4th liner averaging about 9-10 minutes on the ice?

I didn't expect him to light the lamp, and whatever he provides in that area is gravy...I think he's done his job of being a gritty 4th liner very well.

You definitely can't point to him as a reason we've been playing poorly. In fact, I would say he's been one of the bright spots this season. He just needs to stop trying to fight because he isn't much of one IMO.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Hall is a faceoff taking version of Crombeen. I love Adam Hall. He kills penalties and wins faceoffs. I notice when Hall isn't in the lineup. Crombeen has been pretty invisible since Rinaldo rang his bell. Which isn't a bad thing really. He plays a simple and safe game. Pucks deep, make the other team work 200' etc.

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
Hall is a faceoff taking version of Crombeen. I love Adam Hall. He kills penalties and wins faceoffs. I notice when Hall isn't in the lineup. Crombeen has been pretty invisible since Rinaldo rang his bell. Which isn't a bad thing really. He plays a simple and safe game. Pucks deep, make the other team work 200' etc.

Apart from how the team relies on Hall at the dots (especially on the PK), they are fairly similar players for the Lightning as both keep it "simply and safe" when they're on the ice and both are useful as shot-blocking PKers. It may be a marginal difference but Crombeen, as the better skater and more capable puck-handler, is the more dynamic player.

kisin

Sep 22, 2009
Czech republic
Crombeen is a solid 4th liner. On the other hand, since we're quite deep in terms of forwards depth, I doubt he'll be offered a new deal. To be honest, I'd expected him to be more tougher, doesn't bring as much as I'd hoped as far as hits are concerned. We are still way too soft. Of course that's not only his fault but he doesn't help it either.

CC321

Jun 23, 2012
Crombeen is an above average 4th liner. I'd like him to hit more and fight less though.

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
Crombeen is a solid 4th liner. On the other hand, since we're quite deep in terms of forwards depth, I doubt he'll be offered a new deal.

Probably not. Same might be said for Hall, though the org. may keep him around for insurance purposes (for face-offs).

jg39

SFY is great
Aug 16, 2007
NC
I do not think much of BJ. What does he do? He's not our best fighter, he doesn't make big hits, he's marginal at best with the puck...I will compliment his ability to gain the zone. He could teach the rest of the team that. To me, he is someone that should be replaced with a physical winger from Syracuse who wants a shot at the NHL... Crombeen's play seems different (in a bad way) since Rinaldo brained his damage.

Adam Hall has a role in the team that is seriously overlooked. The guy wins faceoffs, and is important to the PK. He dropped the gloves after we were down 3-0 to Pit when seemingly no one else would. He actually gives a **** when he's on the ice. He shows the grit and desire that this team needs so badly. For a 4th line center, he's a strong player.

I don't think GB is using him enough. I'm not saying he should be a third line center, but for his role, I think he fills it well.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
I like the speed and energy he brings. He needs to know when to fight and when not to. He picks a bone sometimes when it's not needed. I also feel his fights don't energize the team. I've said it from the beginning. He may be a fighter, but he's not a very good one. That isn't to say he loses all the time. I'm just saying his fights are kind of lame most of the time. :laugh:

bov

Nov 13, 2010
If Crombeen didn't fight, we wouldn't have traded for him. The Rinaldo knockout definitely took some wind out of his sails and clearly damaged his reputation, but he has been pretty much the player I expected him to be. He's not the most exciting scrapper, but he is better in that department than he has shown with us this season.

As for Adam Hall, I will never understand the love. Aside from faceoffs, he's an average grinder at best.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I don't really like him that much right now.

I'll admit that he set a bad first impression for me during the lockout when he was with Orlando for two games. There are guys who have overcome bad first impressions, even this season, so it is possible, but I don't think he plays and fights with enough drive.

At present, I don't see him coming back next season.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
I expect both Hall and Crombeen to sign elsewhere after this season.

TBLHoser

Jul 2, 2009
Sunshine State
I never understood what was so great about Crombeen when we got him from St. Louis to begin with. All the St. Louis posters kept talking about what a loss it was and he was a tough guy who will drop the mitts when needed. Then you go to youtube and every video of him fighting, he's getting beat up. ...Just Don't get it. Bring back Rudy or Enrico....

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
He's an above average 4th liner. True 4th line guys aren't playing on the PK and he does. He's also a hell of a lot better than Labrie and we dont have anyone else in the system like him. I haven't seen enough of Angelidis to comment on him. Teams aren't running our players cause they don't fear him, they run us cause the whole team is soft. Crombeen can't be out every shift sticking up for people, Brewer is a big p*ssy, Killorn hasn't scraped with anyone, Hedman doesn't do enough, Vinny had to fight a couple of times cause no one else will. Everyone on the team is a man and should be able to take care of themselves but I don't see it from them.

TropicalFruitGirl2

A Peachy Hockey Gal!
Feb 23, 2013
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
Crombeen was brought in as a penalty killer and 3rd/4th line grinder first, fighter second.
We all know TB plays the 'skill first' game and the way the team is being run now, you won't see a pure fighter on this team.

BJ drops the gloves, sure, but he isn't a top-of-the line fighter. Never has been.
Thing is, he is really the only one on the team that could do the fighting majors without costing his team....Lecavalier and Aulie are two others that can fight, but again, that's not really their game, and we really don't WANT them doing that.
Malone is another one (when he is in there), but again, you want his front-of-the-net presence more so than having him sit in the box for fighting.

I too believe the Rinaldo fight took something out of Crombeen though.
Who knows, maybe he has been advised by the coaching and medical staff to stay away from fighting if he can for a bit. Who knows the damage that was done when his head hit the ice.

Still, his puck possesion/grinding and penalty kill ability remain, he still takes the bodies on opponents, and can still be found in the middle of scrums sticking up for players.

I agree the Bolts need to be a bit tougher, but they will have to do it with players who are tough in the 'hockey' sense....taking the body, making life miserable for forwards entering the zone, etc....and if they do want to get some other players who can fight, that guy has to be able to play the game as well.

I honestly don't think the Bolts will sign a guy like Colton Orr, John Scott for example....more like the kind of players Steve Downie or a Brandon Prust are...tough players who can fight AND play the game.

If TB REALLY wants to get ahold of a tough guy and don't care that his hockey skills are less then the standard they usually settle for, then perhaps they should give Minnesota a call and inquire about Matt Kassian.

He is currently playing in the AHL, is a monster of a man, good with the fists, and intimidates others...even has a hint of stick handling as I have seen him with the Wild go towards the net and draw crowds due to his sheer size approaching the goal....he won't deke anyone or go top shelf, but in a pile up, I bet this guy can find the garbage and whack a few in.
But Minny placed him on waivers not too long ago and no one took him...so I am guessing a team like the Lightning really aren't interested.

But back to Crombeen...yea, he is what I was expecting from him. He could use a partner to help him police though.
PC Labrie can do that too, but Labrie doesn't offer much else in other areas of the game to justify having him AND Crombeen playing at the same time on a regular basis.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
BJ has done plenty to earn his spot and keep on this team. He gets stuck in a rough spot - light and middleweights generally dont want to fight him, so he has to go after heavies and get rocked once in a while because those are the only fights he can get. I'd still rather him just play his chippy possession game, because thats what we need and why we're getting killed right now.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
BJ has done plenty to earn his spot and keep on this team. He gets stuck in a rough spot - light and middleweights generally dont want to fight him, so he has to go after heavies and get rocked once in a while because those are the only fights he can get. I'd still rather him just play his chippy possession game, because thats what we need and why we're getting killed right now.

I disagree with the first part. Crombeen very rarely fights heavyweights, and he stays within his own "weight class" the vast majority of the time.

I do think his fights overshadow the rest of his game, though. There's a reason he's staying in the lineup while Hall, a Boucher favorite, is getting scratched lately.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Are there any true heavyweights left? If you look at the waiver wire there have been a bunch of heavyweights sent down. Teams aren't playing the 5-6 minutes guy who can't play and just looks to scrap. We don't need another Labrie type player, BJ is ok at his job. Teams really aren't running us, Letang hit Conacher a few times not Engelland. Letang isn't gonna drop with BJ and trying to jump him is a joke. We need Purcell, Pouliot, Carle and Brewer to start jumping in for Conacher or Vinny, they're big boys and need to play like it.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Are there any true heavyweights left? If you look at the waiver wire there have been a bunch of heavyweights sent down. Teams aren't playing the 5-6 minutes guy who can't play and just looks to scrap. We don't need another Labrie type player, BJ is ok at his job. Teams really aren't running us, Letang hit Conacher a few times not Engelland. Letang isn't gonna drop with BJ and trying to jump him is a joke. We need Purcell, Pouliot, Carle and Brewer to start jumping in for Conacher or Vinny, they're big boys and need to play like it.

Purcell and Carle fighting? Ok then...

Vinny can handle himself fine.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Purcell and Carle fighting? Ok then...

Vinny can handle himself fine.

That's the problem with the team too many soft players. Crosby is a star and has dropped em a few times. Purcell and Carle don't need to look to scrap but they need to get their noses dirty in a scrum.

CC321

Jun 23, 2012
How many of you would be willing to trade Purcell for a Downie type guy I wonder?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad